Laverne & Shirley (MERGED THREAD)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Rob P S, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Rob P S

Rob P S Screenwriter

rob

2. DouglasRobert

DouglasRobert Second Unit

Thanks for the info, been looking for this to come out on DVD for a long time.

Now I can get rid of the tapes, when it does come out. Complete series on over 30 tapes takes up a lot of room.

3. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

Just this past week, my grandma died and I have to tell you that hearing not only this news, but that Charlie's Angels Season Two AND The Marx Brothers Collection were all on the way, it was a bright part to my week.

Paramount, you just might be winning my faith in you back afterall.

Season One of L & S consisted of 15 shows and, being that they were done on film, they should look decent enough to totally take out of my mind my own collection of this series on VHS (you aren't alone Douglas). Hopefully, the shows will be the ones that originally aired, and not the sloppy edited ones that have shown for years in syndication.

Can't wait.

4. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

If Michael McKean wins an Oscar for "A Kiss Across The Rainbow" from "A Mighty Wind", I think this might street sooner.

Just an idea...

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

HELLO!

5. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    How about commentaries by Marshall and Williams??

6. Chris:L

Chris:L Supporting Actor

That would be great. That would be absolutely terrific. I love to hear Cast commentaries. I can't wait for the cover art to be revealed. I love Cover Art. I hope it's the famous picture of Laverne & Shirley during the credit sequence when they're rushing out the front door. Or maybe when they first enter the room (Penny in closet/Cindy entering through front door). I don't know.

I can't wait till Happy Days comes out and I don't understand why they're having so much trouble with the music rights. I hope it doesn't turn into a money fiasco like Wonder Years.

7. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey

What kind of fiasco?
    Why is W.Y. being heldup?

8. Chris:L

If you recall watching every episode of W.Y. had at least one to three songs from the era the show was taking place in. I'm not sure about thsi but if they released Wonder Years Complete First Season that would mean they would have to license the songs onto the DVDs because of Copyright negotiations. Gord, help me explain this.

9. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

Well...I am hoping that with this title coming, that companies are finally finding a way to do with music rights.

The first three seasons of L & S were filled with music from different artist such as Fats Domino, Connie Francis and other stars of the 50's.

Here is to hoping that the days of this reason for holding releases back are over. And if so, I am glad it is starting with one of my favorite comedies of all time.

10. Chris:L

Don't keep your hopes up!

11. JosephStas

JosephStas Auditioning

I'd love to get the entire series on dvd....even the horrid 8th season (the one without Shirley). Do you guys think the entire series will be made available or just the earlier more popular seasons? If I'm not mistaken that show was in the top 5 for the first four years and then slipped in the ratings during the fifth year (the last Milwaukee season). Anyways my hunch is the dvds will stop after the 4th or 5th season.

12. Chris:L

Well, hopefully all of them.

13. JasonPW

JasonPW Stunt Coordinator

Interesting topic, of interest not just to "Laverne and Shirley" but to so many series that rode the rollercoaster of quality from hilarious to unwatchable shit.

Do you put out the seasons of:

Andy Griffith post-Barney?
    Happy Days post-Richie?
    Roseanne post-lottery win?
    Petticoat Junction post-Kate?
    Chico and the Man post-Chico?

I think most of us who start with a series want it completed, but put yourself in the studio's shoes: How do you market and get shelf space for some of these crappy later seasons?

Any other examples?

Doc

14. JosephStas

JosephStas Auditioning

Charlie's Angels-I want the whole series but my hunch is it'll stop after season 3.

Good Times-I know a lot of people lost interest after James Evans died but the later seasons had Janet Jackson which might be considered a strong selling point. I will say the fourth season was still pretty good.

Dallas-I think this will end as soon as Pam crashes her car into that truck (assuming the series makes it that far). I loved Dallas but it's not the type of show that you can watch over and over again.

Three's Company-This one is kind of hard actually. While the Suzanne Somers years were what many would consider to be the Definitive Three's Company, the ratings were still pretty good with Priscilla and Jenilee. I can see the series ending with the fourth season (Suzanne's last) but I can't rule out the possibility of the entire series being made available. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't that show always in the top 10 with the exception of the last year?

Frasier-I think this one will end right as Frasier loses his job. That show went through a period where it just wasn't very funny anymore and it began with the unemployment shows.

These are the series that I think will be released in their entirety:

Simpsons
    Friends
    Golden Girls (if it's ever released)
    I Love Lucy
    What's Happening (There were only three seasons and considering #2 is on the way, I think we can count on #3 being released)

15. Mark To

Mark To Supporting Actor

Andy Griffith post-Barney?
    Happy Days post-Richie?
    Roseanne post-lottery win?
    Petticoat Junction post-Kate?
    Chico and the Man post-Chico?

I personally would not buy any of them, post. But I can understand that diehard fans of those shows would. None of these are on my all-time favorites list so I would only want the shows when they were good. But, for example, Outer Limits is my favorite show so I did buy the inferior second season although I don't recommend it to anyone else. I would want all of Man from UNCLE but I would never tell anyone the 3rd season was anything but awful. BTW, others for your list:

My Three Sons post Bub and Mike
    Laverne and Shirley post Shirley
    Lucy Show post Vivian
    Bonanza post Adam
    Mission Impossible post Rollin & Cinnamon
    Mannix post Intertect
    Real McCoys post Kate
    Bewitched post real Darrin

16. Chris:L

M*A*S*H will survive the DVD.

Hopefully, Laverne & Shirley, Happy Days, Mork & Mindy, and Taxi does too.. but that's praying not hoping.

I Love Lucy will sell definitely. It doesn't amtter if The Ricardos moved to Paris or moved to California or whereever... the fans stayed with the Ricardos and the Mertzes.

17. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

I know that the set sold reasonably well and with all the talk lately of the forthcoming Paramount properties that are forthcoming, this title, "Happy Days" and others are absent.

Any word on this one?

18. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

Just a guess, but I would expect that a February or March release is likely.

19. Chris:L

Anyone heard hints of the second season of Laverne & Shirley and Happy Days?

20. Kasey

Kasey Second Unit

Kasey
    I was sure this one was stalled indefinitely. It's been four years since S4 and now we get word via Tvshowsondvd.com that CBS is releasing S5 April 10! So far, 2012 is turning out to be a MUCH better year than 2011 for Classic Tv fans.