Latest on audio dropouts? (Onkyo, Denon, "Pearl Harbor", etc.)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LowellG, Feb 26, 2002.

1. LowellG

LowellG Stunt Coordinator

I was reading several posts a while back that dealt with audio dropouts. The specific movies mentioned were Jurassic Park 3, Pearl Harbor, and Atlantis. The Onkyo 797 and Denon 682/1602 were mentioned.

I haven’t seen anything for a while, is this still happening? Does it happen with other movies? Will the new receivers from Onkyo and Yamaha have this problem? Was it in the DVD or what? Very confused, please help. Thanks, Lowell

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

What are you confused about? Are you experiencing audio dropouts?

M.

3. LowellG

LowellG Stunt Coordinator

I am confused about buying a new receiver, and don't know whether to buy a current Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, etc, or wait for ones with newer chips. I don't want to have audio dropout problems.

4. Michael Reuben

OK, here's a basic premise: There is no way to tell whether equipment not yet released will have problems. It's not like Onkyo intended to have some of its receivers suffer from audio dropouts. Whenever there are new models, there's a risk of incompatibility with existing software. Can't be avoided. All you can do is stick to manufacturers who have a demonstrated history of addressing problems promptly.
    At this point, I'd probably refer you to the Onkyo/Denon problem threads, but I don't think those survived the recent server crash. Instead, I'll transfer this thread to Receivers and retitle it. Hopefully we'll attract the attention of some of the people who experienced the dropout phenomenon, and maybe we'll get an update on what (if anything) the manufacturers are doing about it.
    M.

5. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

i had audio drop out on jurrasic park 3 with denon avr1802. but...honestly, who cares? just use DTS track, and i am happy.

6. Michael Reuben

7. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

i am happy because that disc has dts track, thats all. off course i wouldnt be happy if it had no dts!

btw i have upgraded to avr2802, i havent had the chance to try it with the jp3 dvd though.

8. StevieC

StevieC Extra

9. DanKaps

DanKaps Extra

I have an Outlaw 1050 that experiences audio dropouts in Pearl Harbor, Jurassic Park III, and Atlantis. According to Outlaw's website, the problem is with their DD 6.1 encoded tracks and the way that they are flagged. A fix for the problem is to set your rear center channel to "Yes" even if you don't have one. This cures the dropouts on the Outlaw 1050. It may work on the other units also.
    Dan Kaps
    www.heartlandcables.com

10. Michael Reuben

11. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

Here is Onkyo's press release on this issue.

12. DanKaps

DanKaps Extra

That's right, Michael. I was wrong to use the term 6.1 since that implies a discreet rear center. I was referring to Dolby Digital EX encoding. Thanks.
    Dan Kaps
    www.heartlandcables.com