What's new

UHD Review Lawrence of Arabia 60th Anniversary Steelbook UHD Review (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
This weekend I watched the new 4K blu ray. I only saw this film once on the DVD set that Dennis showed above. I only saw it once and at the time I wasn’t into it.

All the discussion of this film over the years had me waiting in anticipation to finally see it on this new release on a new 4K display. It really was like the first time as I had really no recollection of what Lawrence’s assignment was and what he was ordered to do. Not to mention who the characters are. I watched Part 1 one night and part 2 the next night. It was interesting to see it this way as the first half, Lawrence was so self assured and confident, the second half he realized he was an ordinary man and perhaps broken. Certainly he went mad.

This was quite an adventure. The image quality and sound was great! The gun shots surprised me as they were so full sounding. The two sequences, attack on Aqaba and then later the attack on the train were quite a visual feast!

I can see why RAH suggested a first time viewing would be best on a very large screen. It was still quite a visual feast on my OLED.

If I ever rewatch Prometheus. Maybe I can see why David was obsessed with Lawrence of Arabia. I think I might know.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
By the way, it’s been so long since I saw this film, I forgot about the iconic score. I like to collect movie scores and collect the actual film score recordings, not re-recorded versions. I was looking for a complete or near complete score CD. Can anyone suggests a version?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
By the way, it’s been so long since I saw this film, I forgot about the iconic score. I like to collect movie scores and collect the actual film score recordings, not re-recorded versions. I was looking for a complete or near complete score CD. Can anyone suggests a version?
AFAIK, the original soundtrack is it. Music stems seem to have been destroyed along with all others c. 1970.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I watched Part 1 one night and part 2 the next night. It was interesting to see it this way as the first half, Lawrence was so self assured and confident, the second half he realized he was an ordinary man and perhaps broken. Certainly he went mad.
There is an interesting Youtube channel called Empire of the Mind. It is mainly concerned with philosophy and philosophers. He also does movie reviews from a philosophical viewpoint. The one on Lawrence is quite good: Lawrence of Arabia ~ The Tragedy of the Conquerer

All his reviews are interesting. The one on Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World is also good.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I was watching the SteelBook edition the other night. I had planned to just do a chapter-skip check for freeze-up glitches, but to no great surprise, I got sucked into the story (again) almost immediately.

Couldn't help but notice that they never bothered to change the instance of a bad subtitle. Not that I expected them to, as it would be more trouble than it's worth. In the scene in Cairo with Lawrence and Hartley, just before Potter comes in, Lawrence tells Hartley that he (Hartley) is an ignoble fellow. The subtitles say "big noble fellow": exactly the opposite. It occurs to me that I never checked the 2012 blu-ray release to see if it was wrong there.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I completely forgot, the sound track CD was included in this set. It says it’s the original soundtrack score. This was why I never tried to track one down before. This is a very nice set!

3329C70E-D1A4-458C-8E3C-9688FCF9535F.jpeg

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I was watching the SteelBook edition the other night. I had planned to just do a chapter-skip check for freeze-up glitches, but to no great surprise, I got sucked into the story (again) almost immediately.

Couldn't help but notice that they never bothered to change the instance of a bad subtitle. Not that I expected them to, as it would be more trouble than it's worth. In the scene in Cairo with Lawrence and Hartley, just before Potter comes in, Lawrence tells Hartley that he (Hartley) is an ignoble fellow. The subtitles say "big noble fellow": exactly the opposite. It occurs to me that I never checked the 2012 blu-ray release to see if it was wrong there.
Cannot a fellow not be large and noble, as well as dishonorable?

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Maybe Imax will show it. But I hate when there are no borders. But then I must be the only one.

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
The picture did seem a bit too dark in places, but the sound was a revelation, with the derailed train being particularly effective.

I'm going to open that 'Balcony scene' can of worms again. With today's technology, isn't there someone who could have another go at 'doing' Jack Hawkins and putting it back in? Lean and the team tried in 1988, so if it could be perfected, surely he would have wanted this scene completed?

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The picture did seem a bit too dark in places, but the sound was a revelation, with the derailed train being particularly effective.

I'm going to open that 'Balcony scene' can of worms again. With today's technology, isn't there someone who could have another go at 'doing' Jack Hawkins and putting it back in? Lean and the team tried in 1988, so if it could be perfected, surely he would have wanted this scene completed?
Yes. And it could have been properly done in 1988. David wanted it in.

PatrickDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Patrick
"Lawrence" arrived today. One very minor dent on the front left-hand corner/rim that I couldn't see with the wrapping covering it. One scratch on the back, but it isn't very noticeable. Not too bad for a steelbook via the mail.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
A warning…

I’ve been keeping an eye on these, and the steelbook has sold out at some vendors, with no news of a re-print.

For those who desire the SB, best to find one and grab it.

I fear this may be another situation where certain parties are buying up the product in numbers to attempt a profit on eBay.

Seems to have gone from sneakers to Lawrence steelbooks.

PaulRossen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Rossen
A warning…

I’ve been keeping an eye on these, and the steelbook has sold out at some vendors, with no news of a re-print.

For those who desire the SB, best to find one and grab it.

I fear this may be another situation where certain parties are buying up the product in numbers to attempt a profit on eBay.

Seems to have gone from sneakers to Lawrence steelbooks.
As you know December 2022 marks LOA 60th Anniversary. I doubt that Sony would let the upcoming Holiday Season pass without LOA available for purchase.

Real Name
Joe Birrittella
I completely forgot, the sound track CD was included in this set. It says it’s the original soundtrack score. This was why I never tried to track one down before. This is a very nice set!

View attachment 141760
I also have that deluxe Blu-ray & it's fantastic! Same restoration, but looks better than the theater re-release in 2015.

They got me with Beta, then VHS, Laser Disc, DVD, Blu-ray and Blu-ray 3D. I am skipping the 4K format and will invest in the next new technology instead.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
yes i’ve contacted sony. they have ignored me i guess and of course none of the retailers care.

i’m on my 12th or 16th copies and i saw som1 on ebay going thru 30+ copies. the usa copies all appears to a very bad scratch at the rear right bottom corner :(
C0818A34-D58A-4BF6-83C5-DAAD1D3C84A0.jpeg

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
As you know December 2022 marks LOA 60th Anniversary. I doubt that Sony would let the upcoming Holiday Season pass without LOA available for purchase.
Never underestimate the indifference and apathy of these big corporations who control the coveted releases. You’d think after selling out the steelbook in fairly short order, Sony would’ve at least come back with a more generic standard version, with or without a slipcover.
Luckily I pounced early on at my local Best Buy and also got one for a good friend who’s a huge fan. Finally got around to watching it tonight, and it was, as expected, sublime. It’s part of my film project to show my visiting non movie going uncle the best of the best, a parallel project I have for the four nephews as well. I do hope in fairness Sony follows up on a rerelease. A cursory look shows unreasonably elevated prices for the steelbook. The film deserves to be in every home video library in the most technologically advanced version possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks