What's new

Lawrence of Arabia 40th anniversary DVD? (1 Viewer)

Guy_K

Second Unit
I own the current DVD of LoA and it's great, but I remember a while back when it was first released I heard about a 40th anniversary edition as a possibility. Was I hallucinating or is this correct? I don't know what they could add on to it to make it better because the DVD itself is already good. :angry:

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
It was definitely hoped for by wishful thinking fans moreso than rumored by the studio. There have been rumblings suggesting a possible 40th anniverasry theatrical re-release, which I hope happens, especially if they can book a 70mm presentation at Detroit's Fox Theater like they did several years ago.

Regards,

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
If there's a theatrical re-release don't expect it to look like the DVD (hopefully). According to Robert Harris, who along with partner Richard Katz, did the restoration in the 80s, the DVD has "prettied up" the colors somewhat.

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
I dont really care for another DVD release, cause the current one is perfect. But a theatrical rerelease would be heaven. Ive always wanted to see this in the theater.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I take it back! Forget "rumblings", Robert Harris said in an earlier post on this forum that:
Lawrence will re-appear theatrically in 2002 in 70mm with new prints.
Besides the "prettied up" desert, which even RAH admits he would not expect most people who are not LoA fanatics to notice, the current DVD has a couple of bungled edits on the audio remix which were not on previous laserdiscs and tapes of the restoration.

Regads,

Jon_W

Stunt Coordinator
I just watched Lawrence of Arabia last night. It is probably in my type three favourite films. I do remember some rumours about another release just after last year's release. From what I remember the rumours swirled around a comment by a studio rep from Columbia regreting the fact they couldn't include a new video introduction or interview with Peter O'toole. That along with the colour and sound problems probably got peoples hopes up. After the initial buzz about the DVD release I became a little disappointed with the release, especially given Mr. Harris' comments and the comments of people more experinced with the proper look and sound of Lawrence.
I would be happy to buy a new release if it was done right and not just for the sake of doing it. I think Mr. Harris would have to be involved. He could correct the desert colour problem and the music cue problem, plus it would be nice to have him acknowledged in the supplements. Columbia really went out of their way to edit out any mention of Mr. Harris in the documentary.:rolleyes: Mr. O'toole's insights were also missed in the supplements. I would also like to see a music only track.

Users who are viewing this thread