"Last Waltz" announced for DVD-A

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alan_Horner, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Alan_Horner

Alan_Horner Stunt Coordinator

DVD Empire just added The Last Waltz to their database for pre-order, set for release from Rhino on April 30. Despite the extended running time (it's a two-disc set on regular CD), the list price is posted as $24.98. Here's the info, courtesy of DVD Empire:

2. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

Hmmm. This is just the original three LP/two CD set, not the expanded 4 CD set coming two weeks earlier from Rhino with 24 new tracks.

I was being tempted by the DVD-A, but I'll stick with the CD set to get the new music, and get my surround fix from the DVD-V...

Ryan

3. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Hmmmm... do we yet know what new performances will be included on the DVD-V? I 'spose we'll have to get the CD-set for everything? Are there tracklists available?

I've never listened to a DVD-A disc, and have a couple of questions. Does it require a special player? Is it just 6-channel sound in a non-lossy (non Dolby Digital/DTS) format?

4. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

The DVD will have the normal movie (more or less the same stuff as the original LP/CD, give or take a track or two), with a couple bonus jams included as extras. The CD set looks like the place to go for "new" material. I haven't seen a tracklist for the CDs yet, but there's a press release on the Rhino site that indicates 24 unreleased tracks, including rehearsals.

DVD-As include a high bitrate uncompressed track that you can only play with a DVD-A player, as well as a DD and/or DTS track that will work on any DVD player.

Ryan