What's new

Law & Order Season 6 (The Original Series) Announced (2 Viewers)

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
thats great news am still waiting for season 4 and 5 to come down in price so I can ship them to the UK without getting customs charges they need to be less than £18 or can incur about a £10 custom charge

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk
Oh, that's just wonderful. At this rate maybe we'll see them caught up around 2029. WTF is wrong with this studio? Paramount was releasing 4 seasons a year of some shows, but Universal barely does 1!? And don't even mention SVU and CI. I like those as much as the next guy, but the original series deserves to be fully released this goddamn century.

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
I know and the original has twice as many seasons it doesnt make sense you would think the spin-offs would be slower as less to release. Oh well hope we get them eventually

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard

Hope you don't mind me asking, but does the Region 1 boxset of Season 5 have extras which the Region 2 set dosen't have? I've got the first five seasons of Law and Order on Region 2. The first season set had a couple of featurettes and the fourth season set had 40-odd deleted scenes.

Will be interesting to see if the Region 2 version of the Season 6 boxset will have the Homicide: Life on the Street episode on it or not. I'll likely get the Region 2 set as I'm buying the Homicide: Life on the Street boxsets.

I hope now we will see at the very least Seasons 7 (which contains the only three part story that the show has done to date) & 8 of Law and Order in 2009 and possibly even the ninth season (including the TV movie Exiled as an extra?) before the end of the year.

The Region 2 boxset of the sixth season of Law and Order: SVU has different front cover artwork to the Region 1 set, but is in line with the previous R2 season sets. I do like the new style artwork which they've been using for the Law and Order: Season 6 boxset (Region 1) and the last few Law and Order: SVU (Region 1) boxsets.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Is there anyone here getting the Region 1 set of the sixth season of Law and Order, when it's released in December? I hope someone posts a review or even just some comments - picture quality, episode cuts (music etc.) and presentation.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Is nobody here getting the Season 6 boxset of Law and Order when it comes out on Region 1 on Tuesday (2nd December)?

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
When did they start filming Law & Order in high definition? I can't remember if Sky 1 showed the 15th season in HD. They definitely did with the 16th season and continued showing it in HD along with standard definition with the 17th and 18th seasons.

Play.com have added a listing for the seventh season to their website, where you can express interest for the R2 boxset and be notified when it's available to pre-order.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Question: When did they start filming Law & Order in high definition?

Answer: It always was. L&O has been shot on film, and film is always high-definition. You could make the argument that the pilot wasn't, but Dick Wolf wanted that grainy effect, so it was shot on 16mm instead of the normal 35. The question should be if they edited it in high-def, and they may not have. If they did, nothing but economics keeps it out of Blu-ray land.

Film is always high-def, which is why those 60s and 70s series like Hawaii Five-O, Mannix, Mission: Impossible and The Fugitive look so gorgeous. They were edited on film, not video. If the film is there, and has been taken care of, it will look great after the restoration work is done. Obviously, this doesn't apply to something like "Cannon" where the restoring wasn't done.

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
Rick, Law and Order has never always been filmed in High Definition. According to a post over at HDTVoice has admitted that earlier seasons of the original Law and Order series wasn't filmed in High Def. While later seasons were, high def wasn't an option for studios in the early 90's as the cost of such high def formats was expensive, much in the same way that studios had back in the late 60's when studios were making decisions on whether to film in black and white or in color, which was more expensive.

http://www.hdtvoice.com/voice/showpost.php?p=107027&postcount=6

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by kemcha

Rick, Law and Order has never always been filmed in High Definition.
You're misintrepeting what Rick means. He doesn't mean that Law And Order is shot on HD video (like Sin City or Revenge Of The Sith). He means that it was shot on film so if a Blu-ray release happened of, say, the first season, it would have the increased resolution that you would expect from an HD transfer.

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
Well, that's what I got from his post. True HD filming didn't start with television shows until the late 90's early 2000's. While it's true that most current television shows can be converted to the hi-definition format, earlier television shows are being discovered that they cannot be converted.

Can shows like Law and Order and X-Files be converted to hi-definition despite not being originally filmed in hi def? Sure, they can. But, it's doubtful that that's what they were originally filmed in.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

Well, that's what I got from his post. True HD filming didn't start with television shows until the late 90's early 2000's. While it's true that most current television shows can be converted to the hi-definition format, earlier television shows are being discovered that they cannot be converted.

Can shows like Law and Order and X-Files be converted to hi-definition despite not being originally filmed in hi def? Sure, they can. But, it's doubtful that that's what they were originally filmed in.
What is "true HD filming"?

The only thing that really matters is if a show was shot on film. If a show was shot on film, you could have a high definition release of it. The show doesn't have to be shot on HD video, it just has to have been shot on film. Age has nothing to do with it. A show from the 1950's that was shot on film could have an HD release. Yes, there's shows that were shot on video (primarily in the 1970's and 1980's) but those have no bearing in this discussion since Law And Order was shot on film.

In the case of shows like The X-Files or Buffy The Vampire Slayer or early seasons of Law And Order (which were edited on video), it would be extremely expensive for an HD release happen but it's still possible because they were shot on film.

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
Travis, there's a big difference. TV shows being shot in hi def vs tv show shot on film and then transfered to hi def. Big Difference.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

Travis, there's a big difference. TV shows being shot in hi def vs tv show shot on film and then transfered to hi def. Big Difference.
Then please explain the big difference to me. Also, what shows are shot HD?

I'm not trying to argue with you but you're incorrect. The only reason I'm even bothering to continue this is so others don't read your incorrect info and think that it's right.

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
Hi-Def = High Quality

Oh, and I'm not incorrect. Shows like Law and Order, X-Files and what not were not originally filmed in high-definition. These shows were originally filmed in standard definition. Now, I'm not disputing that these shows cannot be converted to high definition, only that they were not originally filmed in high definition.

Travis, I don't know what shows were filmed in high definition. I just happen to be aware that a lot of shows that were filmed prior to 1995 were only filmed in standard definition. Even though the shows were filmed in standard definition, the studios are still able to convert them to high definition.

I'm not disputing that these shows cannot be converted to high definition, only that they were not originally filmed in hi-def.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

These shows were originally filmed in standard definition.
You can not shoot something on film and have it be standard definition. The very fact that it's being shot on film means that it has a much higher resolution than videotape or standard definition. If anything (a movie, a TV show, a commercial) is shot on film, it will benefit from an HD transfer. I think what you're confusing this with is shows that were shot on film but edited on videotape (like The X-Files or Buffy The Vampire Slayer) but those shows could be given an HD transfer if the studio wanted to spend alot of money to do it.

Whether you listen to me or not, I hope other people won't listen to your incorrect information.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Just add my two cents into this, I'll reiterate the obvious: film, being continuous tone, is ALWAYS high-definition. You can shoot low-light and on narrower stock -- such as Dick Wolf wanting a grainy effect for the pilot and so shooting it in 16 mm -- but motion picture film is designed to be blown up to huge sizes in theaters. Even standard print film you buy at Wal-Mart will never be matched by digital. The difference may be too small to be seen at normal print sizes, but blow it up big enough and the difference show.

Age makes no difference. Why can you have a Blu-ray at full high-def of "Gone With the Wind" or "The Wizard of Oz", both released in 1939, over 70 years ago? Because they were shot on film, and

(all together now, class!)

FILM IS ALWAYS HIGH DEFINITION!.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda19798888
Recent bookmarks