Law And Order: Season 14...

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by David Coleman, May 26, 2004.

1. David Coleman

David Coleman Supporting Actor

I must say that it's suprising news that they went out of order? However marketing-wise not a bad idea as those episodes have never aired in syndication yet! Kinda like the premise behind 24.

Hopefully after this, they'll release back in order! I want seasons 3-5 with Ben Stone as the prosecutor! I've always preferred him over Jack McCoy. Plus in Season 3 you get to see the transition from Cerreta to Briscoe and Jill Hennesy in Season 5 along with one of my favorite episodes: SANCTUARY!

Btw... I picked up Season Two and I'm loving it!! I even like the fact that it's on 3 DVD-18's! I really hate opening those 6/7 fold digipacks for other television series!

Sorry can't get the link to work from TVSHOWSONDVD.COM.

2. Sean Aaron

Sean Aaron Second Unit

Sean Aaron
    Yeah, the marketing angle is interesting...hopefully more are forthcoming! I'm also hoping to see more of SVU and CI which I didn't get to see much of upon original airing.

3. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

It's the new trend, Paramount is doing the same with Survivor and Frasier by releasing the most recent season. I wouldn't be surprised if more studios start doing this.

4. Sean Aaron

Sean Aaron Second Unit

Sean Aaron
    Does this mean they'll start working from both ends, i.e., S3 next and then S13? It would make a certain sense if the show continues, that way by the time they're done they'll have another 5 series to release...

5. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I don't think you'll see studios working backwards; more likely they'll continue releasing seasons in order while also releasing the most recent season while it's still fresh in people's memories.

6. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Warner Bros. did this with Babylon 5 on VHS and laserdisc. [​IMG] The fifth and final season aired on TNT in 1998, and enough fans either didn't get cable at all or subscribed to services that didn't carry TNT that they missed the whole thing. So when WB finally decided to release the series on home video they alternated groups of six episodes (3 tapes or 3 discs) from season one with six episodes from season five. The odd part is what happened next. Having released both complete seasons plus one TV movie from each, the studio then started working forward from S1 with S2 and backwards from S5 with S4. (But starting with episode 401, not running backwards from 422, in case anyone was wondering. [​IMG])

Unfortunately just about the time that S1 and S5 finished up news about some preliminary plans for a DVD release (later scrapped) leaked out of WB. Fans stopped buying the LDs and VHS tapes because they were expecting the DVDs to be released soon (and probably in some cases because the release order was just confusing) and WB finally cancelled both its own VHS release and the LD release which Image had been producing under license. Thanks to their peculiar release order that meant fans ended up with all of S1, about half of S2, none of S3, six episodes from S4 and all of S5. [​IMG] It also meant that it would be years before we could persuade them to release the show on DVD, because they were convinced the failure of the LD and DVD releases meant that there was no market for the show.

Regards,

Joe

7. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

Just saw the covers for the L&O sets coming out in September...

[​IMG]

Does this strike anyone as odd? They are calling them "The 2004 Season" Didn't the season start in 2003? Did I miss something?

8. Will_C

Will_C Second Unit

Will
    Man I'm glad we're getting more SVU. I really like the way Mariska Hargitay and Chris Meloni play their characters. I'm looking forward to getting seasons 2,3 and 4. As far as L&O is concerned, perhaps the fact that this season was Jerry Orbach's last had something to do with the decision to skip to season 14? Probably not but just a thought. I like Sam Waterston's character, Jack McCoy as lead prosecutor. Waterston seems to me to put more fire and emotion into the role than the previous actor, I guess that was the role of Ben Stone that David Coleman mentioned. But he's also been paired with some great actresses such as Jill Hennesey, Angie Harmon and Elizabeth Rohm (I know there was another actress but I can't remember her name). If any one hasn't seen Sam Waterston in the movie "The Killing Fields", it's worth checking out.

9. David Coleman

David Coleman Supporting Actor

Carey Lowell is the other actress.

When Waterston came on the show his character was a very strong, noticable prescence. Over the years his character has definitely lost the bite he had in the previous years. He's pretty much a neutral character nowadays which is why I wouldn't be offended if they replaced him with a younger more agressive type character! That type would play well against the Arthur Branch character.

10. Will_C

Will_C Second Unit

Will
    Fred Thompson really made me sit up and take notice when he became the new DA Arthur Branch. I had never even considered the idea of one of us 'ol boys from the south getting elected as district attorney in NYC. [​IMG] All the boyhood stories and southern witticisms bring a new side to the series. It appears to be working really well from the few episodes I've been able to watch. But if Waterston's character "has definitely lost the bite he had in the previous years", maybe it's not the actor but the writers who need to focus energy on the part? Just my .02.