What's new

Lawmaker wants ACTUAL movie start time published - proposes legislation. (1 Viewer)

chris winters

Second Unit
The thing is, the theaters sell out wether they run the ads or not. So they make more money running the ads. I supose your' correct in that they havent crossed that threshold where people are pissed enough to stop going, but do your really want to push the miserable theater going exerience that far? until we hit rock bottom? I guess thats the question. Given an alternative, people would take it, im sure, but there is no way an alternative could compete. Maybe a theater that charges more per ticket, enough to offset the profit made by the ads, would generate enough buisiness to stay afloat. Maybe that is the answer, but somehow I predict we will live with the ads getting worse and worse, as well as higher ticket prices, higher concession prices, and noisy cell phones etc...until the industry eventually crashes. I wonder why it took the theater owners so long to figure out the, " ads before movies thing." They could have run commercials decades ago, and made money, but somehow It is tolerated now when it wouldnt have been in the past.

chris winters

Second Unit
"Sony paid the price for its poor business decisions. I much prefer that business fail for bad decisions and succeed for good ones, rather than having the outcome imposed by state dictate."

I would prefer that as well, but it is simply not always the case. How about a system where buisiness succeeds based on industry manipulation and inferior/cheaper product creation insead of state imposed guidlines? Would you prefer that?

I am not for the destruction of the free market economy. Or for legislation dictating we had all gone the Beta route in the early eighties. Maybe that was a bad example on my part. All I'm saying is corporations, and a free market economy, require laws to set guidlines for how they conduct business. Otherwise the system will simply spiral out of control, crossing ethical and quality thresholds I dont think are benificial for anyone.

chris winters

Second Unit
"I'm not saying the free market will always guarantee the best product. I just don't think we need the government invloved in telling us when our movies start. "

Do you want the governmet involved in truth in advertising? Why dont we let the makers of Advil claim it cures cancer? or that a Whopper lowers cholesteral? They could probably sell a lot of product that way, there is a sucker born every minute so to speak.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

I doubt they'd want the headaches of theater ownership.

Within the current system, they still get the bulk of the admission money without the bother of buying and maintaining equipment, leasing/constructing/renovating buildings, maintaining the various permits required, staffing issues, etc.

Not to mention most of the money is in the home video market today, so that makes theater ownership even less attractive.

Steve Kuester

Second Unit

When it comes to public health and safety (You mentioned airline technology, seatbelts, airbags, cancer cures, cholesteral) Yes, I agree.

When it comes to the topic of this thread (The government involved in movie start times) I disagree completely.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
And comemricals. Ever since I can remember, commericals have been shown before the feature (and extras). True enough the commericals were often slide shows for local shops and services, and perhaps did not take up so much time, but even in the small town theaters I attended back in the late 40s and 50s, there were shown.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
These commercials are one reason why I don't go to the theater very much. It was great during THE PASSION when nothing was played before hand (I also prefer concerts without the opening act). With THE AVIATOR, the "start time" was 4pm but the film didn't actually start until 4:25pm. That is way too much time for me. The trailers I don't mind but I don't want to see ads for Taco Bell, the Army, Wal-Mart or anything else. I wouldn't mind a short film, a newsreel or something like that. That there is entertainment, not something telling me what to buy or whatever is cool at the moment.

I'm not sure the government should step in but I do think theaters need to set up a time limit on trailers, ads or whatever else. If the ticket says 4pm then start the movie by at least 4:15pm. Let people know how long these previews are going to be.

And I do believe the same when it comes to sports on television. Do all that extra crap before the airtime. I hate turning a game on at 8pm but the game doesn't start until 8:40 or whenever.

Plus, why not just show all the ads you want before the movie time? Most people come early and read all that (laughable) movie trivia so why not just show the ads then?

ZackR

Supporting Actor
First of all, to Chris Winters, my "big boy" comment was in no way meant as a slam or personal insult to you. If I came across that way, then I sincerely apologize. That was not my intent at all. It was in no way directed at you. It was just a generalization and I hope I did not come across the wrong way :)

As to where does it stop? I think the government should legislate in public health/safety issues where the public has no way of doing so for themselves. I think people have a right to expect their medicine will not cause them to immediately drop dead. Only the government can try to guarantee that. I believe that is right...although all medicine has inherent risks and nothing can be totally safe. As far as movies/entertainment go, I just don't think that is the government's job. I do not feel I have any right to have a movie start on time. That is just the way I feel. If it is a big enough problem, I will demand a refund and not return. If it is the only theater in town, then I guess I will not be attending any movies if it bugs me so much. I don't feel I have any inherent right to have a pleasant movie theater experience. If I have a problem, I will deal with the theater, and if I am the only one or one of a few to complain, then I know that it will never get changed. Why? Because a majority of the people are obviously not that bothered by it. Oh well. That's the way it goes. Now if Ford or some other company sells a car that explodes in 5 mile per hour collision, then that is a public safety issue and the government should be involved. And this is a bit off topic, but just to answer your question about seatbelts/airbags... Airbag laws are fine, I guess. And mandating that parents with young children use safety seats, I have no problem with that because the children are not old enough to make an informed choice. But if I, as an adult, choose not to wear a seatbelt, then yes, I think that is my decision. Do I wear myself? Sure I do. Everytime I get in the car. But I do it by choice. I don't think the police should cite people if they make the choice not to. I know most people will disagree with that, but that is my opinion. On the flipside, if someone chooses not to wear a seatbelt and ends up eating gravel, I don't think the public should have to pay for their medical bills to cover their stupidity. Basically, I am for letting individuals and the free market be the determining factors in pretty much all cases except those where the public safety is at risk by things outside of their control. I can control if I wear a seatbelt or not. If theaters locked their doors at the end of a movie, that would be some sort of false inprisonment and would be illegal. No one forces me to go to a movie in the first place. I go knowing full well there will be 20 minutes of commercials and previews. Again, it is a situation of market forces to me. If this issue really bothered enough people and people stayed home instead of going to the movies, I guarantee the theaters would change. The fact is, there are not enough people willing to forgo the theaters to force the change. I anticipate the few movies I now view at the theaters too much to be let the commercials deter me. And I just do not believe the government should step in. I mean, do we want the government fixing ticket prices so that the prices won't go up any more? I doubt it. I don't like paying $5 for popcorn, but if I want it, I will buy it. No need for price controls or anything. I choose to buy it. If the price is too high, then I won't pay and I guess I will have to live without popcorn. Again, these are just my opinions. I am basically for the government being involved in as little as possible. That goes for everything. The less government, the better off we all are in most case..in my opinion of course. :)

My apologies if this has gone off topic a bit...I am thoroughly enjoying the discussion though.

chris winters

Second Unit
no apology needed. But I appreciate your polite responce. I see your point, and completely understand where your coming from.

Maybe its all karma. I have to sit through ads when I see a film at the theater, but now that i have Tivo I can zip through all the commercials when at home. Kind of ironic I supose...

Pete-D

Screenwriter
I think there should be a limit on how many commercials can run before a movie.

I'm not sure if there is now, but it seems like there's more and more commercials before even the trailers start.

I don't always mind, since sometimes you're running late to the theater, so you can cut it a bit closer and not even miss a single preview these days.

Didn't George Lucas ban commercials prior to Star Wars Episode I? I remember we had trailers, like for Austin Powers 2, but there were absolutely no commercials beforehand.

Brad Eisenhauer

Stunt Coordinator
Seriously, is there really anyone who doesn't know that the movie is going to start at least 10 minutes, usually more like 20, after the scheduled show time? Even those that haven't been to a movie in 20 years and don't know, it takes them one trip to figure it out. Personally, I almost never show up to the theater more than 5 minutes before the scheduled showtime anymore anyway.

chris winters

Second Unit
"Seriously, is there really anyone who doesn't know that the movie is going to start at least 10 minutes, usually more like 20, after the scheduled show time? Even those that haven't been to a movie in 20 years and don't know, it takes them one trip to figure it out. "

Its more the principal of the situation.

"I almost never show up to the theater more than 5 minutes before the scheduled showtime anymore anyway."

so how do you make sure you get a good seat?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
When was the last time that anyone went to a concert (popular music) that started on time? In my experience, except for classical music and opera, all concerts start after (well after--and often as much as an hour late) the advertised time.

Is anyone suggesting that we need legislation in this area also?

One can always ask when the feature begins.

As far as getting a good seat, what difference would it make if commericals were shown or not?. If a feature begins at 8:15, for example, and you want to be assured of getting a choice seat, you will have to show up before hand or not have as good a seating choice. Commericals have absolutly nothing to do with arriving before the movie begins in order to get a good seat.

chris winters

Second Unit
"When was the last time that anyone went to a concert (popular music) that started on time? In my experience, except for classical music and opera, all concerts start after (well after--and often as much as an hour late) the advertised time."

Live events are subject to random logistics that can delay performances. It is partially the reason they have opening acts. Movie theaters do not have this excuse. There is no reason that a show couldnt start when advertised logistically when dealing with movie theaters.

"As far as getting a good seat, what difference would it make if commericals were shown or not?. If a feature begins at 8:15, for example, and you want to be assured of getting a choice seat, you will have to show up before hand or not have as good a seating choice. Commericals have absolutly nothing to do with arriving before the movie begins in order to get a good seat. "

The idea espressed was that you could simply arrive later knowing that the feature starts 20 minutes later then advertised. I was simply stating that you can not arrive early to get a decent seat without subjecting yourself to the adverts. You choice is arrive later then start time and get a lousy seat, or arrive at a decent time and be forced to endure nearly half an hour of commercials before your film.

chris winters

Second Unit
look, imagine this in any other arena of life. You go to eat dinner at Mcdonalds. You order your meal, and after you pay, but before they hand your meal to you, you are shown 20 minutes worth of commercials. Its absurd. Sorry sir, you must enjoy our "pre-meal 20" before your dig in. Enjoy!

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
There are still theatres that don't show commercials or excessive trailers (one or two should be the maximum, IMO).

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H

Are you kidding? Just using MickeyD's as an example - what about all the ads splattered everywhere in your face - Coca Cola, PowerAde, whichever movie or cartoon character they're pushing, etc. Don't fool yourself...everyone uses advertising.

chris winters

Second Unit
but they dont delay your enjoyment of the product in doing it. Movie theaters can have ads plastered all over the walls, run trailers and commercials in the lobby, have slides shown on the screen before show time etc...but dont delay the film simply to force them on a captive audience.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
Chris,

Your McDonalds example is a good one. However, if McDonalds did that, market forces would run them out of business in no time. People go to the movies knowing full well about the commercials. It is just that people don't care enough about it or it does not bother people enough to really get up in arms about it. If people were angry enough about it, they would not go to the movies. I don't like it, but it is not a big enough issue with me to quit going over it. As a result of that, and the fact that probably most people are the same, nothing gets done. But I do not think the government should step in. If McDonalds did what you said, I would not think that would be the government's business either. However, it would be a moot point in that case because people would put Mickey D's out of business REAL quick. That is how I think this should be handle. Let market forces deal with it. If enough people cared enough about the commercials and they were a big enough deal, then I think people would stay home. That would force the theaters to do something about it. In fact, market forces already keep me out of the theater in many situations where previously I would have gone to the movies. For example, tickets are $7 here in town. Add to that at least $10 for my wife and I to get popcorn/drinks, which I do like to get. So, we are up to $24. So, $$$-wise, it is cheaper for me to just buy the DVD when it comes out and watch it in the comfort of my own home at my convenience. But, if there is a movie I really want to see in the theater, then I will definitely go out and see it, knowing full well that my 8:00 movie will actually start arounf 8:20. I know that going into it. Anyways, it is all personal opinion anyway. :) But as always with me, I will ALWAYS inherently lead to the "less government" side of an argument unless there is some sort of REALLY good reason or public safety reason that absolutely necessitates it. Just the way I am wired, I guess. :)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I think it would be more like if you went to McDonalds, and they made you watch a video showing all of their products before you could order anything.

Sure, you could go somewhere else, but that doesn't work for the movies - especially when all of them are doing it. The alternative is not to go, but then you may never see it, or wait until it is on disk or on TV.

With McDonalds the choice is there to get almost the exact same item at a competitor's place, but theaters nearly have a monopoly on it - especially if you only have one theater in town.

What I think would be nice would be if you could be the first person to get to the doors, and ask everybody behind you to wait in the lobby until the ads are all over.

Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks