What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Laurel & Hardy – The Definitive Restorations arrives on Blu-ray from Kit Parker Films and MVD Visual with “restored” versions of two features and several of their two-reel shorts.

The Music Box (1932)

Released: 16 Apr 1932
Rated: Approved
Runtime: 29 min

Director: James Parrott
Genre: Comedy, Short

Cast: Stan Laurel, Oliver Hardy
Writer(s): H.M. Walker (dialogue)

Plot: Like the legendary Sisyphus, deliverymen Laurel and Hardy struggle to push a large crated piano up a seemingly insurmountable flight of stairs.

IMDB rating: 8.0
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information

Studio: Other
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution: 1080P/AVC

Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
Audio: English PCM...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Thank you for the more "fair and balanced" review,
Again, a subtle dig at RAH. As tho his review was “unfair and unbalanced.”

I hope this thread doesn’t degenerate into ugliness like the other one did.

Just got notice that my set shipped from DD. Looking forward to watching it.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Again, a subtle dig at RAH. As tho his review was “unfair and unbalanced.”

I hope this thread doesn’t degenerate into ugliness like the other one did.

Just got notice that my set shipped from DD. Looking forward to watching it.

Actually, I was doing my best to be nice. The marketing was horrific. You don’t specifically promise one thing, and deliver something of far lesser quality.

There’s no embarrassment in using the finest surviving materials, which this set has.

Last edited:

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I'm not going to allow this review thread to be sidetracked by what happened in that other thread. Any further posts will be deleted that continues down that path. I hate to thread ban people from a review thread.
What was the problem in the other thread? Everything i saw looked on topic

• Haha
Reactions: PMF

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I ordered my L&H Blu ray from DDD also, but they cancelled my order and suddenly it became out of stock. They said they werent sure when they would get more in after I messaged them, so I wound up ordering it from Amazon. Mine will arrive today hopefully. Id rather spend more and have my product in my hands than go through loops with DDD. I trust Amazon more than DDD.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I ordered my L&H Blu ray from DDD also, but they cancelled my order and suddenly it became out of stock. They said they werent sure when they would get more in after I messaged them, so I wound up ordering it from Amazon. Mine will arrive today hopefully. Id rather spend more and have my product in my hands than go through loops with DDD. I trust Amazon more than DDD.
I noticed the Blu-ray set is currently listed as being on Backorder at Deep Discount and wowHD! Canada based residents who want the Blu-ray probably now have to go through Amazon.com which is super expensive with our crummy rate of exchange, especially since Amazon's price point markup!

CHEERS! :)

EDIT: Upon further checking, while I saw that Movies Unlimited also lists the Blu-ray set as being on Backorder, Bullmoose.com does currently list the Blu-ray set as "In Stock!"

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I had the same thing happen but I reordered from DD as their price is currently ~$15 less than Amazon and they had a 15% coupon code at the time making the final total ~$42 after tax. I'll risk it with them and hope it's not cancelled again. If so... I can always pick it up somewhere else.

The cancellation was also my fault as I'd used a VCC for the purchase and failed to notice the temp charge had fallen off of my CC. That meant they'd hit the card again for the full amount rather than converting the temp charge. Because I'd not loaded the card with enough funds to cover that purchase should that happen the order was cancelled. My biggest issue with them is they give you *zero* chance to fix such issues since they hit the card at order time which, to them, fully validates the card.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Just for the record, I have now received my Blu-ray set from Amazon, and am so far very pleased with it. I’ve only gone through the first disc, but it blew me away!! The entire presentation — including the restorations, commentary tracks, and gallery presentations are just awesome to behold. (Remember — We’re talking about stuff dating back as far as 1927 here!!)

I just truly feel like I got my money’s worth on this first disc alone. It’s all gravy from here!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I don't know what went on in the other threads and if I am not allowed to offer an opinion on my own forum then go ahead and delete this.

I just watched THE MUSIC BOX and WAY OUT WEST

My big complaint is that while these films look better than they have before (and I owned them on 8mm), they have been overly scrubbed of grain. They look as if they were shot on digital. Mind you, they don't look horrific. They just don't look like film anymore.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't know what went on in the other threads and if I am not allowed to offer an opinion on my own forum then go ahead and delete this.

I just watched THE MUSIC BOX and WAY OUT WEST

My big complaint is that while these films look better than they have before (and I owned them on 8mm), they have been overly scrubbed of grain. They look as if they were shot on digital. Mind you, they don't look horrific. They just don't look like film anymore.
Posting opinions about a Blu-ray that's been reviewed isn't the problem and is what such threads are intended for, the problem in the other thread was making this a personal beef in which members are trading barbs at each other because they didn't like one's stated opinion.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Honestly, I'm fairly happy with my prior dvd set. If this set were dramatically better, I would probably get it. This doesn't seem to be worth it. Maybe someday Criterion will do a Sons of the Desert that is more than slightly better than the DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks