Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I watched a few shorts over the weekend. In all, they looked good enough.

Watched some of BRATS and all of TWICE TWO. I don't know if filmmakers didn't know how to do it during BRATS but at least in TWICE TWO the actors were superimposed on top of each other so that male Ollie/Stan were in the same frame as their female counterparts.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Disc 1, Berth Marks 1929

The option underneath Battle of the Century to be specific

I hope that it's just mine to be honest, the uproar for this issue would be outrageous ..

Okay, I looked real quick on my Panny UB820

There are two versions listed under SHORTS right beneath BATTLE OF THE CENTURY

I chose the first option. No problem going into it. The program starts with a text introduction explaining that this was a restored version of L&H's second sound film.

So, it worked fin on my end

atcolomb

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo
I watched a few shorts over the weekend. In all, they looked good enough.

Watched some of BRATS and all of TWICE TWO. I don't know if filmmakers didn't know how to do it during BRATS but at least in TWICE TWO the actors were superimposed on top of each other so that male Ollie/Stan were in the same frame as their female counterparts.
Liked Brats & Twice Too...very funny!!

Tino

Premium
Real Name
Valentino
TBH, the only Laurel and Hardy film I'm really familiar with is March Of The Wooden Soldiers (Babes In Toyland). It was and is a perennial holiday favorite. I may have seen bits and pieces of their work when I was very young but was much more of an Abbott and Costello fan (imo the worlds greatest comedy duo). So I’m looking forward to seeing these films and shorts probably for the first time.

Reed Grele

Patron
Real Name
Reed Grele
Watched the shorts and features of discs 1 and 2. Only problem so far was the Berth Marks audio sync issue. I can live with that.

Over the course of my life, I've only seen 4 or 5 of L&H films. "March of the Wooden Soldiers" (of course) and back in the late 1960's my local public library used to loan out 8mm films, so I projected a few of what they had to offer. I specifically recall "Two Tars" being hilarious!

I very rarely laugh out loud while watching "comedies", but what I've viewed so far caused quite a few minor chuckles and a few belly laughs!

If the rest of the discs provide just half as much enjoyment as the first 2, it will be money well spent.

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
While we appreciate the fans’ zeal, it is a shame the hard work of a lifetime of UCLA and many others was so diminished by this maelstrom of criticism which can only harm future efforts.
It begins and ends with the work, itself; therefore the professional reviewers and consumer postings should never had been scapegoated for expressing their subjective truths of what their eyes are seeing. In light of the fact that many were addressing aspects of a transfer that still remains possible to tweak and adjust; versus a limitation found within the actual elements; one may want to step back, reassess and take from their diagnostic, seasoned and collective cues.

Believe it or not, everyone is rooting for this Laurel & Hardy project to be a whopping success, along with the exhaustive and acknowledged efforts of the restorative team; which is and remains admirable.

Meanwhile, I shall continue to read the postings and reviews from HTF members who are still receiving their copies, before making my own final decision; as I already do own the “essential” collection and financial double-dipping must come with a slam-dunk reason to justify the upgrade.

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Just glad you finally got it! There really is a lot to love about the set, as well as the ton of extra material.
I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it!
So far, the first disc is fantastic! The only issue is the audio sync issues that permeate the BERTH MARKS 1936 reissue soundtrack, which for me is noticeable from slightly past the 12 minute mark, with it being resolved by 16:38, so less than 5 minutes. The original 1929 soundtrack, which has no audio sync issues, allows us to hear the Station Master's (Pat Harmon) lead-in warbling in the background, which was previously drowned out by the "Dance of the Cuckoos" orchestral theme music!

With the above caveat out of the way, SONS OF THE DESERT (1933) finally looks and sounds as it should, which had especially been lacking in all of its previous North American home video releases. No more popping in the UK Universal PAL Region 2 DVD, for this iconic classic, at least!

"Ain't That A Darb?" (Or: How previous SONS OF THE DESERT North American Market Home Video Releases felt to their consumers, but weep NO MORE!!!!):
screenshot023.jpg

THE BATTLE OF THE CENTURY (1927) Boxing sequence looks better than ever (or since it's original release, at least!) with it's original amber tinting restored!:
screenshot076.jpg

Part of THE BATTLE OF THE CENTURY (1927) long lost Reel 2 footage; the cop points to the Pie Fight still in progress!:
screenshot215.jpg

The point where the 1936 Reissue soundtrack for BERTH MARKS (1929) goes noticeably out of sync (But thankfully, NOT the original 1929 audio!).:
screenshot225.jpg

MORE TO COME!!!! :)

CHEERS! :)

Attachments

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I was looking for Lou Costello in Battle of the Century in a cameo before he was famous. Hes an extra in the film as a boxing extra
I find Louis Cristillo so much easier to spot on the "Battle Of the Century" Blu-ray version! At various times he can be spotted at Ringside, and also in the first and second rows. Lou was employing different bits of business even back in his Hollywood extra days! :)

CHEERS! :)

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PhishHead00