What's new

Last Tango in Paris SE: anyone up for that? (1 Viewer)

Lino Reno

Stunt Coordinator
This film has become one of my favorites of all time through the years for various reasons and I was wondering if there are any plans for an updated look at the current DVD.

There is a current 2xDVD edition on sale in Italy with loads of new interviews and featurettes and I was thinking if MGM is thinking of revisiting this title - they could very well buy the rights of the italian DVD interviews and save some money on the production of new ones.

One nice little touch would be the inclusion of Pauline Kael's now famous and legendary article on the film itself! I personally would love to see it there. Oh, and the picture COULD do with a little bit of retouching as well...!

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Pauline Kael's article serves as the liner notes to Criterion's long OOP laserdisc edition of the film.

The Criterion LD is properly framed at 1.66:1, while the DVD is overmatted at about 1.9:1. Noggins are chopped off on the DVD.

I would settle for a new, properly framed transfer. But new interviews and supplemental features are always nice. :)

Real Name
Anthony
Lino - I'm totally up for that ! I mean, love it or hate it, this is a culturally important movie and it deserves much better treatment. Bertolucci isn't averse to doing commentaries either - he's done THE SHELTERING SKY, THE LAST EMPEROR and THE DREAMERS at least. That said, he's still a neglected director on DVD - we don't yet have THE CONFORMIST or 1900 either.

What are the extras on the Italian disc exactly ? Do they have subs ? Is it worth getting, basically ?

Lino Reno

Stunt Coordinator
You can find it at most italian etailers: dvd.it, or dvdonline.it, dvd2k.it, dvdland.it, internetbookshop.it are a few.

As for extras, there are:

- Bertolucci, 30 years later
- The most famous 8 seconds of Censorship History
- Exclusive interview with Bernardo Bertolucci
- Special: Last Tango in Paris
- Last Tango in Paris and Censorship

I don't have this DVD (yet...!), so I can't say what these supplements are about except guessing they're interviews and maybe historical documents.

Still, very nice set of extras! And apparently you can see it in its original audio, which is rare for italian DVDs which normally only offer italian audio. In fact, I have the 1900 (Novecento) 2xDVD (which presently is only available in Italy, but you get the complete cut!) and it's only in italian with italian subs...which is ok with me but not so ok with many other people in the world...in fact, TOO much people in the world...!

Real Name
Anthony
I've checked all these sites and it's a little confusing. There seem to be two different covers shown and the prices vary quite wildly but they all seem to be the special edition. Some state that the only soundtracks for the film itself are French and Italian. One site says that it won't be released until the 30th of June.

Lino - will you be getting this disc ? I'd feel happier if someone could officially confirm the specs before I order it.

Lino Reno

Stunt Coordinator
So do I...:D

Tell you what - I probably won't be getting it this month, but maybe next one I will. As soon as I get it, I'll post somthing for you, ok?

BTW, there is also a wonderful 2xDVD italian edition for Bertolucci's Before the Revolution and I can confirm that there are english subtitles for the feature and all of the extras! How's that? Sweet!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks