What's new

Lawrence of Arabia (1 Disc) -VS- (2 Disc) Set? (1 Viewer)

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I have to agree that LoA has to be seen in 70mm (2001: A Space Odyssey is another). When I first saw it on DVD, I thought it was rather dull and overrated. But watching it on the big screen in 70mm was a whole different experience. You actually FEEL like you're with Lawrence in the vastness of the desert.

Still I'd buy a Superbit edition (if Robert Harris supervises it).

SvenS

Second Unit
Both discs in the 2-disc set are "movie discs": the movie is split up over the 2 discs. The transfer on the 1-disc version, therefore, can't be the same.
I think your confusing transfer with compression! They most certainly can be the same transfer but it is likely the compression is ratched up to fit the whole film on 1 disc!

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know what the average bit-rate was on the 2-disc of Lawrence?

I'd imagine that it was pretty high anyway. Would Superbit really make a difference? Disc 2 has about 195 minutes of video, if I remember correctly (!) so I would imagine that Superbit would be of some benefit. It's really the audio/colour problems that are in need of some extra work at Columbia HQ... :D

Gordo

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I think your confusing transfer with compression! They most certainly can be the same transfer but it is likely the compression is ratched up to fit the whole film on 1 disc!
You're right; I misspoke. I meant to say that the transfer quality (which was the term that Lars has used in the post to which I was replying) can't be the same. Thanks for clearing it up.

DJ

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
I've never had the pleasure of seeing Lawrence on the big screen. I would, however, be willing to go a hundred miles if that opportunity comes up.

But I have seen it on my own small screen and it's still a pretty mighty experience. One of the very, very best IMO.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
A good film can transcend the screen. First time I ever saw Apocalypse Now was on a 14" b&w tv in the middle of the night... and it was powerful.

Course I might have been high at the time, it was my college years. But still...

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
I have never seen LoA on the big screen...just on my 32' Toshiba...thats all...and ya know what...I think its a genius piece of film...and after I saw it for the first time about 10 years ago it instantly became one of my favorites..and I didnt have to see it on the big screen...

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I paid $28 on street date for the 2-disc set.

The bitrate is 9.8, I think. However, the transfer is filled with pixelation. Odd, though. You'd think it would have less pixelation on a DVD-9 + DVD-4.5 (1/2 of a DVD-9)

Britton

Screenwriter
If you don't yet have this movie, I suggest holding off until the Superbit comes out in September since it's pretty much a given now that Robert Harris will be supervising the transfer for the DVD. The versions out now have some color timing issues, botched music cues and some pretty annoying edge enhancement.

I know this has been kicked around vaguely, but does anyone know who to contact--perhaps RAH--about trying to convince Columbia to make this a Superbit deluxe with as many (or better yet, more) extras as the first release? Don't get me wrong...nothing would make me happier than getting the movie right (I held off on buying with the assumption we'd eventually get just that, though the recent anniversary passed hopelessly). I'd just rather not "have to" buy it again in an inevitable reissue. Crazy me.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
A Superbit version, color corrected, is coming out. RAH is involved in the new mastering I believe. Don't look for more extras as Superbit requires extra room on the disc for the main attraction, the film!.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Crap. So lemme get this straight.

1)There are colour problems and audio problems with the LE edition (orange/yellow box)?
2)Those will be corrected in the superbit?
3) The superbit format itself doesn't offer incredible inprovement in picture? But the new version is a better transfer?
4)in order to get the extra's, you have to obtain the very costly LE?

I guess I might grab the superbit and rent the more costly one for the extra's. What a bunch of hoey.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Really, why can't Columbia do a 3-disc Superbit Deluxe? It's not as if 3-disc sets are unprecedented, after all. I suppose they're just trying to wring as many releases out of this picture as possible. :frowning:

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
First and foremost, let me say that I am delighted with this new edition! :) :emoji_thumbsup:

But... why have Columia failed to promote this one with more gusto?

They really ought to be promoting it in their press-releases as "All-new hi-def digital transfer!". The more people who buy this, the better.

And as has been noted: A 3-disc SB Deluxe would be bettter... but that come later, right?! Or am I getting ahead of schedule?! :laugh:

I'm only joking! ;)

Here's another: This bloke had a sex-change...

Gordy

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I'm assuming that this info from DeepDiscount is inaccurate regarding the 2-disc LOA version. ......

> "Double Side - Dual Layer" <

The 2-discer is, in fact, NOT dual-sided, right?

What did everyone else here pay for their 2-disc Lawrence DVD?

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
I hope Sony fix the horrible smear on the credits and the bad music edit when Lawrence is parading on the roof of the train wreck in part two, for it's next release.
I also wish Sony would make available any deleted material not used in the restored version. I have seen all this material and wish it could be included.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks