1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Latest DVD technology ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kheng Hong, Oct 18, 2001.

1. Kheng Hong

Kheng Hong Agent

I'm upgrading my player. What should I look out for?
    I know several, can anyone add to this?
    1.DVD component output
    2.Progressive scan
    3.DTS-ES? Is the player involved here or is it just the amplifier?
    ------------------
    Sony ES Poster Boy

2. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

#3) the player and the receiver both need to support the technology (ie DTS, DTS EX, DD EX, etc.) and I guess youll need more speakers too if your getting es/ex
    but numbers 1 and 2 are obviously a must! (I hear that if you can get a DVD that support RGB, and your tv is such, thats better than component, but please, im no expert.)
    ------------------
    - Jason
    My DVD Collection | My Home Theater
    "what ya got here is two people dragging a third..."

3. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Kheng,
    DTS-ES is a function of the DTS decoder, in almost every system, this is either the receiver or the preamp/processor.
    I know of no DVD player with a DTS decoder that supports DTS-ES discrete or matrix decoding. Of course this doesn't mean there isn't one somewhere [​IMG]
    Regards,
    ------------------
    John Kotches
    Contributing Writer
    Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

4. Howard Christian

DTS-ES is really the job of the receiver or pre/pro as they have mentioned. What you really want to maybe lookout for is DVD-audio and the absence of the chroma bug. As usual I would recommend the Panasonic RP-91K, besides having component video and progressive scan, there's no chroma bug problems and also support DVD-Audio. It has been getting rave reviews, just do a search on it.
    PS:I have been to singapore and don't really see alot of dvds, rather a heck lot of vcds.

5. Kheng Hong

Kheng Hong Agent

Thanks guys for the advice!
    What's the difference between RGB and DVD component? When you say component, do you mean RCA/composite (red, white, yellow)?
    ------------------
    Sony ES Poster Boy

6. Kheng Hong

Kheng Hong Agent

It sucks that Singapore lacks DVDs. I only buy R1 DVDs and 'import' a bunch at a time when I travel. There's no hype over the release of supposedly hot titles here. Sometimes I wish I were in the US where such events are heralded as milestones in our lifes, only for this reason. I love Singapore and will never migrate. You all should come visit sometime when the storm has past.
    ------------------
    Sony ES Poster Boy

7. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
  8. Kheng Hong

Kheng Hong Agent

Thanks! I know DVD component is better than RCA. In fact, those red, white and yellow things have become extinct in my place. I am currently using s-video. But Jason's comment confused me...
    "but numbers 1 and 2 are obviously a must! (I hear that if you can get a DVD that support RGB, and your tv is such, thats better than component, but please, im no expert.)"
    ...he says RGB is better than component, am I right to say they are actually refering to the same thing?
    ------------------
    Sony ES Poster Boy

9. Duane M Davis

Duane M Davis Stunt Coordinator

Duane Davis
    I'm sure there are more educated folks than me on the RGB, but I think that is more for High Definition. Generally, component for DVD is the Luminance (Y) signal and the chroma (Pr, Pb color difference) signals. Television was originally Black and White. When color was developed, the signal had to be compatible with existing B/W TVs. The developers took advantage of the fact that eyes distinguish differences in light and dark better than colors, so they sent out the same black and white (luminance) signal and added a low resolution color signal.
    Composite sends the luminance and color signal along the same FM signal. S-video separates the luminance and chroma signals. Component separates the luminance and further separates the chroma into 2 more signals (red-difference and blue-difference {help me out, if I'm wrong with that particular, guys}). This is how most component DVDs operate.
    There is also a format (for HDTV, I believe) that instead of using the Luminance (Y) and Chroma (Pr-Pb), it seperates the signal into a red, blue and green signal. Another step is Horizontal and Vertical with sync signal. I'll leave that bit up to my more educated brethren on this forum.
    ------------------
    "Would you like to play spider with me?" ~Spider Baby
    [Edited last by Duane M Davis on October 19, 2001 at 10:34 AM]