Latest Pet Peeve: 2 Hr+ Waits at Restaurants!!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Chuck C, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Tonight, we tried going to this new place in town called The Cheesecake Factory. The place looks like a palace. However, there was no parking and the crowd was enormous. The line just to get our name down was about 25 people deep. I asked one family how long they were waiting, and with frustrated looks on their faces, they said, ‘it’s been about an hour now.’ We took off and made a quick reservation at the tried-and-true Beni-hana (formerly the Samurai), and we were seated within 20 minutes of our arrival.

I had a similar experience with Bahama Breeze…another one of those “sensational” restaurants that are quickly reaching into the American pocket.

Solution: take reservations people!! Friday’s, Olive Garden, Bob Evans….if it’s busy, why wait! You’d starve by the time you were seated!

2. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

very good place =)....delicious cheese cakes....

3. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Glad you didn't wait an hour. The place is terribly overrated.

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Great cheesecakes indeed, the best I've had though is at the Carnegie Stage Deli and Tavern on The Green in nyc ($13.50 for the latter!).

5. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

it seems no one takes reservations these days.
    romano's macaroni grill (better than the OG IMO) is always 45 minutes to an hour here [​IMG]

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

This is why I rarely eat out in a "fancier" eating establishment anymore. I treat food as fuel for my body, and when my body says it's empty, I'll be damned if someone is going to tell me it's going to be another 1-2 hours before I can feed it.

7. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Well we take a slightly different approach. There's a restaurant we like for lunch that gets very crowded and a different one for dinner. When we decide to eat there, we show up no later than 11:30 for lunch, and around 5:00 for dinner. No wait, and I like to eat early anyway.

8. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    I think that is their plan. Make people wait to be seated,so that you feel special when the time finally comes. Then, feed them oversized portions, and make them feel really special. Then, give them an oversized bill, and everyone is happy.

I won't wait more than 30 minutes for a restraunt.

9. Dave Gorman

Dave Gorman Supporting Actor

Ditto here. Like George, if I'm going to eat out, I do it at off-peak times, regardless of the restaurant.

10. Tom_Mack

Tom_Mack Stunt Coordinator

The Cheesecake Factory is the only place around me that I will wait a long time for. Not overrated at all in my opinion. The "Lousiana Chicken Pasta" is wonderful as is any cheesecake. Lucky for me our Cheesecake Factory is in the mall, so you just show up when you are just a little hungry, put your name on the list and walk around the mall for awhile.

11. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Learn to cook.

Seriously, if you don't want to wait, don't go there. Some restaurants are very popular, often big chains like CF mean a big wait. Lots of times the food is not worth the wait, especially at the big national chains. Often they do call-ahead seating, so find out about that.

Also, Support your local restaurants instead of big chains.

12. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

I recently had an opposite experience, of sorts.

My wife was working on Christmas eve, so I decided to go out to dinner with my Mom.

We went to a nearby Chinese restaurant. It was PACKED. I've been there fairly often, and had never seen it like this. People could barely get in and out due to the crowd in the entry-way. We ALMOST left, but I thought... it's all big groups, shouldn't take long to get a table for two. I asked how long, and was told 15 minutes...so we waited. 12 minutes later, we had a table.

Now, what I found alternately amusing and annoying was a couple of people who had made a reservation for a party of 8. As we were sitting, waiting for a table, I listened to these folks moan, bitch and complain to themselves about having made a reservation for 6PM, and how dare they be kept waiting and so forth. They were really bitchy about it. I looked at my watch. It was 6:08 PM.

I just chuckled to myself. The restaurant was BEYOND busy.. busier than I've ever seen. It is NOT a massive place. Capacity of 100ish I'd guess. And here these folks couldn't see past their own noses long enough to realize the place was BUSY AS HELL. Oh my, you had to wait 10 minutes! HORRORS! [​IMG]

(They were seated mere minutes after we were... so they probably waited a total of 10-12 minutes.)

I don't mind waiting around 15 minutes or so, even with a reservation if the restaurant is visibly busy. Longer than that, and I'll go elsewhere.

Someone who waits an hour or more for a table is a little loopy, in my mind. [​IMG] I'd be LONG gone.

13. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I eat at off times also.

And the screwed up part about all of this? You go to the restaurant at 6pm and wait 2 hours. The people who just walk in the door at 8pm get seated immediately, the same time you do. So why spend that two hours in a restaurant lobby when you could be spending them at home?

14. Paul Bond

Paul Bond Stunt Coordinator

My wife and I have discovered another nice alternative to the long waits, crying children, and other occasional unhappinesses involved with dining out. We order "to-go" from one of our favorite restaurants (most have this option these days), bring it home, and dine comfortably, surrounded only by our dogs, with nice music on the CD, an entertaining movie in the DVD, or just pleasant conversation. Or even all three! :)

Paul

15. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Paul, as an added bonus you don't even have to tip for sub-par service, either! (Or do you??)

16. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I have a few rules of thumb about eating out I'd like to share:
    First rule of thumb is to avoid new restaurants because of the waits. This is to be expected if it's new.

2nd Rule of thumb for me is to not eat at 7-8pm. Generally this is when EVERYBODY eats. Eating at 6-6:30 or after 7:45 will get me no wait whatsoever if any.
    I've heard that about the Cheesecake Factory as well as a few other places like PF Changs.

The long waits have made us explore places we wouldn't normally go and we've found some nice places to go. With the way most cities are getting crowded, long waits at restaurants are expected.

17. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    There are too many restaurants around to bother with a wait like that. And after the "new" wears off, you'll be able to get in much easier. All new restaurants are packed just after they open. You should have seen the traffic jams at the new Wendy's that opened here recently.

Definitely. I'm convinced that many chains purposely build smaller-than-warranted restaurants just so people will have to wait all the time.

A new Longhorn Steakhouse just opened here. I swear I have closets bigger than that restaurant. During mealtimes, there's always a big line at the front entrance. I've been there a couple times during off-peak hours. Good food, but not worth waiting more than 10-15 minutes.

18. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

I only go to TCF once a year. I'm not big on valet type restaurants in the first place, but I do love this place. I have had to wait a long time for it also, parking is usually terrible being in the the city. But I did run into Mike Piazza and some Mets two years ago eating there.

19. wally

wally Second Unit

Not always. The Outback Steakhouse has been open for years and regularly has a line forming outside prior to the doors even opening. I refuse to wait more than 20-30 minutes for dinner, unless I'm out of town at a place I can't go to at home.

20. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

Well, "easier" is a relative term. A 1-hour wait being relatively "easier" than a 2-hour wait. [​IMG]

And, yes, we also have a tiny Outback Steakhouse here, too. [​IMG]