Late to the party, but just got my AV12!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Wes Nance, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Wes Nance

Wes Nance Stunt Coordinator

Hey,

I know this woofer is old news to many of you, but I just received my AV12, and I put it in my 85l "Thunder 12.3" cabinet that has 2 15" PR's at about 1400g. I also upgraded my amp to the Rhythmic 350 plate amp with the adjustable boost/rumble filter.

I just barely got the woofer to fit in the recessed cutout for my SAE1204 that preceded it. It looks like it was molded into the cabinet in one piece!

I was wondering if I would really hear a difference with this woofer and amp vs. the old one, but it's like night and day! I was noticing that with a 10hz break in tone, and also at 20hz I don't really hear anything with this woofer, but feel the energy. My old woofer had some "pitch" at these frequencies which I now know was distortion.

The AV12 sounds a lot "faster" than the other, while still in a PR cab. I haven't done a ton of listening, but I really like it, and it looks beautiful without a grill. (it's front firing)

I took all the stuffing out of it to mod the cab for the new amp size, and forgot to put it back in. I'm not really sure why I had stuffed it in the first place? I don't really need it for any tuning purposes. Do people stuff with polyfill for any "sound" reason- eg does having the polyfill in there cause the cabinet to sound any deader or change the sound in some way, or is it strictly a "tuning" issue?

Anyway, I think the AV12 is really a great product- thanks, John!

Wes Nance
    Rochester, NY

2. Andrus_R

Andrus_R Stunt Coordinator

I'm glad you are happy with av12. I on the other hand am pretty happy with my homebuilt tempest except on thing. I think i understuff the box with polyfil specially for my box which is known boombox design :)

I ma have to open her up and stuff another bag of poly in there to smooth out this "bump" a little. As I understand it, polyfil increases percieved box volume by the driver and it decreases box Q ... Hmmm whatever that means.

3. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Wes,

I know how ya feel!

I don't have a dual PR'd setup mind you.. But my one AV-12
    in a sealed .5Q Enclosure is fantastic.. 20Hz is Felt and
    not heard at all! (the way it should be!) [​IMG]

Cool stuff!

4. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Cool, Wes! I also noticed a positive difference when upgrading to an AV12 from a Dayton 12" DVC in a PR box and a Shiva in a ported 142L/18Hz cab, even with the same Adire AVA250 amp.

5. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

I'll let you guys know how my AV12/Rythmik amp/LT circuit sub works out in a couple of weeks. Should be an awesome little setup if it performs even remotely close to the LT spreadsheet's predictions. I've got some response graphs of my Tumult/LT combo that'll I'll be posting soon too! [​IMG]

6. Wes Nance

Wes Nance Stunt Coordinator

Brian,

Are you using the LT circuit that Rythmik is selling for $25? That seems like a great deal to get a LT integrated into that plate amp.

I was impressed when I compared that amp to the PE 250w amp. The capacitor value is twice as high as the PE (2 x 6800)and the power supply was quite a bit larger. Having the adjustable boost/filter is handy as well.

Have you tried/heard any of the servo products that Rythmik sells? They look really interesting- just curious what kind of impact the servo has on the sound.

I still can't believe I got the AV12 to fit in the countersink hole for my SAE1204. It seriously looks like it was molded into the wood.

Wes

7. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Wes,

Yes, Brian is building LT's for me to my specs for stuff that I sell to my customers.

I haven't heard the servo products. I do know of one guy that bought one and said it sounded nice with music but just wasn't capable of the output he was looking for for HT. I believe he said he was bottoming the driver pretty easily.