What's new

Lawn Sprinklers (1 Viewer)

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
OK. Every year I seem to have to buy new water sprinkers I am getting sick of spending $30-$60 on then every year!

Is there a "deluxe/ultimate" water sprinkler out there? Something all/mostly metal that wont break/gears strip?

Looking for Oscillating mostly. The cheap nelsons at Target/Wal-mart are not coming on my property again.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
witout you telling us why it is a bit of a toughie. I would hazard a gues what you really need is a filter...

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
No, what I need is an all metal one. These cheap plastic ones keep breaking apart. Either the gears strip out or the plastic splits at the seams.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I can't find any all-metal oscillating sprinklers, so I've quit using oscillating sprinklers and have switched to all-metal impulse sprinklers, exclusively. I've had to rethink how I plan my placement. Impulse sprinklers aren't as good for small areas as oscillating sprinklers, but they do a decent enough job that their durability is worth it.

James Edward

Supporting Actor
Home Depot sells a Melnor all-metal oscillating one for about 30 dollars. I also used to replace them every year, but I've had this baby for 3 years so far. And I hate the impulse sprinkler noise.

James Edward

Supporting Actor
Home Depot sells a Melnor all-metal oscillating one for about 30 dollars. I also used to replace them every year, but I've had this baby for 3 years so far. And I hate the impulse sprinkler noise.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
I will have to check out the Melnor one. Looks like the 360M is the metal one.

I would not mind an impluse one either, but all the impluse ones I tried in the past (ones with the spike that goes in the ground) after running for a bit, the ground becomes so wet that it tips over, then by the next year the spike actually breaks off, these were the cheap zinc ones, maybe a stainless steal model exists out there....

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I've had one of these heavy steel sprinklers for several years now and it works great...no need to move it by hand..it moves on it's own...it just follows the sprinkler hose.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
wow, $100 for a sprinkler...Seems like a good design though. I might go with the Melnor 360M though, it comes with a lifetime warranty so if it breaks, easy to get a new one.

thanks for the info, keep posting if you come across others

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've got the same problem: the gears / motor just wear out after a season and they can't drive themselves any more. Rather annoying.

But a $100 sprinkler is overkill for me -- I'd rather buy a new $10 sprinkler every year for 10 years.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I must be doing something wrong because I never have to replace my ~$10 cheapies.

Oh yeah, I never water my lawn......

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I used to own one of the traveling sprinklers pictured in Alf's response #9 above. It worked great in the back yard where there is no sidewalk or driveway. However, it was useless in our front yard due to all the concrete.

We broke down and installed a sprinkler system six years ago. There are maintenance costs, but it sure is a lot easier watering the lawn now.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
I would love a in ground sprinkler system, but we plan to move in a few years time and budget does not allow for one this year, though I'm sure we would recoup the cost in a sale. Maybe next year or will hold out until the new house.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks