Lateral move from dc-2 to sacd/dvd-a compatible preamp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Eric_Hopewell, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Eric_Hopewell

Eric_Hopewell Auditioning

I'm looking to possibly move to a new sacd/dvd-a capable player but can't do either with my Lexicon dc-2. I hate to say goodbye to the performance of the Lex but can't afford to go to a mc-8. I figure the dc-2 would fetch around $1500 and wondered what might be available for around that price that would be close to the Lex in performance with the six channel inputs needed for dvd-a/sacd.

I have access to a Cary Audio P-7 for $1300 but have no experience at all with their gear. It would be a blind sale. Does anyone have any experience with the p-7 or any other possible recommendations. Preowned suggestions around $1500 are definite possibilities. Thanks to all.

Eric

2. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

Why not look for a Sony TAP-9000ES preamp?

Then you can use that to control multchannel sourced volume and still use your Lex for processing.

3. Eric_Hopewell

That's a good idea. I failed to say that I have been doing that off and on for about a month with no success. Also considering exploring a 6 channel input upgrade from MSB. Should work the same as the upgrade for DPL processors to handle DD/DTS. I was just looking for other opinions/options as well.

Eric

4. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

What do you mean by no success, Eric?

5. Eric_Hopewell

Sorry, I meant that I haven't had much success locating a Sony ta-p9000. But one showed up today on Audiogon for $475 obo. Does anyone have any links to info on the ta-p9000. I read a Stereophile review but it didn't show any back panel picture and I'm a bit confused about the 5.1 and 2-channel bypass inputs. Feel free to clarify but here's my understanding: It has two sets of 6 channel ins that are controlled by the tap, one set of 6 channel ins that are bypass and another set of 2 channel ins that are also bypass.

So: use one set of 6 channel ins for dvda/sacd using the preamp controls and the 6 channel bypass ins for the dc-2's outputs. The second would pass the dc-2's signals untouched to the amp. Is this correct? Thanks

6. Daryl Furkalo

Daryl Furkalo Second Unit

The DC-2 goes to the bypass 5.1 input. The DVD-A/SACD goes to the active 5.1 input. The TAP acts like a controller for your system. I have one and a Lex MC1, awesome combination for high-res audio and Logic7 home theatre [​IMG]