Laurel & Hardy In Other Regions

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Matthew H, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Matthew H

Matthew H Second Unit

I'm aware of the UK 21-disc boxset that was put out last year (and is fantastic, by the way), but with a total lack of L&H here in R1 (with the exception of the two Artisan releases, and the upcoming Fox and WB releases).. I need to import what else I can to have as much of a complete collection as I can.

I'm a pretty well-rounded L&H fan, but I'm not aware of what is available overseas. What films that aren't available in the boxset are out there, and what are the best possible releases of these available? I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

2. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    Check around Blotto Online; a good a place as any for starters.

3. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

gotto agree with you John

Superb site

4. Matthew H

Matthew H Second Unit

Blotto is one of my favorite websites and I never even thought about looking there. Thanks, guys.

5. raymond tucker

raymond tucker Auditioning

The most complete yet compact set is the Dutch collection which compiles all of the silent shorts, sound shorts and Roach features (available from Basta Records website) although it does not include the existing Spanish language versions. Quality-wise the German editions from Kinowelt are the best in the world, and in many cases feature material absent from all other releases (For example the German version of Pardon Us has the standard release version, and an extended cut combining footage from the preview version and the Spanish version is included as a bonus) I don't understand why for the UK edition they felt the need to pad the set out by including colorized versions.