What's new

Latest " Buzzword" Driving Me Nuts. (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
What I have found to be a "buzzword" on the reality shows i.e. Survivor/Temptation Island/etc. is "amazing" when describing another player in the game..everyone is amazing to everyone else. DAMN annoying!
Scooter,

I noticed in another thread that you mentioned you almost never listen to DVD commentaries- and with this comment you made above, I would advise you to continue to avoid them!

I swear to god, the word "amazing" comes up more often in a typical DVD commentary than the word "the". Check out the PT Anderson ones, I think he calls everything amazing. And the American Beauty one is bad as well.

Once upon a time I considered starting a "commentary reviews" database, where I would discuss and rate the various DVD commentaries-- if I ever get around to doing that project, I will certainly start an "amazing" counter for each track!

-Vince

CharlesD

Screenwriter
How about "Homicide Bombers"... who the fuck came up with that one?!!
The White House. Or at least they suggested that the term be used, and the less independent minded elements of the news media at least are doing what they are told.

No-one ever thought that a suicide bomber was simply "choosing to kill themselves by explosives" everyone knows what they are trying to kill innocent people. The term "suicide bomber" merely tells you how they are doing it.

A person who sets off a car-bomb that kills people is also a "homicide bomber" is he not? so I am not sure what point they are trying to make by muddying the waters with this new politicaly correct term.

Andy_S

Second Unit
Recently I read a review on Aint It Cool where the guy says Blade 2 "kicks ass, with a boot made of burning meat." We use that around the office now. Also, "rip a dick on it" to indicate we need something done quickly. Example:

Hey, can you reboot the web server? We're having problems with it. And rip a dick on it we need it up right away.

Alan Benson

Stunt Coordinator
I'd just like to say:
If one more boss or committee-chairperson or whatever tells me to think outside the box I'm gonna box their ears for them...
:D

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I had a lab partner who loved "f***'n fAAAAAAAAntastic" it was cute the first few times. Then it got really old really fast.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I if hear one more person say:
"Outside the box"
"Thinking outside of the box"
"Out of the box"
I'm going to go postal on them right before I rip their eyeballs out and piss on their brains! :)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
It used to be "Have a nice day", then it becamse "Have a good day", then "Have a great day", and now a supermarket employee actually told me to "Have a fabulous day". What's next, "Have a supercalifragilistic day?"

/Mike

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
I think the word 'fabulous' was all used up back in the 80's with Billy Crystal's famous 'You look faaabulous!'

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
Actually, Jeff, it was "You rook mahvehlous!"

And as for a new buzzword, I suggest "fuck-doodle"

"Hey, man, I got us free tickets to tonight's concert."

"Fuck-doodle! You rock."

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
A person who sets off a car-bomb that kills people is also a "homicide bomber" is he not? so I am not sure what point they are trying to make by muddying the waters with this new politicaly correct term.
So maybe we should try something novel. Use a politically incorrect term that more descriptive and accurate in explaining the action and motive of the "suicide bomber." Suicide assassin is sufficiently short and more accurately descriptive than the other two phrases.

Of course what is surprising is that the media in their "even handed search for truth" does not go the extra mile and use a phrase to cover all sides fairly. Alleged suicide assassin terrorist bomber self proclaimed martyr

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks