What's new

Pre-Order Last Year at Marienbad (1961) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
228263_front.jpg

The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Criterion did release a nice looking Blu-ray but we will see about this 4K restoration from StudioCanal. Below are the extras:

-Audio commentary by film historian Tim Lucas
-Trailers
-Booklet essay by Vanity Fair film critic K. Austin Collins
-Interview with filmmaker Volker Schlöndorff
-Last Year at Marienbad A to Z, a visual essay by James Quandt, programmer for the TIFF Cinematheque
-Memories of Last Year at Marienbad, a making-of doc using Super-8 footage shot on set
-Toute la mémoire du monde (1957), a short film by Alain Resnai

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I bought the UK (Studiocanal) blu-ray of the recent restoration a couple of weeks ago. Lovely b&w cinematography of a very strange film. Needs another viewing to make sense of it.

Whilst watching I was reminded of the video to the Ultravox song Vienna. The video was influenced by The Third Man, perhaps the director had also seen this film, as there are similar stylistic touches.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I regretted selling my Criterion Blu of this, so I'm definitely picking up the Kino edition.

This is a hypnotic, beautiful film. It's easy to see the influence it, especially The Shining. It's worth noting it was shot by Sasha Vierny, who also photographed Resnais' Night and Fog and Hiroshima Mon Amour, as well as many of Peter Greenaway's films like The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover and A Zed and Two Noughts.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I regretted selling my Criterion Blu of this, so I'm definitely picking up the Kino edition.

This is a hypnotic, beautiful film. It's easy to see the influence it, especially The Shining. It's worth noting it was shot by Sasha Vierny, who also photographed Resnais' Night and Fog and Hiroshima Mon Amour, as well as many of Peter Greenaway's films like The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover and A Zed and Two Noughts.
Fascinating film which I first saw in my teen years in a widescreen transfer in Puerto Rico public TV! In the mid-sixties! I fell under its spell and under the bewitching allure of Delphine Seyrig (I did get to see her on stage, O happy mortal!!!).

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I tried searching for my Blu-ray review of the Criterion release of the film, but only came up with the DVD review. I reviewed the Blu-ray three days after the DVD.

I thought folks might want to compare bonus features between the Criterion and this new release.

Last edited:

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I like these films which are a triumph of style over substance. Where you can sit back and enjoy the cinematography. Another in this theme (albeit in colour) is the more contemporary 'The Great Beauty'.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks