What's new

Lawrence of Arabia restored 70mm question. (1 Viewer)

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
Please, someone tell me that I can catch this in theaters somewhere in the US?

I missed out on it a few years and I an dying to see my favorite film for the first time on the bigscreen. I have plenty of FF miles to kill and I would fly into any state for the day just to see this.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
it runs 2-4 times a year in Los angeles swinging around the various houses, it also made a pretty big circuit of most major cities a few years back.

Anyway watch these sites:
www.oscars.org (if the academy screens it in LA or NYC it'll be announced on their events page)
www.arclightcinemas.com - this is where it seems to often run in LA, ran for two months back in fall 2002 been there a couple times since for a week or special showing.
www.egyptiantheatre.com - both the Aero theatre and the Egyptian (part of the American cinematheque, both reachable through that main link) run LoA twice a year or more between the two of them.

Adam

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
There is a 70mm showing at the Ziegfield theater in New York City scheduled in March. Check their site for more info. Or check the Cinema Treasures site for more info on the Ziegfield theatre (this is a site about classic theatres). I know you will enjoy seeing LOA in 70mm.... you really do have to see it in this format to fully appreciate the film.

SteveJKo

Second Unit
I believe the dates for Lawrence Of Arabia at the Ziegfeld are March 24th through March 30th, with two shows per day.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Since you live in Austin, the Paramount Theater has a summer film series that usually includes 70mm films.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
I did! In Montreal! The print has so much detail in it, an example, Lawrence's guide points to a caravan walking across the desert very far away. Even on the DVD, it looks like nothing more than a smudge. But in 70mm, you can actually see them very clearly!

There were half a dozen people in the projection booth during intermission all wanting to take a closer look at the print. Man is it ever big! It made you feel as if you were looking at film sheets glued end to end!

Oh. The movie was fantastic too. :D

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the help all! I will keep my eye out.

My girlfriend saw that it was playing a few years ago and we just missed out on it...I was very disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks