What's new

Laurel And Hardy - 21 Disc Box Set ! (1 Viewer)

Paul Clifford

Auditioning
bastamusic.com now have the listing for the 4 DVD Benelux Silents set, and it is missing some bits from the UK set, principally Call of the Cuckoo and 45 Minutes from Hollywood. These are both essentially early pre-teaming guest appearances, but nonetheless the UK set has them. Also missing are the more obvious Lucky Dog, Now I'll Tell One (currently misplaced) and Hats Off (again, misplaced but the UK set has a stills gallery).

It's worth noting also that the chronological approach that was so appealing about the Talkies set has gone out of the window.

Thanks for your reply.
I have tried to buy from BOL.com who are quite a bit cheaper than Basta, but twice they have cancelled my order. Everything is in Dutch which makes it difficult, but I asked them to reply in English. They said the first order was cancelled (they didn't know why) and asked me to re-order. I did, but then this was also cancelled. I sent them another email, but they then replied in Dutch.I think it was an auntomatically generated standard reply. It seems to me that the collections aren't for export to the UK. I could try Basta, but firstly they are more expensive than BOL and secondly it does say on their site 'for Beneleux customers only.'
I really want the Dutch collections rather than the UK one, as I prefer the chronological approach and I also want all the talking films but am not bothered about the silents.
Could it be because they include some features which aren't in the UK set that they aren't allowed to sell them in the UK? Copywright issues maybe?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
David,

If you send the message to me (use PM), I'll translate it for you.

To me, the website of Bol.com looks a lot like the one of BastaMusic, perhaps they are related. Indeed BastaMusic states that the L&R DVD's are for Benelux countries only, but I wonder if that's legal inside the EC.

They also say that a Box Set cover for all 20 DVD's + 1 extra's DVD will be available "in the Fall" (to be received by using a coupon on the bought DVD sets for anyone buying all DVD's.
I'm not sure, but I'm considering waiting for that myself (and not use the coupons).

Cees

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
David,

You have PM (back).

The system seems to have hiccoughs now and then, so I'm not sure you got my second message too (apologizing for wrongly addressing you in the first one :) ).

Looks like your order came through there anyway!

Cees

Hi Cees,

Thanks for the translation, but I still think it has been cancelled. I have sent you one of their earlier messages.
Hope you can oblige once more.
Thanks for your help.

Dave

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
David,

Yes, for mysterious reasons is says it cancelled your item from the order "on your request". Must be an error, even if it's just the message that is wrong.

I translated it for you anyway, see latest PM.

Cees

Cancelled again! I haven't taken any action and they've cancelled my order again. It would appear you can't buy these collections in the UK.

The mystery has been solved! BOL responded to me email saying that because of the number of orders lost in the post they no longer ship DVD's to foreign countries any more.
I suppose I could try Basta, but they are quite expensive and it does say on their site that the Laurel and Hardy sets are for Beneluex customers only.
I have been looking at the UK collection in the shops and must admit I am becoming more attracted to it. It seems better presented than the Dutch sets with liner notes and photos. I did want the complete sound features, but I think maybe I'm not missing much with the four extra films in the Dutch collection. I'm not that bothered about Fra Diavlo or Babes In Toyland, so that leaves Flying Deuces and Bonnie Scotland. I saw Flying Deuces for the first time a few years ago and I can't say it was the memorable. That leaves Bonnie Scotland which I haven't seen since I was a child - I'm now in my forties - so can't remember much about it, apart from I think some business with Ollie's pants. Are any of these films that worthwhile? I wouldn't think they're amongst L & H's best.
Finally, is there anywhere even cheaper than Amazon for the UK collection? They are an amazing £50 cheaper than most sellers!

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
David, I got my set from Amazon UK; it was the lowest I could find (I live in the US). Haven't been disappointed since. In my opinion, this is a first rate package marred only by the superfluous colorized versions which increased the disc count (and the price) unnecessarily.

The missing features (Bonnie Scotland, Fra Diavolo, et al) are rumored to be coming in R1 from Warner Brothers. Turner Classic Movies ran Fra Diavolo last week and although I couldn't watch it, I read in the L&H newsgroup that it appeared to be a restored print and improved over what was on the laserdisc version.

Steve

Thanks for your reply. I'm in the UK so would have no problem with Amazon UK. They are very quick and efficient. In fact I've just ordered something else from them tonight!
I assume you have a multi region DVD player to play the UK collection?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Recently that seems true, sadly. More of the DVD's that are sent to me lately from abroad seem to get "lost".
Frankly: I used those double quotes because I don't think it's accidently all the time, I strongly believe many are stolen.

Sad world.

Cees

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I just have one question...

I really want to pick up the UK L&H 21-disc megaset, but is it worth selling off all my current beloved Artisan discs?

I've been collecting every single volume religiously and they look so great lined up on my shelf display!

The complete contents are as follows, I just want to verify if they'd be worth selling if I'm to pick up the UK set and if I'd be losing any shorts in doing so:

Vol. 1:

- Big Business

- Do Detectives Think?

- Call of the Cuckoo

- The Finishing Touch

- On the Front Page

- Hustling for Health

Vol. 2:

- Double Whoopee

- Early to Bed

- Angora Love

- Sugar Daddies

- Roughest Africa

- Oranges & Lemons

Vol. 3:

- Liberty

- We Faw Down

- A Lucky Dog

- Love 'Em and Weep

- Along Came Auntie

- Bromo and Juliet

Vol. 4:

- They Go Boom!

- Their Purple Moment

- Bacon Grabbers

- Unaccustomed As We Are

- Should Sailors Marry?

- On the Wrong Trek

Vol. 5:

- Wrong Again

- Habeas Corpus

- Duck Soup

- Leave 'Em Laughing

- Fluttering Hearts

- Kilts

Vol. 6:

- That's My Wife

- Flying Elephants

- Putting Pants on Philip

- 45 Minutes From Hollywood

- Crazy Like a Fox

- The Soilers

Vol. 7:

- Unaccustomed As We Are

- Should Married Men Go Home

- Double Whoopee

- With Love and Hisses

- Sailors Beware

- Hal Roach All Star Comedy

- Mixed Nuts

Vol. 8:

- Two Tars

- The Second Hundred Years

- Slipping Wives

- From Soup to Nuts

- Scorching Sands

- Should Tall Men Marry?

Vol. 9:

- You're Darn Tootin'

- Why Girls Love Sailors

- Battle of the Century

- Wandering Papas

- Thundering Fleas

- Mum's the Word

L&H and Friends:

- Be Big!

- Our Gang Follies of 1938

- School's Out

- Bear Shooters

- The Stolen Jools

- Whispering Whoopee

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Also, I see no listings for the following films on the UK set, can anyone verify if they are in fact present...

- March of the Wooden Soldiers

- The Flying Deuces

- Utopia

- Lucky Dog

- This is Your Life

Paul Clifford

Auditioning
No, none of those five are on the UK 21 disc set, along with a lot of others on your list Marco. Here for you (and anyone else!) is a complete A-Z (note 'The' titles are under T) of what is on the UK set (deep breath)...

A CHUMP AT OXFORD
ALONG CAME AUNTIE – Ollie solo
ANGORA LOVE
ANOTHER FINE MESS
ANY OLD PORT!
BACON GRABBERS
BE BIG
BEAU HUNKS
BELOW ZERO
BERTH MARKS
BIG BUSINESS
BLOCK-HEADS
BLOTTO
BRATS
BRATS – original version
BUSY BODIES
CALL OF THE CUCKOO
CHICKENS COME HOME
COME CLEAN
COUNTY HOSPITAL
DIRTY WORK
DO DETECTIVES THINK?
DOUBLE WHOOPEE
DUCK SOUP
EARLY TO BED
FLUTTERING HEARTS – Charley Chase/Ollie
FLYING ELEPHANTS
FORTY-FIVE MINUTES FROM HOLLYWOOD
FROM SOUP TO NUTS
GOING BYE-BYE!
HABEAS CORPUS
HATS OFF – stills gallery
HELPMATES
HINTER SCHLOSS UND RIEGEL – Pardon Us German edition- clips
HOG WILD
LA VIDA NOCTURNA
LADRONES
LAUGHING GRAVY – 2-reel
LAUGHING GRAVY – 3-reel
LAUREL & HARDY – A TRIBUTE TO THE BOYS
LEAVE ‘EM LAUGHING
LES CAROTTIERS
LIBERTY
LOS CALAVERAS
LOVE ‘EM AND WEEP
ME AND MY PAL
MEN O’WAR
NIGHT OWLS
NOCHE DE DUENDES
OLIVER THE EIGHTH
ON THE LOOSE - cameo
ON THE WRONG TREK - cameo
ONE GOOD TURN
OUR RELATIONS
OUR WIFE
PACK UP YOUR TROUBLES
PARDON US –extended version
PERFECT DAY
POLITIQUERIAS
PRUDENCE – Max Davidson, written by Stan
PUTTING PANTS ON PHILIP
SAILORS, BEWARE!
SAPS AT SEA
SCRAM!
SHOULD MARRIED MEN GO HOME?
SLIPPING WIVES
SONS OF THE DESERT
SUGAR DADDIES
SWISS MISS
THAT’S MY WIFE
THE BATTLE OF THE CENTURY
THE BOHEMIAN GIRL
THE CHIMP
THE FINISHING TOUCH
THE FIXER-UPPERS
THE HOOSE-GOW
THE LAUREL-HARDY MURDER CASE
THE LIVE GHOST
THE MIDNIGHT PATROL
THE MUSIC BOX
THE SECOND HUNDRED YEARS
THEIR FIRST MISTAKE
THEIR PURPLE MOMENT
THEM THAR HILLS
THEY GO BOOM!
THICKER THAN WATER
THUNDERING FLEAS – Ollie solo
TIEMBLA Y TITUBEA
TIT FOR TAT
TOWED IN A HOLE
TWICE TWO
TWO TARS
UNACCUSTOMED AS WE ARE
WAY OUT WEST
WE FAW DOWN
WHY GIRLS LOVE SAILORS
WITH LOVE AND HISSES
WRONG AGAIN
YOU’RE DARN TOOTIN’

Hope that helps...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks