LAW AND ORDER observations...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Coleman, Jan 25, 2003.

1. David Coleman

David Coleman Supporting Actor

Recently i've had the chance to view on DVD the 1st season of this great show. This is my favorite show on television and has been since about it's 3rd season. In watching the first season it's easy to see that the basic concept is still the same (catch and convict) yet there have been some changes over the years that i'd be remiss in not mentioning.

First of all-- the cast! I will go on record as saying I much prefer the character of Ben Stone over Jack McCoy. I like McCoy and his character is interesting, however Ben Stone to me was really the heart of the show. His was really about seeking justice! I really like the combination of Dzundza and Noth. I see that those characters really interact with each other and their dialogue carried the emotional weight of the story as they were usually on opposite sides. My favorite pairing was actually Briscoe and Logan. Robinette, while he never did anything in the courtroom, was very worthwhile to the case as an investigator. I'll go on record as saying I prefer the female assistants that have been on the show (Carey Lowell being my favorite of the actresses).

The characters seemed to be more in the line of telling the story from an emotional and philosophical standpoint back then. Nowadays, the characters really just go through the motions. Very little emotional weight comes from the characters. Little crime is to small. L & O has become where the smaller crime leads only to the bigger conspiracy behind it (thought this season they've really toned that down). The twist have been a highlight of the show, however sometimes I feel that the twist is to serve the purpose of the twist-- not always the story!

For any long time fan of this show i'd encourage you to look back at the early episodes and you'll see how the show has evolved (good or bad) from the early days. I'd like to know what this forum's views are of this show comparing and contrasting now with the first season. What are some of your conclusions?

David

2. Michael Silla

Michael Silla Second Unit

Good comments,

I feel mostly the same way. I have always been a fan but honestly find myself watching L & O on A&E more than on NBC itself. I think Ben Stone was worlds better than Jack McCoy and to be quite honest, mcCoy is getting a bit long in the tooth. I liked the Ben Stone/Robinette combination and I think the show has been downgraded a bit since Stone left.

I think of all the spinoffs and I have to say that I like SVU the best. There is something about Ice-T on L & O that is both strange yet interesting as well [​IMG]

Michael.

3. David Coleman

David Coleman Supporting Actor

I'd have to concur with you that the Jack McCoy character has gotten long in tooth. I'm actually surprised that with all the cast changes that the producers haven't made a change there. Don't get me wrong, I've loved his character, but his character started off as very aggressive and provacative but nowadays he's mild (bordering boring)! I do think it's time for a change!