Laverne and Shirley Season 2???

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by ClaireW, Feb 22, 2005.

1. ClaireW

ClaireW Auditioning

Hi,

I just joined this great forum after lurking for awhile and I am dying to hear any info about Laverne and Shirley season 2. Did it sell well? Most of the shows from season 2 I have never seen so I am so excited to get it. Also any news on Diff'rent Strokes season 2?

Thanks,
    Claire

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Welcome!

No news yet on either of those, I'm afraid. I'm a bit weirded out by the lack of any recent hints of future L&S/Happy Days/Mork releases. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what's up there and see if the studio announces anything. Maybe they're just trying to get enormous music rights issues worked out, I dunno.

I'm sure we'll see DS-S2 eventually; it's (unfortunately) VERY normal for Sony to take a long time between releases. [​IMG]

3. DouglasRobert

DouglasRobert Second Unit

Laverne & Shirley Season 1 was released August of last year, I believe. It's now the end of March 2005 and still no announcement or even rumors of any more seasons of this hit show.

What gives?

Other Season sets of Paramount shows, that were released around the same time, have been announced or released. So I just don't get what's the hold up.

I hope this great show keeps getting released on DVD. To just release the first season, and then nothing more would be such a huge let down for fans of the show.

Even at this point I would like to hear of rumors of future releases of L&S.

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Three shows tied with each other came out that same week with S1 sets: L&S, Happy Days, and Mork & Mindy. None of them have S2 announcements or rumors. First-week sales of all three were nothing to write home about. Given the high music costs of L&S and HD, Paramount is waiting to see if these sell better as "catalog" titles than as "first week" titles. In other words, do they "have legs"?

On the other hand, the Wall Street Journal made the whole thing sound more positive than I just did, at least for Happy Days. Read all about it.

5. Angela_K

Angela_K Stunt Coordinator

Angela
    I have a feeling we'll see more Happy Days, cause after the reunion aired, sales on amazon.com shot up for Happy Days Season 1 DVD. I think the reunion really helped sales jump quite a bit [​IMG]

Hopefully we'll get more HD and Laverne and Shirley soon

6. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

Well...I think that also what didn't help matters really with the first season sales was such a high price point for something that was not a full season...just 15 shows.

Speaking only for myself...with this title...I am with it for all 8 seasons. I love this show and basically, even at almost 34 years old, this is still my favorite comedy in television history. Yeah...it can be spotty at times, but still...I would be there. Hell...there were even a few funny shows out of the last season when Penny was by herself.

I really do hope that we hear something soon about future seasons of this show...

I also do believe that people that would buy these sets have somewhat decided not to purchase them based on Paramounts non-dedication to the series. If there was a release of season two...when the program really started getting it's legs...then maybe people would see that they are not going to have just a one shot thing sitting on their shelf.

While I know that both this and Happy Days cost a pretty penny to put out...at the same time, I can think of many other titles for which Paramount has lost money on and that didn't stop them for getting a title out.

I think that is is very naive for a company to want dedication from the public when the company itself doesn't seem to have the same respect. It's a give and take sort of business.