Lawrence of Arabia Cool Feature

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken_McAlinden, Oct 13, 2001.

1. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I just installed the latest 2.0 version of the Interactual PC Friendly software from the Snow White disc and noticed that they have finally fixed a bug that had made it incompatible with my software player on anamorphic titles. As a result, I was playing around with some of the DVD-ROM features on other titles and was stunned in particular by how great the LoA DVD-ROM content was.
    One of the big knocks on this disc was that the extras, including the documentary, were a bit of a mish-mash and not particularly in-depth. If you have a PC and DVD-ROM, however, there is an awesome feature where they have quite literally annotated every chapter of the film on DVD. It works like other titles with script to screen features, except you get the annotations instead of the script. It gives you information about when and where each scene was shot, the historical basis for the dramatized scenes, and relevant facts about the film's production. You can also watch the scene in miniature in a side window.
    For instance, on chapter 48, it gives a description of the contents of the extended balcony scene between Lawrence and Allenby as well as the reason they were not able to include it in the 1989 restoration (primarily the inability to get an acceptable performance of a Jack Hawkins sound-alike to dub in the missing audio).
    Strangely, the description of this "Archives of Arabia" feature on the DVD makes it sound like it is nothing but a collection of historic photographs, but the textual annotations are wonderful. I officially no longer have a problem with the extras on this disc, but am still bothered by the bad edits in the audio re-mix.
    Regards,
    ------------------
    Ken McAlinden
    Livonia, MI USA
    [Edited last by Ken_McAlinden on October 13, 2001 at 09:04 PM]

2. DanL

DanL Stunt Coordinator

Of course, why they couldn't have done this for everyone (i.e. a normal DVD feature) is the question. Surely some kind of in-between could have been programmed to make it into a standard extra.

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

4. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

Sounds interesting! Now, all I have to do is get a computer with a DVD-ROM in order to take advantage of these features!

5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    quote: Sounds interesting! Now, all I have to do is get a computer with a DVD-ROM in order to take advantage of these features![/quote]I was just doing my part to keep up a long standing tradition here at the HTF. Every fifth post should make you want to buy new hardware! [​IMG] Compared to the average upgrade cost, however, a DVD-ROM is pretty cheap. Of course, Mac users are left in the cold by these features which is probably the most legitimate gripe about them.
    Regards,
    ------------------
    Ken McAlinden
    Livonia, MI USA
    [Edited last by Ken_McAlinden on October 16, 2001 at 08:04 AM]