1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Latest Inductees to Rock Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Danny Tse, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

The Police, the Clash, Elvis Costello & The Attractions, the Righteous Brothers, and AC/DC are the latest Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees. Opinions?

2. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

Can't argue too much with any of those, except AC/DC which seems to be there more for sales and airplay than musical impact. I mean, AC/DC has just recorded the same album over and over again for 30 years. Is that a Hall of Fame achievement? But they're obviously an institution (or should be in one[​IMG]), so I can't complain too much. They've carved out a spot through sheer stubbornness.
    The others are good choices, especially Elvis and the Clash.
    Ryan

3. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

AC/DC certainly deserves to be in there. While there is a place for all the revolution and politics of The Clash and new wave sensibilities of Costello, AC/DC is about the other, more primitive side of rock: fun; partying; boogie. Yes, they recorded the same album over and over again- because that's who they are. They have zero pretention about being anything else. It's refreshing.

4. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Like all of them and have a soft spot for both Elvis Costello and The Police.
    Maybe we get a Police reunion out of this one. [​IMG]

5. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Solid choices all around. I'm especially pleased with the Clash, whose monumental presence and impact are largely forgotten by today's boy-band audience. I hope all four members (or is that 5, or maybe 7?) will attend, given the ongoing Strummer/Jones feud.

6. Pete Gia

Pete Gia Stunt Coordinator

I must stick up for AC/DC here. They should without a doubt be in the Hall of Fame. Very BASIC rock. I took my kid(and my earplugs) to see them when they were on the "Ballbreaker" tour. Great sound and show. It`s true though,that they`ve been hurting for fresh material since Back in Black. I always like to compare apples to apples when rating bands. I listen to many different types of music. You can`t,for instance compare AC/DC to the Police. Happy Listening, Pete

7. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

Very happy with all the choices, especially for one inductee (look under my name...[​IMG]).
    And AC/DC definitely belongs on that list; they are the epitome of minimalist, tight rock, which must've been a massive relief to listeners who were drowning in art/prog bands and overproduced stadium rock/pop when they appeared on the scene (late 70's, I believe).

8. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

AC/DC's got Big Balls.

9. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Strummer and Jones have long mended their fences; Joe Strummer wrote a bunch of songs for some of the earlier Big Audio Dynamite records. The problem in getting them to re-form in the US at all rests with Topper Headon, who was busted for drug possession with the intent to distribute in Britain and may not be allowed in this country.

10. David R. Hendrickson

David R. Hendrickson Stunt Coordinator

ac/dc - great choice for sure.

and if you think all the albums from 74 to 84 are the same, you weren't really listening...

11. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

Overall, I think that's a pretty good group. But my respect for the RnR Hall of Fame isn't near what it used to be. I can't argue with any of the inductees, but I also remember a certain artist "Peter Gabriel" who debuted in '77 and where is his first band "Genesis"? If they're finally going to open the doors to hard rock, then where is "Black Sabbath", "Kiss", "Rush", etc..

It seems like the induction criteria and/or voting committee isn't very consistent.

I would love to see a Police reunion, but I think Sting is a little too full of himself for that to ever happen. Hopefully they'll at least get together for a few songs at the induction.

12. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

Must be a kinder, gentler Music forum this year. I remember everyone being up in arms over Tom Petty and Talking Heads getting in last year.

So, yeah, go Big Balls!

Ryan

13. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

14. RickGr

RickGr Second Unit

There is a lot of politics with the selection committe. One has stated he would never vote for The Moody Blues yet in the late 60's to early 70's they were very unique and in fact I remember when For Our Children's Children's was released how it was considered a major event.

15. RickGr

RickGr Second Unit

Another group that has gotten the shaft is ELO. Jeff Lynne crafted a unique sound and many original hits and plain good songs and were popular as well but nada.

16. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

I am still hoping for the day that Cher gets in there...with Sonny or without. Tina Turner would be nice as well as a solo act. I would also like to see Pat Benatar find her way in there as well...she is one of the great pioneers for women in Rock music.

All in all I agree with their choices, but again...no women...why not at least one?

17. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I definitely agree that groups like Genesis and Moody Blues should've been in the Hall of Fame. But what about Linda Ronstadt? OK, she doesn't write her own material, but her music crosses over from country-rock to big band music (with Nelson Riddle). And they sell in the millions. And her voice is to die for.

I know I will get flamed for this: How about Hall & Oates?

18. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Sounds like the R&R Hall Of Fame is another club for the successful. How much money did the movie gorss - ET version. "What is success" Alain Toussaint sang.

I wouldn't want to belong to a club that would allow people like me in. (Marx)

Personally, I'm happy for the Righteous Brothers.

19. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

According to Stewart Copland, The Police will get together for 3 songs at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony.
    Read the story here.

20. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Danny,
    Missed your late post - I started a thread on this. It deserves a new thread, no?
    [​IMG]