What's new

Laverne & Shirley (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
I'm starting to think changes in the buying habits and the economy is making some catalog stuff seem move compelling now. Maybe because current shows are so accessible?

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
YES YES YES!!!!!! THANK YOU CBS! Now if there is a way bring us the Jenny Piccilo years of Happy Days. Thanks again.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I didn't think anyone wanted the Jenny Piccilo years of Happy Days. I guess I thought wrong. Glad to see Happy Days and Laverne & Shirley be finished on DVD (as far as I'm concerned, that is). The first three seasons of Happy Days and the first 5 of Laverne & Shirley were all I was ever interested in acquiring.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
LeoAmes said:
I didn't think anyone wanted the Jenny Piccilo years of Happy Days. I guess I thought wrong.
I thought the late seasons of Happy Days were pretty silly myself. But I thought it was pretty cool that the Fonz actually grew up and became a family man with a neat job. I don't even know the name of the actress that played Jenny Piccilo, but I had a huge crush on her at the time, and still do I guess....I don't know I haven't seen those episodes in almost 30 years.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
Cathy Silvers played Jenny Piccolo. She was the daughter of Phil Silvers of "Seargent Bilko/The Phil Silvers Show". I had stopped watching HD long before she joined, but I caught glimpses of her here and there. I guess the show was set in around 1963 at that point. Her hairdo reminded me of Lesley Gore.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
If you guys have The Hub, that channel shows these episodes (And the California years of Laverne & Shirley if you want to see why few people liked the show after they left Milwaukee, although I'd argue you're already seeing a drastic decline in quality with season 5 like with that stupid two part passenger train murder mystery episode... although I still intend to purchase season 5). Having gone through both eras for those two shows over the past year or so thanks to that network, I never intend to revisit either era again. Happy Days is a three season program and Laverne & Shirley is a 5 season program as far as I'm concerned. Happy Days started going downhill when Fonzie became civilized, he went from being cool to having some sort of mythical and magical powers over people and an awful lot of insecurity, Joanie grew up (She was cuter when she wore her cub scout uniform, was always being sent to her bedroom, and loved to see Ritchie getting into some trouble), I didn't like her boyfriend or his mother (Chatchi or however you spell it), I missed Arnold and didn't like Al, Fonzie becomes a teacher, the Ralph and Potsy characters completely changed a few seasons in, the whole high school thing, the new restuarant, Jenny became a real character and not just someone you heard things about occasionally, Ritchie and Ralph leaving, etc. The show was at its best when it was about 1950's teenage life and they were young teenagers in 9th or 10th grade or there abouts, the Fonz was little removed from a motorcycle hood that valued being cool over just about anything else in life, etc. About the start of season 4 or so, it started a steady and continuous plunge that didn't end until they finally put it out of its misery years too late. It had already jumped the shark well before the Fonz actually did it... But I guess someone most of still enjoyed them to last as long as they did, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.. But not even the collector and completionist in me is enough to get me to buy them on DVD beyond the early seasons that I loved (Although I hope they're both finished on DVD someday for those that did enjoy them). Not sure what my opinion of Mork & Mindy is, been so many years since I watched it that I barely remember it (Did that one see a lot of evolution and deviation away from the original formula?).

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
[quote name="LeoAmes" url="/t/163138/laverne-shirley-merged-thread#post_3886834 But I guess someone most of still enjoyed them to last as long as they did, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.. But not even the collector and completionist in me is enough to get me to buy them on DVD beyond the early seasons that I loved (Although I hope they're both finished on DVD someday for those that did enjoy them). Not sure what my opinion of Mork & Mindy is, been so many years since I watched it that I barely remember it (Did that one see a lot of evolution and deviation away from the original formula?).[/quote] By the final season, Mork and Mindy were married and had a child named Mirth that was played by Jonathan Winters.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Started on season 1 of Laverne & Shirley at long last and noticed Connie Francis in the music credits. Did any of her music somehow manage to survive the usual CBS music cuts on DVD, or will I be forever teased by seeing the name of one of my favorite singers in the end credits?

There's been so sign of her in the first half dozen or so episodes, so I fear the worse. :(

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Started on season 1 of Laverne & Shirley at long last and noticed Connie Francis in the music credits. Did any of her music somehow manage to survive the usual CBS music cuts on DVD, or will I be forever teased by seeing the name of one of my favorite singers in the end credits?

There's been so sign of her in the first half dozen or so episodes, so I fear the worse. :(
I actually don't recall hearing any Connie Francis and I know much of the music was changed for the show on dvd. I have heard rumors that the European dvd release of the complete series may have the original music in tact. But I have not found anyone who has it that can confirm. Anyone?

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I was drifting off to sleep, but I heard what sounded like Doris Day singing Que Sera Sera last night before turning my tv off.

I wonder if that's original, or a replacement for something like a Connie Francis song. She's not on any of the end credits on this second disc of season 1 after a quick check just now.

If it's a replacement song, my compliments to them since it has to be a cover version (They're obviously not going to license a Doris Day song to replace licensed music that they're too cheap to clear), even though it sounded exactly like Doris Day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks