Law and Order DVD release order?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Blu, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

I've never seen this show however I know it has a large tv presence. I looked on Amazon to find out a little about the show and see a bizarre release order.

It seems that they are releasing this show and its spinoffs out of order. Is there a reason for this? It just seems weird!

They released I think the first 2-3 seasons and then the last one! There are a lot in between that they haven't done yet, same with the spinoffs, Criminal Intent is missing season 2? ODD!!!

2. DaleC

DaleC Agent

yeah, I noticed this too. My GF is a Law & Order fan and we wanted to get S3, but I look in Best Buy and see Season 14 (!!) This makes no sense. Anyone know what's going on with them?

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

This is heading into "needs to be a FAQ territory"...

Universal isn't so much releasing their shows "out of order" as they've got two seperate release tracks - one, releasing shows from the beginning and two, releasing recent seasons while they can still be considered a "new release". If you look at the packages, they actually have slightly different trade dress. I don't know if Universal considers them two seperate product lines, but that's what they're doing, not just jumping around in random order.

4. John Stell

John Stell Supporting Actor

John Stell
  5. Regulus

Regulus Cinematographer

William Hughes
    And it can be YOURS for ONLY :D :eek: :jawdrop: $699.99 :jawdrop: :eek: :D ! (Plus Tax) :laugh:

6. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Nobody's gonna pay the full retail price of $699.99 for this monster set! Likely, it'll be on amazon for about $300 less. Another thing--I'm not really sure how many people are interested. There's a few people on here who are clamoring for more L&O dvds, but not many. For such a huge set with such a huge price tag, I don't think it's actually popular enough to move that many units. I wish it would, though--because the studios might take note and try releasing other neglected shows as 'complete series' rather than dribbling out seasons or half-seasons every year or whenever they get around to it. Are you listening, Paramount? I think it would a lot of fun if suddenly big, big shows like "Gunsmoke" "Beverly Hillbillies" or "Bonanza" suddenly were put out in this format...

7. Jack P

Jack P Producer

I can't think of anyone who would spring for that, because frankly I don't think even the biggest Law And Order fan holds every season in such high regard. Frankly, they're already long past the era of the show I like since Sam Waterston's arrival was the end for me.

8. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer

Ray
    I am not a Law and Order fan so I won't be getting this set, but I have to applaud Universal for the effort. I too would love for other studios to follow this model. I prefer to purchase complete series sets anyway, especially when they come with practical packaging like Shout!'s Leave it to Beaver set or Universal's The A Team. Perhaps Universal could use this model on McCloud. As for Paramount, yes I too would like The Beverly Hillbillies or The Phil Silvers show. Anyway, way to go Universal and good luck!

9. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson Screenwriter

I will be getting it, because I had despaired of ever getting the full release of my favorite cop show. Now maybe Warner, be it in archive or standard release, will get off the schneid do a complete release of my favorite private eye, Harry O.

10. John Stell

John Stell Supporting Actor

John Stell
    I just pre-ordered it on Amazon for $490. My only question now is whether or not it will have Exiled on it. If not I can always get the UK DVD. Think I'll email Universal about it...

11. Steve Meil

Steve Meil Stunt Coordinator

Steve
    Did they think of all the people who have all the released seasons (9) 1-8, 14. Even 498.98@ amazon is allot of money, not to mention the full retail of 699.99. If the set comes to more than $1.00 per episode then wait sometime till it drops. Example when season 6 of House came out Amazon had it for 41.99. After waiting about 6 months, Target had a sale for 19.99. I also got some of the law and order series from NBC Universal on sale for 19.99.Someone commentated on this release as being a good deal at 699.99 on DDD. Its absurd that anyone in there right mind would ever spend that kind of money, At 498.98 it comes to 1.09 per episode which isn't bad for an opening price. No season of any show of 13- 22 episodes should ever be mor than $1.00 er episode