Law of Diminishing Returns

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vijay, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Vijay

Vijay Agent

I have a Optoma EZPRO 615H LCD projecter, I project it onto a 120" pull down DA-LITE screen. ( looks fabulous with good quality DVDs, eg.Shrek, Toy Story, SuperBit, good transfer DVDs, like Fast and Furious.

Some don't look good like Matrix, ( optoma has a problem with producing more green, so when a movie has too much green to start off with then there is a problem)

The other day I went to the High-end store just to check their gear out and sampled the Piano Plus Projector DLP, not a bad little thing and the price is good also.

The sales man then showed me a $20,000 ( twenty grand)DLP that was hooked upto a progressive scan DVD worth 1200.00 and a Pioneer elite worth 2000.00, sampling the Fifth Element Superbit DVD.

Now maybe there is something wrong with me and my brother who was also there, but I could'nt see were all the extra cash went too!!

The screen size was only 80" or Max 100" but the picture was not that brilliant than mine,,,should'nt it be for all that extra cash. Like buying a Mercedes CLK compared to a Honda Accord, you notice the extra cash!!

I'm not saying that mine was better, sure that one may be better on the numbers side(Scientifically But maybe to the naked eye there is not much of a difference. Like and MP3 file compared to a original CD (don't tell me you can actually hear the massive difference in MP3 vs CD)
    Maybe it was a little better, not worth 4x the price of my projecter.

Its not sour grapes cause I admit if something is great and I beleive in the Rule of "What you pay is what you get".
    Like the Merc and Honda.

But this just baffeled my mind...

Does anyone else notice this?
    Let me know what you guys think about this out there....

2. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Vijay,
    But perhaps the demo system wasn't calibrated too well. Shops often are rather sloppy in that respect.
    It's almost impossible to answer your question: it depends on someone's personal judgement of the value of the quality improvement (and of the "worth" of 20 grand, of course [​IMG] ).
    Cees

3. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

Vijay:
    Are you familar with the Smart filters and color calibration software? If not, you should take a look at their products for tweaking the green tint etc....
    I've tried their filters with much success on my Cinema 13HD.
    http://www.enhancedht.com/
    Good Luck
    Ron

4. Vijay

Vijay Agent

Hi Ron, I checked the website but they say you can use it for only the projectors they name eg. Sony, Sharp ect.

What projector do you have? Mine is an Optoma EZ PRO 615H, it got the Green Hue problem I talked about were it emphasized green too much, and when a movie that uses more green eg Matrix, then you see more green than usual.

5. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

I have the Cinema 13HD, which is a rebadged Sanyo PLV-60. They have a specific filter (actually two) and a prefitted filter ring to place on top of the lens. It really "naturalized" the green....now you have to recalibrate, which required me to bring down the red some too...very natural looking colors. It also help in the contras & blacks too (but it won't be a cure all in that area for an LCD).

Ron

6. Jason_Schwefel

Jason_Schwefel Auditioning

Vijay

Here is something to try, from the world of photography

Filters are used ALL of the time to achive correct color balance. What I would do is go to a local pro photo store. Take your projector along too, they may have some filter holders that work, too. buy a magenta filter. a M5 or M10, from what you have described *should* work.

Odds are, at least the shop I use would do this, the will help you fit a holder, if there is one that would work, allow you to set up your projecor, and test the various filter strengths to get you back into color balance. (Bring along your calibration disc and player too.)

It has been a while since I bought a filter, but from what I remember, you will no pay more $40 (if that) on it.

Sorry about the late response, I just registered today, and am looking through the threads for what interests me, and that I may be of help on.

Jason

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I'm going to move this over to the Projectors Fourm. All this talk about filters and front projector DPL systems for $20,000 is not what I would call Basic. [​IMG]

8. Jason_Schwefel

Jason_Schwefel Auditioning

Huh, I thought a $20k device was basic for anything, including projectors. Las week I just picked up a basic Weber grill for $20k, i thought that was a pretty good deal.
    [​IMG]

9. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    The diffrence may be more noticeable when watching HDef material than with DVD. That coupled with professional calibration may make a difference.

10. MWestyn

MWestyn Stunt Coordinator

Maybe I'm the only one but...you can't tell the difference between MP3 and wav (cd)!??!?[​IMG]
    You never noticed that jingling sound in an mp3? Proper compression will reduce it, but it's there. MP3 are tolerable but they're not cd quality.