What's new

Laurel & Hardy? (1 Viewer)

David Brent

Stunt Coordinator
One of the few high points of the Christmas TV schedules in the UK has been the daily screening of Laurel & Hardy shorts on BBC2, reminding me just how much I love these guys.

There's yet to be a really comprehensive DVD release of their work in the UK, so does anyone know of plans for such in the US beyond the existing silent shorts?

Seems decent presentations of vintage material on DVD is still rather lacking, with a similar dearth of attention to The Marx Brothers, Harold Lloyd, etc.. With a lot of the major, more recent films now out I'm hoping this might change in 2003.

David

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
You brought up a good point about there being a lack of vintage material on DVD.

I would love to see all of the Laurel & Hardy shorts on DVD (in one collection).

While were on the subject of vintage material, I would also love to see all of the Our Gang shorts on DVD & I would absolutely love to see all of the Three Stooges shorts on DVD.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Unfortunately, most of Laurel & Hardy's work is owned by Artisan. US releases of classics like Sons Of The Desert or The Music Box are probably a long way off.
The good news is that most of their classic work has been released in France and Germany.
One more reason to go region-free folks.
Jeff

Duncan Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm is that really your name "David" - if so, then life must have been pretty unbearable these last few months!

All together now "FINCHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

David Brent

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,

The problem with the European DVDs is that they're rather expensive for what you get, and aren't the kind of comprehensive, definitive, extras-laden offerings I'm hoping for.

David

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Artisan "owns" the L&H films through Hallmark.
They better not screw up these films for DVD...or we'll have to demolish Artisan's HQ like The Boys did in Big Business. :D

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Given that the Hal Roach library has been re-sold and passed around the industry many ,many times now, it seems unlikely that there is much in the way of extra material to be available for DVD release. But, we can still hope !

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
L & H Hal Roach sound material is my Star Wars, my Indiana Jones.

I've been waiting forever for these, and am worried, because my off-the-air VHS tapes are now quickly losing their video. I would hate to buy any more commercial VHS tapes, but if DVD's of this stuff don't come out soon, I may have to.

I grew up on these watching them with my parents, and we laughed till we cried. I started my 13 year old son at about age 5, and he now loves them as much as me.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
You should get a region-free player and pick up the Australian DVDs of re-mastered L&H DVDs (Sons of the Desert, The Music Box, Flying Deuces, Way Out West). They will cost you under $15 and are definitely worth it.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I order from ezydvd. I've ordered about 25 DVDs from them and have never had a problem.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
1. Where do I get a region free player (is that allowed to be discussed here?)

2. Do the players convert from PAL to NSTC?

Thanks for any info.

Randy

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I've heard rumors that Hallmark is intending to issue L&H in 2003...no idea on timing, or extras or restoration, though, sorry.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
1. Where do I get a region free player (is that allowed to be discussed here?)

2. Do the players convert from PAL to NSTC?
There are several threads regarding this already but in short:

You would want to get a player that converts PAL to NTSC correctly, which limits you to a few models. The new JVC series (500 and 600), the Malata 520 (and one other model I think), or you can go the hack-it-yourself route with the new Cyberhome CH-500 which can be bought at Best Buy for about $60. Some folks rave about the Cyberhome and others have had problems with some discs. Personally, I would only own the Cyberhome as a backup machine but that's just my opinion. If you go with one of the JVC's or Malata's you're looking at around $250, give or take a few bucks. I know Home Theater Forum sponsor Laser's Edge has them in stock now but I think you'd have to email them as it isn't on their site yet ([email protected]). HKflix.com also has them for a few dollars more).

Personally, I own the JVC 500 and love it! But others love their Malatas and Cyberhome machines.

Jeff

Danny_N

Second Unit
Real Name
Danny
One word...even if Artisan does a poor job, L&H really shouldn't be seen sped up.
Their humor really needs that perfect timing.
Are you serious? How on earth would PAL speedup affect the timing of their humor? On PAL Hardy wouldn't deliver his jokes at a higher speed with Laurel trailing behind at a lower speed. Everything is slightly sped up by 4% (which is only noticable in direct comparisons btw).
Artisan/Hallmark will more than likely make use of the same prints as Kinowelt did and does in Germany (their 19th DVD of L&H material is coming in January :)). The KirchGroup has preserved and restored (where necessary) all the L&H Hal Roach sound features and shorts. They did the same thing with Little Rascals, Charley Chase and Harry Langdon material btw.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
The problem with the European DVDs is that they're rather expensive for what you get, and aren't the kind of comprehensive, definitive, extras-laden offerings I'm hoping for.
I'm not sure what extras if any are included but this German box set of 10 DVDs is only about $135 USD which doesn't seem all that expensive to me for 10 DVDs. The reviews say the quality is excellent and the German subtitles are removable.
Jeff

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Are you serious? How on earth would PAL speedup affect the timing of their humor? On PAL Hardy wouldn't deliver his jokes at a higher speed with Laurel trailing behind at a lower speed. Everything is slightly sped up by 4% (which is only noticable in direct comparisons btw).
Obviously.

What I'm talking about is that when a reaction takes, let's say, 2 seconds. That reaction now comes sooner.

A difference of that little time can make a gag funny or flat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks