1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Lawrence of Arabia coming to IMAX screens in 2003

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Patrick McCart, Nov 27, 2002.

1. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    IMAX has decided to re-release a classic film every year in IMAX starting with Lawrence of Arabia in 2003.

I pray that Columbia and IMAX will show it uncut and hard-matted onto the film. If it's another 1.33:1 presentation and edited down, this will HAVE to be stopped.

2. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

God help us if they continue this editing and cropping for IMAX.

3. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

Isn't there a law or something that prohibits cropping a great film like Lawrence of Arabia down to 1.33:1?!
    If not, there should be!!! [​IMG]

4. David Brown Eyes

David Brown Eyes Second Unit

Not possible?

croping LOA is unthinkable and shortening it to 2 hours is even more abhorrant.

I will skip this one..... blech.

5. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    my guess is they'll show it with an intermission, and have two Imax reels, at about two hours each, since the intermission doesn't happen until just about the two hour mark. I think the first half may run over two hours, but there are a few places they could put the intermission instead, such as when Lean says "Who are you" blasphemy I know, but it would prevent the film being cut.

I wonder if they'll essentially take the 70 mm source and put it in the Imax frame, blowing it up so that it fits width wise and then just have masks on the rest of the frame. This would seem to me to minimize the blowup from 35mm elements, and have a pretty good picture, though definitely not as good as a native 70mm print.

Adam

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

If this is not OAR

If this is cut in any way

I will actively PICKET against it

7. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Oh god.

Paging Robert Harris, paging Robert Harris.

8. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I applaud IMAX for the effort they make at keeping classic films alive on huge screens and first rate auditoriums. But, why chop up the films? If you are going to present classic films, especially one as respected and revered as LOA, go the whole nine yards. If the print is in 70mm, show it in 70mm. If you're not equipped to show it in that format, don't make the committment to screen it. This editing and chopping of films is just plain wrong.

Bruce

9. Vic_T

Vic_T Stunt Coordinator

LOA is the most effective use of scope ever! Cropping it for any reason is an insult! [​IMG]

10. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

It wasn't shot "scope" with anamorphic lenses. It was 65mm using spherical Super Panavision 70 lenses (just as Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet was filmed). ~2.20:1 aspect ratio without magnetic 6 track audio on the negative.

If this film was butchered for IMAX, then this practice must not stand.

Dan

11. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

IMAX simply cannot show widescreen movies in their OAR. The IMAX screen has always been goofy being higher then wide. That's why Cinerama was better. Of course it will be cropped and shortened. Neither Apollo 11 or SW were full width. The system will not allow for especially long films due to reel capacity. No need to wait and see. IMAX is struggling to make money. These efforts will eventually fail (as bogus Cinerama failed). It ain't the reel thing!

12. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

Let's wait until offical word on the technical aspects before we all start sending death threats to IMAX. [​IMG]
    I personally believe the IMAX version of this would be identical to what Adam described: the 70mm frame letterboxed onto the print, with an intermission around the 2 hour mark (I'm not exactly sure what a typical IMAX reel will hold), even though the film's orignal intermission was around the 2hr 30min mark. The film is too historical and too much of a landmark to be cut or butchered in any way.
    Besides, wasn't the recent IMAX release of Episode 2 letterboxed to 2.39:1?
    I too would really like to hear Mr. Harris' views on this IMAX version.
    Jason

13. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

14. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

WOW!!! That is a travesty!!! You can't crop and edit a masterpiece like LOA!!! They had better matte that IMAX screen (which probably won't happen) and add an intermission. I think we better do something about this. [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Bill McCamy

Bill McCamy Second Unit

Gasim de Paris
    Life is short. Why expend such emotional energy over the possible presentation of LoA? No details are yet available. Is this rumor or fact?

And if it is fact, where does a poorly presented movie fit into the hierarchy of wrongs to be righted. Famine, war, and injustice at home and abroad would be better addressed than the aspect ratio of an overpriced movie on an overblown screen.

16. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Apparently, LOA is not the end of this madness. According to theonering.net, the next Harry Potter movie, and LOTR: ROTK will be released in IMAX day-and-date with the normal version!! The good thing is that HP and ROTK will have an intermission. But of course, they will be cropped.

17. Peter Kline

A little less sand and fewer camels.... what's the problem?

18. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

19. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

20. Peter Kline

IMAX will no doubtly use their proprietary digital system to reduce grain (here we go again) as they did with Apollo 11. Even standard 70mm films don't have the sharpness that REAL IMAX productions have, particularly "old" ones. There is a possible way do re-matte the films. Go here:
    http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/flikfx/default.htm