What's new

Lawrence of Arabia - next additional dates set (1 Viewer)

Jeff Bannow

Agent
Going to catch this at the Main Art in Royal Oak ... it's just 2 miles down the street from me! :D
They state that they will be showing this all week too .. may catch it twice ...

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Rain ;

Keep watching this thread as a few Canadian dates are on the horizon. I'll post further details when they're confirmed.

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know of any Phoenix dates? I don't even think this city has any arthouse theaters. :frowning:

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
>Are there any 70mm capable theaters in Atlanta?
Yes, the Fox and the Tara.
That would be great if it returned to the Fox. They showed it twice that one summer and I went both times. It's driving me nuts that it's not showing here in Atlanta. But if I KNEW it was coming next summer I could be patient. :)

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Has anyone seen both the new prints compared to the prints that were playing in the past 12 years or so?

I'm told they are using DTS now and that it pales in comparison to the 70mm mag track that was on the previous prints.

Jeff

Paul Linfesty

Stunt Coordinator
Some of the new prints are DTS, some are mag-striped. I know the LA and Washington D.C. runs are mag, there are supposed to be others as well

SteveP

Second Unit
The dialogue on the DTS 70MM print shown recently at the Ziegfeld in NYC did NOT seem directionalized. I would much prefer good old 6-track mag, tape hiss and all.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
I know the Coolidge CAN to the orignal mag track (they did it for 2001, and it sounded fantastic!) And AFAIK, they don't have a DTS system, so hopefully I'll get it in all it's glory.

For anyone that doesn't know, the 6-track original sound track features five (count 'em, FIVE!) front channels, and a single rear surround. An SDDS soundtrack could have represented the original sound track accurately (and perhaps even better.) Of course, not so many theaters could play it...

This will be only my 2nd feature film (see above) in 70mm. I was quite impressed, before. An old co-worker of mine refuses to watch LOA if anything BUT 70mm!

I see a lot of IMAX/OmniMAX films. Man, I wish someone would make a feature film using it; I continue to be shocked by it's image quality. Especially after seeing 35mm blown-up on a 75ft wide screen. Obviously there's the cost, running time, and 35mm down-coversion prints (and the framing issues here) to be dealt with. But for the right film, and with a director with enough pull, it could certainly be done on occasion.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
An SDDS soundtrack could have represented the original sound track accurately (and perhaps even better.) Of course, not so many theaters could play it...
SDDS is not a sound format that's available on 70mm prints. It's mag or DTS only.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
I figured the DTS track was pretty much a hack added onto 70mm. Seems silly they didn't add SDDS since it could support the original soundtrack. Oh well...

Lanny Hoff

Stunt Coordinator
Just saw this tonight in Minneapolis. Man, what an experience!
My favorite movie of all time, no question. The presentation at the Heights Theater is superb. The picture is so detailed and the colors are so rich and saturated that it looks almost 3-D!
Truly a wondrous experience!
Check out The Heights' website: www.heightstheater.com.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
Welp,
I saw LOA earleir today at the Coolidge. Aside from a little trouble they had opening the curtains, and when it seemed to drop into mono when Bentley and Fizel were meeting for the first time (though also seemed to sometime go back to multi-channel -- and it only happened during this scene, that I noticed...) it was great.
And for Robert A. Harris:
Geez... The DVD really is pretty awful! I can't believe how different it is, especially after comparing it once I got home. I used to own the LD, but sold it, I'm afraid... I guess I'll need to find it again. (IIRC, the Criterion one is the only one with accurate color, but based on an inferior print...?) How frustrating... :frowning: (Perhaps even more so, for you!)
It looked beatiful in the theater though. The print was generally very clean, and in splendid 70mm is really amazing at times.
And as a film, this has only made me love it more (which is tough to do.) I'm always amazed by how quickly times goes while watching. Not much action... but never a dull moment.

PaulEB

Stunt Coordinator
Bill,

I saw LOA on November 5th and they had the same problem with the curtain. This is the first 70mm film I've seen on a large screen and I was truly amazed.

I'm hoping the Coolidge will be showing something else in this format soon. I recently saw Sunset Boulevard at the Brattle Theater in Cambridge, but this obviously was not a new print. They also had many problems with the projector including the fact that you could hear the noise of the projector.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Sunday December 1 - Washington D.C. - The Uptown
You know, I was trusting RH's word, then I found out that "Lawrence" has been playing last week and this week at the Uptown. Does anyone know if this means that it might be returning on the 1st, or if this is a wrong date.

That's why I hate these limited releases. You never know when they are comming to town...

Jason

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Jason,
I now have the same question. I own the DVD, but haven't watched it. I'd like my first viewing to be 70mm. Does the Uptown have a website? Perhaps a subscription? Time to search...

Take care,
Chuck

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The Uptown does not have a website. I do know that Harry Potter will be opening there on Friday, so this is the last week of this run. If it isn't coming back, I'm going to be a little upset. I kinda made my plans with it being in the theaters on the first...

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks