latest rumor Travolta, Fraser, or MacLachlan as Superman?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by oscar_merkx, Aug 25, 2002.

1. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

http://filmforce.ign.com/superman/ar.../368800p1.html
    Jeffrey Wells' column Hollywood Confidential debuted at its new home, Kevin Smith's MoviePoopShoot.com, with a doozy of a report about Miramax's Truth, Justice, and the American Way. That project is about the life and mysterious death of actor George Reeves, best known for portraying the title role in the 1950s TV classic, Adventures of Superman. The roughly $20 million dollar indie pic will be produced and directed by Mark and Michael Polish (Twin Falls, Idaho) from an original screenplay by Paul Bernbaum. Filming could begin this December or January. (An interview with Bernbaum about the film can be found here.)
    Variety reported last year that "Bernbaum's script details both the botched investigation into Reeves' mysterious 1959 death in Hollywood as well as, through flashbacks, the actor's complex relationship with the iconic role that propelled him to stardom." While Reeves' death was officially ruled a suicide by gunshot, that hasn't stopped many, including Reeves' own agent Arthur Weissman, to speculate that the thesp was murdered as a result of his womanizing ways. (Go read Bill Kelly's "Who Killed Superman?" for an insightful overview of the case.)
    The focus of Wells' column, though, is on the behind-the-scenes casting brouhaha over who should portray Reeves. Miramax is keen on John Travolta for the role (and he's apparently entertaining the idea) whereas the filmmakers want Twin Peaks' Kyle MacLachlan. MacLachlan just worked with the Polish brothers on their upcoming film, Northfolk. The studio, however, is reportedly less than enthusiastic about MacLachlan as he's not considered a bankable star. A counter-argument to that is that Reeves' won't be the film's main character (he's primarily seen in flashback) and that the cast already includes some "name" actors.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    There is no way I could see John Travolta as George Reeves imo where as Fraser could actually pull it off. I am not too sure about MacLachlan either.

2. Kristian

Kristian Supporting Actor

I agree with Jeffrey Wells that Kyle MacLachlan would be great as George Reeves. John Travolta is completely wrong for the part, IMHO.

3. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I can totally see Kyle MacLachlan as Superman and Clark Kent and George Reeves. He would be perfect.

4. KyleK

KyleK Second Unit

Well, John Travolta and Brendan Fraser aren't exactly bankable stars either. See Battlefield Earth, Monkeybone.
    I agree that MacLachlan would be perfect. He's one of my favorite actors.

5. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

6. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

What little "Bank" Travolta had is long gone. He lucked out, got Pulp Fiction and went right back to choosing bad films (and making a boatload of money).

Brendan Fraser is interesting. He does do some cornball stuff but he is also pretty decent in the serious roles he takes on.

As for Kyle Maclachlan, it's a toss-up. Could be the kind of role that gets him some well deserved attention.

Anyways, the idea itself seems solid.

Bruce

7. JoSAN

JoSAN Second Unit

8. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

I think Brendan Fraser would have been a much better choice.

9. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

the only problem i would have with Affleck is that he is way too young.
    Reeves was considerably older when the show went off the air.

i would have gone with James Brolin or Chad Everett, although both of those may be about 10 years too old now.

i don't get the Kyle M responses.
    i don't see any resemblence to him and Reeves at all.
    to me thats like having Anothony Hopkins playing Richard Nixon

10. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

Considering that Kyle MacLachlan did a screen test for the part, he did an extremely convincing job as George Reeves. The fact that he's not an A-list star would help the film's production budget and give the film a much better quality, given that the script is handled very well. Also, consider that MacLachlan is in his 40's, which is on target with George Reeves' age when he filmed AOS during the 50's, so he's in the right age frame.

Considering that the above-listed latest report debuted on Smith's web site, however, further cinches it that it's all "poop", putting it mildly.

11. Ocean Phoenix

Ocean Phoenix Supporting Actor

12. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    Ben Affleck?? Huh? We need an actor not someone who acts with his eyebrows.

13. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I thought Keanu Reeves had this part locked