Laurel and Hardy Collection Vol 1 any info on this?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Steve_Smith, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Steve_Smith

Steve_Smith Stunt Coordinator

I just saw over at Amazon that on Feb 15th "Laurel and Hardy Collection Vol 1" is scheduled to be released by Music Video Distribution. According to the listing there is 5 shorts....

1)The Home Wrecker
    2)The Four Wheeled Terror
    3)Roughest Africa
    4)Crazy to Act
    5)The Paper Hanger's Helper

Does anyone know if these are PD shorts since I thought Hallmark held the rights to L&H. It does say Reg 1 and is under $15.

2. ChrisPearson

ChrisPearson Second Unit

Sorry, Steve, these are PD silent solo films.

The Home Wrecker aka Smithy is a silent Stan Laurel, The Four-Wheeled Terror is a Larry Semon silent with Hardy, Roughest Africa is a silent Stan Laurel, Crazy to Act is a silent featuring Hardy, and The Paper Hanger's Helper aka Stick Around is a silent featuring Hardy.

Criminally, Hallmark are still sitting on the L&H films they own and at one point tried to destroy. The R2 discs are still available, though.

3. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Hallmark never "tried to destroy" the Laurel and Hardy elements. That's a ridiculous internet rumor!

4. ChrisPearson

ChrisPearson Second Unit

5. Steve_Smith

Steve_Smith Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info Chris [​IMG] Yeah, I had a nagging feeling that this might be the case with this release. [​IMG]

I've been on the R2 fence *only because of price* for many months, wishing of a R1 turn-around with Hallmark. I do have the 21-DVD sitting in the Amazon shopping cart ready to go the day I'm able to get the money for it LOL!!! I've got the Multi-reg DVD player, which is always the first step [​IMG]

6. ChrisPearson

ChrisPearson Second Unit

Steve, you might want to get that set now that it's less than half price at amazon.co.uk -- £84.97 to be precise. Still a big outlay, I agree, especially with current US/UK exchange rates, but it is 21 discs.

amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001K2KE8/qid=1104947813/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_11_1/026-4495230-7291655

7. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Steve Smith, I have that 21 disc set and it is worth every penny.

Hallmark is never going to do proper L&H releases. Steve Beeks, an executive with their home video division, actually told a well known L&H fan that he thinks the films are poor and that black and white films don't sell anyway unless John Wayne is in them.

The story about Hallmark wanting to dump the elements came from a film archivist (Stan Taffel). I have no reason to believe he made that up although I truly hope it isn't true. In any event, the elements were eventually turned over to UCLA. UCLA doesn't have the funds to restore them, but at least they're safe.

What's ironic about this is that TCM has attempted many times to license these films for showing, but Hallmark has set a very high price (some reports indicate $1 million) essentially keeping these off the air. The TCM Programmer has publically confirmed that Hallmark is asking for more than what TCM is able to pay.

For more info on these topics, you can check out the alt.comedy.laurel-hardy newsgroup.

Steve

8. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I still think Laurel & Hardy fans should unite and make a visit to Hallmark's headquarters and "re-create" the antics of Big Business for them. [​IMG]

9. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    Looks like Artisan (Hallmark) is issuing their 2nd DVD on Mar 15th. Way Out West , Blockheads , and Chickens Come Home .

It's available for pre-order on Amazon and Empire. Hope they did a better job on this disc than on Volume 1.

10. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

I never got a region free player because there wasn't anything I absolutely HAD to have in R2 that was not eventually available in R1. However, after sitting on the fence for years, I'm tempted by the 21 Disc L&H set.

Would someone please tell me the price (in US dollars) and all of the contents? Also, are these discs that play well without any weird or jerky character movements? Some of the non-R1 DVDs I've watched on others' region free players look strange.

Thanks!

11. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    Joe, you'll find more info on the set in this thread.

12. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

Thanks, John. I just read the whole thread and don't know what to do! I just hate dealing with overseas orders and money and so forth. Besides, I'd have to get the region free player first.

Now there's this report of another Hallmark VOL. 2 - which is really little consolation, compared to the UK box set!

13. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Joe,

I ordered the 21 DVD set from Amazon.uk when it was first released. Very painless and virtually identical to ordering from the US Amazon.

You'll actually pay less than the posted price on Amazon.uk because the 17% VAT (Value Added Tax) is not charged on orders sent to the USA.

As for how much it will cost in US Dollars, your best bet is to go to a currency converter site (do a google search) and it will figure it out for you based on current exchange rates.

You may have to alert your credit card company that a foreign transaction is coming. They may charge a small fee for processing it.

Steve

14. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    Where do I get a region-free player without having to do surgery on it?

Thanks.

15. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

Check out the link here . It took a couple clicks on my remote to set my $40 Philips DVD player up, and this site will also let you know if you have a built-in PAL to NTSC converter, which mine did. Mine plays R2 DVDs beautifully!

16. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Did a search and found it HERE

Can someone translate the pound price
    into American dollar?

I am interested in buying this set.

17. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott

Check out THIS site, which has nearly every region free player listed along with their codes.

Pretty much any $40 player you see at Wal-Mart, Target, K Mart or BB feature this region free option. I've owned several and not one of them have died on me. I've had my Daewoo ($60) for three years now. I bought a $20 one at K-Mart and it has worked like a charm the past two years. My first model was an Apex and that too lasted three years.

I'd also be interested in the American dollar of that set. I just paid my good ol' credit card bill and have been meaning to pick this set up.

And for the record, when Artisan released Vol. 1 the press release stated that Vol. 2 and 3 would follow in 2004. When I asked about the titles I was told the first set didn't sell well enough and they were looking at other options.

The fact they weren't released could mean a couple things. Perhaps they won't be coming out for a few more years. Perhaps these R2 boxsets had an impact and now Lions Gate is going to go back and make their own box. Or, perhaps LG saw that fans were buying the R2 so they don't feel the need to release them here.

18. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John

I use www.xe.com ; an excellent currency convetor.

19. ArthurMy

ArthurMy Supporting Actor

It's just under double, if my Brit friend is telling me correctly. So, if it's eighty-four pounds just assume it's going to be in the neighborhood of $160, which is, obviously, a bargain. I bought it about six months ago and paid almost a hundred more, and I was quite happy with the set. If you love Laurel and Hardy I don't really know what there is to think about. The box it comes in is almost worth the price. And, as others have pointed out, you can region-free almost any player you own, or you can just get a new player from hkflix.com - who have really good models that actually do what their supposed to do (some cheap region-free players do not do anamorphic correctly).

20. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    As stated previously, you will not be charged British VAT*, so it works out at £70.10, which converted to USD is $131.14. Plus postage of course.

*(Amazon says: Goods sold by Amazon.co.uk that are dispatched to addresses outside of the European Union are generally not subject to EU VAT. When ordering goods from Amazon.co.uk for delivery overseas, you may be subject to import duties and taxes that are levied once the package reaches your country. Any additional charges for customs clearance must be borne by you; we have no control over these charges and cannot predict what they may be. Customs policies vary widely from country to country, so you should contact your local customs office for further information. Additionally, please note that when ordering from Amazon.co.uk, you are considered the importer of record and must comply with all laws and regulations of the country in which you are receiving the goods.