What's new

Latin Jazz anyone??? Pete Escovedo Live (1 Viewer)

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Prior to getting XM Radio, I didn't know that Latin Jazz existed beyond what Carlos Santana had done to fuse it with various other styles. XM Radio's Luna channel has changed all that, and I am really liking what I am hearing.

The other day, they played a cut from Pete Escovedo that really grabbed me, so much so that I tracked down the CD.

The title of the disc is Pete Escovedo Live, and its killer. I would wager that even if someone didn't really like Latin Jazz, that they would like this disc.

This is so well recorded that I will make you question the need for SACD and DVD-A. Seriously. I have been spinning a lot of hi-rez stuff lately, and I kid you not. Its demo quality.

Horns, latin percussion, bass, drums.....everything just comes to life in the mix. You can't listen to this without wanting to get up and dance around the room like an idiot.

OK, enough said. I know zip, squat, nada about Latin Jazz. Someone that knows the genre is probably about to chime in and tell me that Pete Escovedo is to Latin Jazz what The Partridge Family is to Rock. But I don't think so. This is a superb performance, brilliantly captured on disc.

Its going to be in heavy rotation at Casa Briano for some time to come. Side note: Pete Escovedo is Sheila E's dad. Now I know where she gets her rhythm chops.

BGL

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I'm there! I like all musica from south of the border Brian. I like Pete and the Cuban sound. I wouldn't say he's the biggest. He's well respected for sure. Look for Paquito D'Rivera and The Conga Kings on Chesky SA-CD. Others you might scope out would include, Beuna Vista Social Club, Poncho Sanchez, Tito Puente, and Jaco Pastorius. You could try some of Gloria Estefan's lenguaje de Espanol albums.

My favourite sound is the sound of Rio. Tiempo por Samba! Antonio Carlos Jobim, Cal Tjader, Manfredo Fest, Jao Gilberto, Emir Deodato, Sergio Mendes, Ursala 2000, Ana Caram, Jose Neto, Tania Maria, Gilberto Gil, Wanda Sa, Astrud Gilberto and her daughter Bebel who seems to have taken her place in 2-day's scene. Una Nota Samba es mui, mui cultura! Jobim is the daddy of it all...

Have you ever tried CD Baby? They have a new artist that is smoldering, Rebekah Del Rio. I'm not sure where she's from but she mixes Espanol and English so beautifully. I highly recommend her album ALL MY LIFE (TODA MI VIDA). Best wishes, recuerdos mi compadre! :)

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
WOW Rachael, Thanks for all that!

As usual the HTF and its membership conspirers to drain my bank account and keep my credit card for getting cold.

I have heard a cut by the Conga Kings on the Chesky Ultimate DVD, and the BVSC seems to get mentioned in many equipment reviews. I had no idea that they were Latin Jazz. Need to check them out, along with the rest of your suggestions.

BGL

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Di nada Brian! You may not get too many more responses to this thread. The board for the most part likes stoned music, err, rock music. I proably have the most varied tastes in these parts...? I like rock but hardly worship it like so many folks do.

If you want some specific recommendations of Brazilian samba say so. I'll offer you some of the well known ones and some that are fairly obscure in the rockin', popin', hopin' U.S.A. Samba and bossa nova are my biggest listening intrest. Otra vez mi amigo!:)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
This is a style of music that is woefully underreprented in my collection and listening rotation, unfortunately, though I do love it so.

My favorite stuff is what Dizzy Gillespie did back in the day, pretty much bringing it into the mainstream.

Pancho Sanchez is the man- real soul and style, and lots of fun live.

Since I like my Latin Jazz to lean more on the jazz, I have to throw in a reference to Cal Tjader, too.

Sathyan

Second Unit
In this category, the 5 discs I listen to most are:

1. Ana Caram Blue Bossa (SACD)
2. Mongo Santamaria Afro Blue (CD)
3. Cubanismo Malembe (CD)
4. Ana Caram Rio After Dark (SACD)
5. Tito Puente Golden Latin Jazz All Stars: In Session (CD)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Mike, I think you're mixed up about Dizzy? I think you've mixed him up with Stan Getz of Getz & Gilberto fame, si senor? Charlie Byrd was another U.S. jazz musican who was somewhat pivotal at introducing the U.S.A. to samba. Best wishes!:)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
No, I think you're crossing Bossa Nova with other Latin Jazz.

Bossa is just one subset of Latin jazz, based on a particular Brazilian rhythm. Stan Getz helped make it a brief and popular trend with his collaborations with Gilberto in the late 50s / early 60s.

Dizzy Gillespie discovered Latin rhythms from Cuban musicians, specifically that conga player Chano Pozo. Their big band (we're talkin' the late 40s) was what woke the states up to the music below Florida.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Oh! I didn't know he was involved in musica de Cuba. I saw him play once a great many years ago. I don't remember the show so well anymore. I don't recall any Cuban influences. I did not know. I know bossa nova and samba much better. Recuerdos mi amigo!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks