Latest TV Ratings Available if you need a top performer

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Arthur S, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

I just got the March issue of Consumer Reports. They tested LCD, DLP, LCOS, Plasma, CRT direct view and CRT-RPTV. Anyone who wants to know the top performers, let me know what size and type and I will post the results.

Artie

2. brent*t

brent*t Auditioning

Arthur, how did the Mitsubish WD 52725(DLP)stack up in the report? Thanks in advance

3. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfer
    No Mitsu's reviewed...

I for one can tell you the 52725 looks awesome! My parents just go one last week and hooked it up via a Cablecard and the pictures (even basic channels) look great.

4. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Alf is correct. No Mitsu DLP tested. Alf also has first hand experience via his parents.
    If I am not mistaken, Parker Clack has a Mitsu 62 inch DLP. Model 62725, and likes it quite a bit.

Artie

5. Sidney

Sidney Stunt Coordinator

I have a 52725.. I think I'm sitting too close to it so I'm not happy with the image with regular satelite... I have to do more tests before I decide what to do with it. I haven't cal the tv yet (DVD player & TV are not talk correctly, DVD player problem)

6. EricSm

EricSm Stunt Coordinator

Anything on the Toshiba Dlps? I specifically have the 46HM84, but any would do.

Thanks

7. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

Actually be curious to hear which is the top rated TV in the 44" to 53" category.

thanks!

8. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Artie, under the "Reliability Survey" section, in 32", 4:3 analog tube sets, I think Sharp was the most reliable, then what was the order on down? I saw the issue at the library, but I can't remember. Also, what about the 36", 4:3 analog tube sets? Thanks

9. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

EricSm

They only tested one Toshiba DLP, model 52MH84 @$3,000. It scored lower than Samsung HL-P5085W @$4,000, and Samsung HL-P5685W @$4,600. The Samsungs scored very good on DVD compared to only good on DVD for the Toshiba.

Rolando

The 2 Samsungs mentioned above are the top performers in the DLP,LCD,LCOS group and Sony KP-51WS520 is the top performer in CRT RPTV.

Jim

They did not separate out analog from HD. Their reliability ratings are for CRT HD and analog.

32 inch CRT HD and analog:

Sharp
    Sanyo
    JVC
    Toshiba
    Sony
    Panasonic
    Philips
    Zenith
    RCA

Note that there is NO meaningful difference among the top 5 and barely any meaningful difference with Panasonic and Philips.

34 to 36 inch HD and analog:

Toshiba
    JVC
    Sony
    Panasonic
    Philips
    RCA

There is no meaningful difference among the top 4.

Artie

10. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

Thanks for the input.

how did the Toshiba 51HFX84 do?

thanks again in advance!

11. Ricardo E Garcia

Arthur, how about the top 65" (or largest reviewed) CRT RPTV?

Thanks!

12. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Rolando

I am not aware of a Toshiba 51HFX84. Are you sure of the model number? What kind of TV is it CRT RPTV? or DLP?

Ricardo

The largest RPTV they tested was 57 inch. The top performer (both in 57 inch and 51 inch) in CRT RPTV was Sony. KP-57WS520 @$2,000, and KP-51WS520 @$1700.

Artie

13. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

I'm sure they had all these sets ISF calibrated before reviewing them right? [​IMG]

I wonder if they even made a quick trip through the THX Optimizer... [​IMG]

14. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

Sorry, it's Toshiba 51HX84. Got confused with their HFX series which is direct view.

the Toshiba 51HX84 is a CRT RPTV. Part of their Cinema series. they also have a 51H84 which is also 51" CRT RPTV but the HX is supposed to be superior.

thanks!

15. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfer

But ya see, 99% of the TV buying public doesn't even know what ISF is let alone would they fathom spending another $300 on such a "tweak" if they did know.

Groups like this (HTF etc) are overally anal in their tweaking of pretty much every HT gadget...that's not going to be the case with all the other "normal" shoppers who are buying these TV's like crazy.

So no I doubt CR even cares about ISF when they test because they know the buying public doesn't care, and never will.

16. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Which is why CR is essentially useless for videophiles like many of us. From what I heard about them, they don't even use a basic calibration disc such as Avia or DVE and just fiddle with the basic settings to what they "think" looks "good." (End of story as far as I'm concerned.) I may look at CR for toasters and vacuums, but not for audio and video.

17. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfer

Again, the GENERAL public has NO knowledge of these discs nor would they care or spend the money. They will do exactly what you said..dial it up so that it looks good to THEM.

CR does a fine job of testing for 99% of the public... it's tweakers that live around HTF and other hardcore HT websites that find that kind of "basic" testing to be too below them to accept.

18. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Rolando

They did not test the Toshiba 51HX84. The closest to that was the basic 51H84. Surprisingly, it rated lowest in performance with HD and DVD. Much worse than top rated Sony KP-51WS520.

As far as their test methods, they do not discuss them. If I remember correctly, they compare the TVs they test to professional studio monitors. Who knows, maybe the reason Sony comes out on top just about across the board is because they use Sony professional studio monitors[​IMG]

With no other professional testing organization out there that does not accept advertising, this is as unbiased as it gets. Look at it this way: these ratings are a place to start.

Artie

19. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

It's been a few years since I read it, but I remember their "calibration" was to set the brightness and contrast to the maximum before doing their ratings. Their justification was that this is what the general public has their TVs set at.

20. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    I'm a CR subscriber and find it good for lots of different products, but I agree that you have to take what they say about TVs with a large grain of salt. They are definitely not geared towards the videophile or typical HTF member.

If they wanted to do a big service to their readers they would educate them a little about basic calibration. At least encourage them to set the contrast and brightness controls correctly. Not doing that makes comparisons between sets virtually meaningless.