What's new

Laurel and Hardy Collection Vol 1 any info on this? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
$131 is not a bad price.....

Though I was getting excited for a minute cause
I thought the $ price was pretty close to the pound
price.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm. First I would like to know how to (if it's possible) make my current player "region free". I know this is a very technical forum, but I'm afraid I'm not very well versed in that kind of thing. :)

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
People have already posted two links to sites that tell you how to make your player region free. Try one of them.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Micheal, you hit the nail on the head. I belong to a L&H fan club and follow the discussion on the L&H newsgroup. It is very apparent that a large percentage of "die hard" L&H fans already own the complete canon from either the German, Dutch, or British releases because it had become obvious that nothing was happening in R1 with these.

Even people like myself who aren't into importing DVDs took the region free plunge specifically to buy L&H.

I did buy the initial Hallmark/Artisan disc (poor as it was) to show support for future releases. However I know this DVD got bad word of mouth for using 20+ year old video masters with artifical fadeouts for commercials, etc. which probably hurt sales also.

Joe Karlosi - go to the link EricSchulz provided, click on the "DVD hack" tab and simply type in the make and model of your player. If it is possible to convert it, chances are you'll find decent instructions on how to do it. You might also check out the "regional dvd" section of HTF for some good discussion and information. Good luck.

Steve

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Steve, studios are certainly worried about what we're buying overseas. It looks like they'd step up their releases here to keep dollars in America but in the case of L&H, it seems Lions Gate didn't realize the demand of these. I'm sure people would have spent $250 in America but now there really isn't a point for LG to release them here.

This is just one of many examples of why people should be region free.

JOE---Go to that nerdout site and look up your player. If it's region free you can find out there.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Just ordered the set from Amazon UK, came to 75.39 GBP including shipping. That should come out to about $141. Couldn't resist.

Cheers

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Mine arrived today; it's beautifully packaged (despite their many other failings, it's one thing Universal does know how to do) and presented and a quick look at some of the transfers tells me you won't regret it :emoji_thumbsup:

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Picked up a Cyberhome DVD300 on the way home from work from BestBuy for $40. Took all of 5 minutes (including unpacking it) to make it region free. I'll still use my Panasonic RP91 for region 1 discs, but I now have the freedom to pick up stuff that's not published here...

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
For those unfamiliar with L&H, Hallmark has finally consented to allow Turner Classic Movies to run their films. There's an all day marathon on April 1st.

Hopefully interesst from these showings will spur renewed fan interest which in turn will cause those people who don't want to take the region free plunge to request quality R1 releases.

The April TCM schedule can be found here.

Steve

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
Yes, but are the versions that TCM is broadcasting from 20-year-old video masters with new crappy music and artificial fades inserted?

Evan Case

Screenwriter
Looking further down the month, there are some other big comedians getting days as well, including (of course) Chaplin, Keaton, Lloyd, Abbott & Costello, Marx Bros., but also Wheeler and Woolsey, Martin & Lewis, The Ritz Bros. and, dare my eyes deceive me, Charley Chase!!!! Charley Chase!!!! Unbelievably awesome if you enjoy Hal Roach or classic comedy (or movies at all).

Evan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks