What's new

Law&Order (1 Viewer)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Is there anyone besides me who has become tired of the long lulls between releases for the original series and the others? What is the hold up? here Is the problem between Wolf and Universal or is Universal just dragging its feet on this

Katherine_K

Second Unit
Ahh have you looked at the recent releases? Criminal intent season 2 in Dec, SVU season 3 in Jan, and the mothership's season 5 in April... that's ... not a long break.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah I noticed but almost 2 years inbetween releases of the mothership really gets on my nerves. How long will it be before they roll S6 out ?? Another nearly 2 years?? Universal needs to pick it up a bit in my opinion

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with the OP that consistency has not been Universal's strength when it comes to the handling of the L&O franchise. The problem in my opinion is that they treat all 3 series as one (i.e.- if we release an SVU season, we need to wait 3 months before we release a mothership season.)

The mothership is on Season 17 and so far we only Seasons 1 -5 and 14 (Another genius marketing scheme). There is no reason why the original isn't scheduled for 3 to 4 releases a year. At this rate, SD DVD will be obsolete before the series is released.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Actually there is. Slow sales. Gord has posted elsewhere that some TV dramas on DVD seem to be a tough sell, and if memory serves, L&O was offered up as an example. NYPD Blue is another example of this. (Gord, if I've misrepresented your comments, my apologies.)

L&O is incredibly popular with the female demographic but it's relatively weak performance at retail could be due to an overbundance of reruns on the L&O Channel (aka TNT) as well the fact females seem to buy less DVDs than males (or so I've been told).

If L&O was selling as well as Rockford, Columbo, or even Murder She Wrote (which seem to skew more towards males) it would be getting the same accelerated treatment.

Steve

Will_C

Second Unit
Real Name
Will

Well it was marketing I'm sure, but since it was Jerry Orbach's last season, I think it was a great tribute to him to skip over other seasons to get that one out. Just a damn shame that he passed over shortly after he retired from L&O and started into L&O: Trial By Jury. But I was glad to get it when they released it. I do agree, however, that the over all release schedule has been a long, tortuous wait. I'm glad that Universal has gone back to single sided dvds. Those dual sided disasters really tried my patience.

Maybe the release schedule has something to do with the syndication runs on TNT and USA. They may have had to slow it down or something. Who knows? Also, I'm guessing the fact that Universal Studios was for sale for some time before NBC finally bought them had something to do with their release schedule. I'm just hoping they're getting back on track and we'll have L&O and SVU being released in a more timely manner.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Maybe people are just tired of L&O, I know I am. Plus it's been played to death in Reruns. I gave up on the SHow about 7 years ago, it's a classic example of a series that is just running the course. I watched maybe two seasons of SVU and None of Criminal Intent, they just need to retire this franchise.

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
Dave, While you are entitled to your opinion, it is not supported by fact. While the mothership has lost its audience share, SVU continues to win its timeslot and is one of NBC's prime commodities. It was just re-upped for another 3 years giving big raises to Hargitay and Meloni.

For me it will be a sad day when there are no more new L&Os being produced.

Will_C

Second Unit
Real Name
Will
With the cross overs they do with Las Vegas and Crossing Jordan, I wonder if there'll ever be any L&O series (hopefully SVU) crossover with Jordan. Glad to hear SVU has gotten renewed. Chris Meloni and Marishka Hargitay are two of my favorites, and I also like Diane Neal.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm not so sure the "tired of L&O" argument is valid. I mean the same could be said for Star Trek. The entire franchis is on DVD but its also on Television in one form or another TOS on TVland, TNG on G4 I think and Enterprise is on Sci Fi and also on many local TV affiliates including one where I live

For whatever reason Wolf or Universal or both are being slow about releasing it and I'm not sure I understand why

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk
This always annoyed me too. Paramount spit out 4 seasons of MacGyver in one year and 3 the next, but Universal is scewing around on a show with 15 years worth of seasons. Hell, my favorite years will be the last to be released (the ones with Angie Harmon). I'd like to see it happen while I'm still young.

Will_C

Second Unit
Real Name
Will
I loved Angie Harmon. My favorite L&O eps with her were the 2 parter that had the kid who was testifying against the Russian mob, and then his mother was murdered and he was nearly killed by Columbian assassins. Remember McCoy just completely lost it and held all the Russians he knew were responsible without trial, defied judges and took it all the way to the State Supreme Court and then the Federal Appeals Circuit? He almost went to the US Supreme Court. Those were absolutely awesome episodes, L&O at its best! I think that was also the end of Benjamin Bratt's run on L&O.

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
Yeah, I find this kind of annoying as well. I just buy them as they come out -- what else can I do? The good thing is that SVU and Criminal Intent didn't happen until after I left the States, so everything I'm getting of those shows on DVD is new to me. The good thing is it's episodic TV, so even if nothing else comes out I can always pop in an episode and enjoy.

Juan Books

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Juan
What really bothers me about this show is they put seasons two, three and four on defective double-sided DVDs that are bound to fail sooner rather than later. One of my S3 disks already won't play anymore, so what is the point in further collecting the series when we'll never have a reliable pressing of seasons 2, 3 and 4?

These studios are so greedy, negligent, and downright corrupt, they have defeated my desire to collect their product.

Katherine_K

Second Unit

They've stopped using flipper discs, Criminal Intent season 2, SVU season 3, and soon season 5 of the mother ship are on standard DVDs. This show does not sell like hotcakes, and it's a minor miracle in my book every time we see a new season. I'd rather they finish the run before I start screaming for new pressings of seven flipper seasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks