What's new

LAW AND ORDER: SEASON 3 observation... (1 Viewer)

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
I've had a chance to scan through the discs and the packaging and have a few observations.

Now being a longtime fan of the show i'll never argue the fact that Jerry Orbach's character has been the heart of the show. However I do find it curious that Jerry's face is most marketed on the packaging and the discs and nowhere on either the packing or the disc menus does it have Paul Sorvino's character???

Just curios how they market an ensemble cast?

Also quality-wise I do notice an improvement in picture quality on this set over the first 2 seasons. Picture is much sharper,clearer and with much better colors too!

Will_C

Second Unit
Real Name
Will
If I remember correctly, Paul Sorvino was only in one season (S2) of L&O. Chris Noth partnered with George Dzundza in S1, Paul Sorvino in S2 and Jerry Orbach in S3. Once again, if I remember correctly, Chris Noth left after S3 and Benjamin Bratt came in as Jerry Orbach's new partner. I've been holding back on buying these early sets since I can't stand Michael Moriarty's (the ADA who was replaced by Sam Waterston in S4) acting. Since Sam Waterston's character comes in S4, I'll start collecting from that point. I do have the S14 set that came out last year since it has both Jerry Orbach and Sam Waterston. I wish they'd release these sets and the L&O:SVU sets on a faster schedule.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell

Paul Sorvino appears as Noth's partner in the first 8 episodes of Season 3. He also has a "cameo" in episode 9, the episode in which Jerry Orbach first appears.

Chris Noth is in the first 5 seasons.

Moriarty is in the first 4 seasons.

Season 3 also marks the last for Richard Brooks (Asst. D.A. Paul Robinette) and Dann Florek (Captain Cragen).

David Coleman

Supporting Actor

Wow... we are on opposite plains!!! I intend to collect all the Moriarity years as he's my favorite character in the show's history. I may collect the seasons where Carey Lowell was Waterston's assistant.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

It's possible the first two seasons were shot on 16mm film, and they upgraded to 35mm for seasons 3 on.

Vincent

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

If I remember right, just the pilot was shot on 16mm, but it wasn't even the first episode shown. It was poorer quality on the season 1 set, and it was mentioned in the interviews.

Gord

HowardPaul

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmmm.....interesting comments.
Well, my favorite character of all was only in the first season: George Dzundza.
I LOVE Moriarty, too.
I was surprisingly impressed by Chris Noth.
I've only seen the first 2 seasons thus far and most of the more recent shows---meaning SVU, CI and Law and Order for the last several years. I've have not seen season 3 yet.
But, I must say that in the recent shows I strongly disliked Jerry Ohrbach. His comments often seemed inappropriate, cruel and harsh. For the 'sarcastic type' who Jerry portrays, I greatly prefer Richard Belzer in SVU. Belzer's underlying goodness shines thru regardless. This was not my experience with Jerry in the more recent shows.
I'll reserve my own 'final opinion' until I see Jerry in Season 3. I do have it and will begin it soon.
Best
Howard

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
Orbach is prominently featured in the art work for Season 3 for 2 reasons.....One, this was his first year as regular and Two, he recently passed away.

Will_C

Second Unit
Real Name
Will

I have to disagree about these two. I was really amused by Briscoe's (Orbach's) smartass remarks. He lightened alot of the tension. On the other hand, Belzer's character thinks of himself as God's gift to the SVU and that no one can operate on his plane of thought. Munch just pisses everyone off, which is why they partner him with someone just as sarcastic in their own way and can always find a way to let the hot air out of him. Much like Tutuola does.

Since we're on SVU here, I really love both Stephanie March and Diane Neal as the ADAs. No complaints here about either one. But for me, Mariska Hargitay and Chris Meloni really rule that show. Benson and Stabler are two intense characters. Also props to Dann Florek as Capt. Cragen.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks