What's new

Law and Order/New York City Question (1 Viewer)

Hunter P

Screenwriter
I was watching L&O reruns on TNT last night. You know how they list a full street address when they change locations? They even list the name of the building (e.g. Joe's Restaurant, 115 First Avenue). I was wondering if anyone ever checked out those addresses to see if they were accurate or made up.

PeteyG

Stunt Coordinator
I know that they shoot on location here in NYC (one of the few shows that still do!), however the addresses they show you are not accurate.

For example, an episode that aired on NBC (forget which Law & Order) a few weeks ago regarding a murder in a rich family's apartment, kept on showing the address of the apt as a Park Avenue address (ritzy, very pricey neighborhood to go along with the "rich" family murder plot) In actuality, the apartment building they kept showing was on 48th St. & 1st Ave in the new Trump World Tower (where Derek Jeter lives) right across from the UN. I know this because I used to live right down the street (on 48th & 2nd), and saw them filming the episode. When I watched it on TV a few weeks ago, it was pretty funny how they were portraying it as Park Ave, when the East River and the flags from the UN were clearly in the background of the scene shots.

I would assume the address exists, but I can tell you that more times than not, the location they are shooting from is different from the address they show you.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty sure I've read that many of the addresses put up on-screen would be in the middle of a river if you tried to find them on a map.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
I doubt that, for legal reasons, they could show real addresses on the air.

Just like all phone numbers on tv or the movies start with the non-existent prefix 555.

Joel

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Fictitious numbers have now been limited to 555-0100 to 555-0199. Other 555 numbers are being used.

//Ken

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I'm pretty sure I've read that many of the addresses put up on-screen would be in the middle of a river if you tried to find them on a map
That's exactly right. Street names are almost always real, but the numbers are fictitious.

M.

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
My friend was the custodian at an East Village public school where they filmed about 6 different L&O episodes in addition to Mickey Blue Eyes. I assume that they listed these locations as 6 seperate schools for the episodes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks