What's new

Laverne & Shirley - Any news on more season sets (1 Viewer)

DouglasRobert

Second Unit
It's been quite a long time since the 1st Season set of Laverne & Shirley.

Is there any news or more season sets of this show?

Any idea as to why there is a delay in it's release?

I already own the 1st season and would really like to see more get released.

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
I'd like to see more season sets,of Laverne & Shirley,released,as well,but,unfortunately,it's not going to happen.It was stated,in another thread,that future releases have been cancelled.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I was under the impression that because of the music rights to Happy Days, Paramount was cancelling L&S as well as Mork & Mindy releases. If true, I think that's insane. I understand that Happy Days is probably a licensing nightmare but I can't imagine L&S or M&M being quite as much trouble. They should continue released those titles even if they can't put out any further Happy Days sets.

Unless of course the first seasons didn't sell as well as we had hoped.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I suppose it's good for M&M since most people consider season 1 the best, for that show it certainly wasn't a case as if season 1 had been all we saw for Seinfeld or The Simpsons.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Though it is really hard for me to do...I have to give Paramount the benefit of the doubt on this one.

I do beleive that in time we will get the further seasons of LAVERNE AND SHIRLEY basically do to the fact that L & S are now considered as pieces of Pop Culture and there are many fans out there of the series.

There are many people around me that didn't even know about the first season release that because of me are now owners and two of them constantly ask me about season two. Some of the best shows of the series came out of the series between season two and four and for Paramount to stop and cancel the rest of the series is nothing but a further slap in the face from this company.

I don't think that it is anywhere dead yet...otherwise, if they were simply focused on just HAPPY DAYS (which in fact I hate this series) they would have already had the second season of it released by now. It is has been over a year now.

While I have said it before...if music rights are the issues for this series...I beleive that is only through season three that they would need to worry about that being afterthat they started using canned music. I would even go as far as saying that I wouldn't even mind if they substituted the music on this series. While yes, it would not be the 'original' series...it would be better than nothing at all. It was the teaming of Penny and Cindy as well as David and Michael that made this series...not the music from the 50's.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Also,
The cancellation of tv on dvd series is never really solid. Look at the Jeffersons, and Mary Tyler Moore show.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Overall, music wasn't a huge part of L&S. I'd be disappointed but willing to accept music replacement if that's what it took to get further seasons released. The only exceptions that I can think of offhand are the Schotz Brewery talent show episodes. Removal or replacement of music in those episodes would ruin them.

As far as future season sets I'll paraphrase Shirley Feeney and say:

" . . . but he's got high hopes . . . high apple pie in the sky hopes . . . "

John*P

Second Unit
Replacing music on a Laverne & Shirley DVD set would be nothing new; according to one of the DVD cases, some of the music on the first season set has been altered...

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I'm a huge L&S fan but I couldn't figure out which music had been replaced on the first season set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks