What's new

International Laurel & Hardy's THE FLYING DEUCES - Network On Air Blu-ray & DVD Available For Preorder (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Last month, VCI Entertainment Released what is in my opinion, currently the best version of THE FLYING DEUCES to heretofore, exist on any Home Video Format, especially in Region 1/A, the latter of which is its designation on the Disc label. Thus, I cannot guarantee its playability on Region B and C Blu-ray Players.

With that said, shortly after it's May 19 Release, Network uploaded a sample excerpt from their own upcoming June 15, 2015 Blu-ray Release. In my opinion, the visual quality from this sample is superior to anything on the VCI version. However, I also believe it makes sense to reserve final judgement until either an advance review based on viewing the entire Film surfaces or, as it appears to be the far more likely scenario, after the Release Date, once the Technical Reviews start surfacing!

Network On Air is issuing THE FLYING DEUCES separately on both Blu-ray and DVD Formats. Here is a breakdown on each version:

Blu-ray Release:
download (2).jpg

Format: Universal (Should play on appropriate North American Playback Equipment!)
Region: ABC
Running Time: Approximately 68 Minutes
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00T6LQHOM?tag=skim0x95940-21&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

DVD Release:
download.jpg

Format: PAL (Won't play on some appropriate North American Playback Equipment!)
Region: 0
Running Time: Approximately 65 Minutes (The shorter running time is due to the 4% Speedup that's typically associated with PAL Formatting.)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flying-Deuces-DVD-Stan-Laurel/dp/B00T6LQGT8/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1433538124&sr=1-1&keywords=the+flying+deuces+dvd

Both versions contain these Bonus Features:

SPECIAL FEATURES
[] German version: Dick und Doof in der Fremdenlegion
[] Image Gallery
[] Promotional Material PDF

Network On Air Promotional Video:

Reactions: PMF

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I've preordered this on the strength of the Network Promo's stunning (In my opinion!) Visual quality. It is my hope that this level of quality will be consistent throughout, and that it'll be complete with the original RKO Logo/Titles/Credits, and also include the proper Music for the End Credits (Rather than Music taken from the opening, and sloppily overdubbed, as has been typical with previous FD Releases!), as does the recently issued VCI Blu-ray.

8 days until Release Day!

CHEERS! :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
AnthonyClarke said:
I have it on order

Now please, Way Out West, if anyone can sort out rights issues......
Hi Anthony!

Now, with possibly 2 high quality Blu-ray releases of THE FLYING DEUCES, my Laurel & Hardy selection for a better quality version is SONS OF THE DESERT! In my opinion, this was easily the worst presentation on the otherwise marvelous LAUREL & HARDY: THE ESSENTIAL COLLECTION 10 DVD set! Like FD had been for so long, the best SOTD Digital Transfers are PAL Based, and thus are affected by the 4% speedup, not to mention also being slightly marred by pixelation, particularly during the Parade sequence.

Tony

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
My UK Amazon Blu-ray order of THE FLYING DEUCES by Network On Air has shipped today. Once I receive this (Probably within the next 2 weeks, or so.), I plan to post my observations of this version, and how it compares with the recent VCI Entertainment Blu-ray Release!

However, I'm undecided about viewing the German dubbed version that is also included as an extra? I may just check it for general visual quality.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
John Hodson said:
Review with 'grabs/comparisons

Well that sort of clinches it that the Network version is better.

According to Network's website the disc is region ABC. So it is apparently safe to import, though I would like a confirmation from an actual end-user that it is region-free.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
John Hodson said:
Review with 'grabs/comparisons
Mark-P said:
Well that sort of clinches it that the Network version is better.

According to Network's website the disc is region ABC. So it is apparently safe to import, though I would like a confirmation from an actual end-user that it is region-free.
John & Mark:

Thank you very much John for sharing the link to these beautiful looking Screenshots of the Network On Air Release! This would appear to answer my main question regarding the Visual quality being consistent throughout!

Thank you Mark, for the link for the Network On Air page! I was aware of its existence, although I somehow didn't get it posted on this page.

As a Region A end user who will be receiving this Blu-ray, I'll hopefully be able to confirm Region free usability. I have seen some inconsistency regarding this Title's Region listing. I suspect this may at least be in part, due to the vast majority of Network On Air's Blu-rays actually being playable in Region B only. However, based on their own Region ABC listing of THE FLYING DEUCES, I'm at least 99% confident that this represents a most fortuitous exception!

Of course, the proof is in the Pudding, as the saying goes! As I've previously indicated above, I will be posting my findings regarding this Title once I've received it in my Mailbox.

Tony

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
A Reviewer, who has an advance test copy of the Network On Air Blu-ray has in fact, confirmed that this is a Region ABC Disc!

Though there is a link for this Review a few posts up, I've reposted this, as the review has been revised with the aforementioned Region Code listing.

From the Archive: A British Television Blog - Blu-ray Review: The Flying Deuces

http://www.from-the-archive.co.uk/2015/06/blu-ray-review-flying-deuces.html

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Douglas R said:
Bought this today from HMV during my Saturday shopping. Very impressive restoration with excellent picture quality - better than I would ever have expected. It does include the original RKO logo.
Hi Doug!

It seems that somebody finally got it right with THE FLYING DEUCES! For those who don't have Blu-ray, Network On Air has also issued a Region 0 PAL DVD version (Subject to the 4% speedup.). Between these, and the not quite as good (Though still better than the others!) VCI Entertainment Blu-ray, I honestly think the other previous standalone versions could find their way to landfills! Who wants re-fried Corned Beef when there's nice juicy Steak to be had? ;)

Tony

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I was finally able to do some "Prt Scn" Screen Captures from THE FLYING DEUCES' Network On Air Blu-ray. While its overall visual quality is, in my opinion, superior to the VCI Entertainment Blu-ray, I've also noticed that the former isn't entirely without its own visual anomalies. The one that especially stood out for me is posted below:

THE FLYING DEUCES - Network On Air Blu-ray:

THE FLYING DEUCES - NETWORK - 05 (Fade In Anomaly) Silhouetted Tree At Sunrise.jpg

THE FLYING DEUCES - VCI Entertainment Blu-ray:

THE FLYING DEUCES - VCI Entertainment - Silhouette Tree Fade In.jpg

bluirv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Irv Haas
I received my copy today and was totally delighted with the restoration. I've never seen this title look better. Contrast is great with deep blacks.

For Laurel & Hardy fans this title is a no-brainer.

So when will we get the Hal Roach L&H titles on Blu-ray that will look this good?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
bluirv said:
I received my copy today and was totally delighted with the restoration. I've never seen this title look better. Contrast is great with deep blacks.

For Laurel & Hardy fans this title is a no-brainer.

So when will we get the Hal Roach L&H titles on Blu-ray that will look this good?
Hi bluirv!

Unfortunately, to my knowledge, any Blu-ray release of the Hal Roach Laurel & Hardy Titles that appear on "The Essential Collection" is NOT imminent!

A few months back, on "The Laurel & Hardy Forum," I did read that their Hal Roach Talkies were to be released in the form of HD Digital Downloads. They are now available on iTunes in true HD, though my understanding is these are only accessible in the U.S.

Regarding THE FLYING DEUCES' Network On Air Blu-ray, I agree that this is the best overall version yet to be issued to Home Video. We may be hard pressed to ever see anything better for this Title, and I, for one can live with that, especially after the many substandard Releases that have proliferated the Home Video landscape through the decades!

Tony

**********************************************UPDATE**********************************************

Richard W. Bann posted in The Hal Roach Studio

Since the Vivendi Essential L&H Boxed Set, fans have been asking about a possible Blu-Ray release. At this time, there is yet no plan for any such product. We can announce, however, that these same remastered titles are now available to own in true HD from iTunes here (and there will be another related announcement forthcoming in the months ahead):
https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewMultiRoom?cc=us&fcId=481125149

brynmill

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
mark bale
I understand that UCLA Film and Television Archive is still doing the Roach titles - I don't know how many titles have been restored by them at present.

I have the Network Flying Deuces BD - looks nice, but the German version.......what a complete utter waste of time/space on the disc. Pity they couldn't have done some sort of deal to get Legend's colorised version instead as a bonus.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
brynmill said:
I understand that UCLA Film and Television Archive is still doing the Roach titles - I don't know how many titles have been restored by them at present.

I have the Network Flying Deuces BD - looks nice, but the German version.......what a complete utter waste of time/space on the disc. Pity they couldn't have done some sort of deal to get Legend's colorised version instead as a bonus.
Hi brynmill!

I disagree insofar as any inclusion of Legend Film's heavily edited FD mess, which I would consider a gross insult to what I think is the best version of this oft issued Film, to date! The German version I could take or leave, though in my opinion, the voice over for Ollie matches up pretty nicely.

What I wish could have been included is an original Trailer of THE FLYING DEUCES, as that's one thing that seems to be missing from it's many Home Video incarnations!

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks