What's new

Lawrence of Arabia coming to IMAX screens in 2003 (1 Viewer)

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Amen. These films HAVE a large format already. It's called normal 5 perf/70mm. Buy a freaking projector and show them properly. Is film preservation really this hard an equation?
Excellent point, and a good reason to avoid all IMAX presentations of non-IMAX-composited films regardless of whether or not they keep the OAR intact. Lawrence of Arabia was not shot for an IMAX-style viewing experience. Bigger is NOT necessarily better.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
the next Harry Potter movie, and LOTR: ROTK will be released in IMAX day-and-date with the normal version
I don't think that's been confirmed yet, but it has been rumored for a while. But these two movies, being shot in Super 35, MIGHT be able to get away with no cropping. I know the effects in LOTR at least were hard matted to 1.85 or 1.66. If Peter Jackson and Andrew Lesnie are happy with it, that's good enough for me.
But any cropping of Lawrence, especially with David Lean dead and gone, would be disgusting.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I saw Matrix: Reloaded on an IMAX screen, and I don't remember any cropping. I think they letterboxed it because I remember the film not filling the entire gigantic screen and seeing small black bars on the top and bottom.
But my memory is as liable as a leaky pipe. :)
BTW, what kind of search string should you use when looking for 70mm theaters?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
ROTK will not be on IMAX at release. There's no space in the release schedule for it (at least day and date). Matrix wasn't cropped

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
No, it was blown up using IMAX's new process. It works really well in some places, but in other the DVNR is so extreme that it freeze frames the background which gives it unnatural shifts when people move.
Oh, and Lawrence fishburne had BAD acne as a kid. Craters I tell you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks