Laundry Questions for Europeans (and others too)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Denward, May 24, 2002.

1. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

There was an article in the Wall Street Journal last week about the inordinate amount of time Americans spend doing laundry ineffectively. There was a statement in there that only Americans wash everything after one wearing, but that Europeans didn't. The article also opined that Europeans were the most best launderers in the world because they didn't overwash their clothes and they use high efficiency, smaller appliances made necessary by smaller homes.

So how often do you wear something (assuming no profuse perspiration) before you wash it? Here are my answers.

Underwear: 1
    Dress socks: 2
    Shirts: 1
    Pants: about 5
    Outerwear: about every 6 months or so

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Erm, is this a response to that spate of "why-do-you-Americans [fill in blank]" threads from last week? Be honest.

3. andrew markworthy

Anything that's been next to my skin gets worn once before washing (unless it's a shirt I've only worn for a couple of hours). I don't think other Brits are all that different.

4. Rain

Rain Producer

Socks and underwear only once.

Pants and shirts are on a case by case basis.

I make a point of sweating as little as possible.

5. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

No, I wasn't thinking about those threads. There really was a WSJ article last week and my laundry chores last night just reminded me of it.

6. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

It depends on the climate. I don't sweat as much since moving to a cooler, northern area with an average temp of 60 degrees. But my years at the Mexican border demanded much more laundering. Those who wore shirt more than once, in average temperatures of 90 degrees, smelled like......well, really smelled.

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Just checking, Denward. Thanks! Now continue. Let's just don't make generalizations about people/countries, is all.

8. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I'll wear shirts and pants more than once before washing, but not for 2 days straight. I wash boxers after each wearing. I don't usually wear socks, so that doesn't count for me.