What's new

Lawn to be sodded - what should I do? (1 Viewer)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I bought a home brand new in the winter, and the builder is going to sod soon. My land is Virginia clay, real low quality crap that nothing grows in. Should I buy and lay topsoil or something before they sod?

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
When I lived in Austin, all we had was limestone. I put down a couple truckloads of topsoil prior to the sod. Probably worked out to a couple inches deep. Then after the sod goes in, water, water, water for a few weeks till it takes root and starts growing.

KyleS

Screenwriter
Yes you should put down some top soil (about 2-3 inches for the roots to grow in). You will want to spread it smooth, tamp it down, then roll it. Then after rolling it I usually spread a really light sprinkle of dirt 1/8"-1/4" thick over the top before laying the sod. It should also be watered before you put the sod down. It is a little early to lay Sod since if its too cold it wont take hold. How soon is the builder planning to lay it when you say soon? Also you should put a littlefertilizerr down before the sod to help it grown. You can get the topsoil with fertilizer if you want too. Make sure you consult someone in your area to find out how strong (or lack of) the fert should be.

KyleS

KrisM

Second Unit
Make sure you use the proper fertilizer. There are certain mixes that are beneficial to young roots. And no fertilizer with weed killers. I know they are bad when seeding, and I would imagine they could be hard on young roots as well. Congrats on the home. Is it your first?

Regards
KrisM

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Lucky builder. [Sorry, the above quotation is unintentionally amusing in Brit slang; for the uninitiated, you've just announced that the builder is either about to have gay sex or commit an act of bestiality].

Sorry, I'll try to be sensible.

Grass will grow just about anywhere, but like any plant, the better the nutrients, the better the growth. Thus, top soil is a v. good idea, especially if amongst your lawn you are going to put flower beds or similar. Is top soil expensive in the USA (here it costs a fortune)?

Remember that you can get different types of turf - showpiece stuff that looks gorgeous but shouldn't be walked on; hard-wearing stuff if you've got kids; etc.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I can't get different types of turf, I'm stuck with what the builder is putting in. :frowning:

Lee L

Supporting Actor
You need to till the soil up or the sod will never take. I have good ole NC clay and it is similar. My sod looks like crap after 3 years. Use a bunch of lime and then till it with a large rental tiller. Then you can spread some topsoil or manure in and till it again. You can call your state Agriculture extension agency and they can tell you what to do specifically for your area but the lime should be on track for acidic clay.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Good news I just talked to my foreman about it, and my builder does a very good job with this. He explained everything that they're going to do and it's about what I've read on the sites I've googled. Also, this neighborhood is in phase 5 and the phase 1 houses that are over a year old were built by the same foreman, same builder, with the same sod from the same sod farms, and their lawns look fantastic.

I was very careful in the builder I chose, and it's been borne out in all kinds of ways, add another check moark here. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks