Last request for speaker feedback before i make a purchase

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen Hopkins, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I'm looking for and last thoughts before i pull the trigger on the following:

JBL N28 Mains ($120 shipped, ebay)
    JBL NSP1 Center/Surrounds/Back ($245 shipped, yahoo shopping)

Is there any other 7 speaker combination i can put together that would sound better for around $350 that includes a monitor sized (larger than bookshelf) set of mains? I'm replacing the following:

Sony MB300H Mains
    Sony MB100H Surrounds/Backs
    Sony CN490 Center

I'm using a Pioneer VSX-D811S receiver, but hope to possible move up to a 43TX around Christmas, depending on $$.

I'll be keeping my RCA 200W 12" sub until i finish my DIY Swan 305.

I'd really wanted to wait until i could afford a full paradigm monitor setup, but i would have to pinch and save for probably over a year and a half and probably two to get the $$ together.

Any opinions/suggestions would be appreciated, and the quicker the better, because i'm probably going to order tonight or tomorrow.

2. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

Quite a few people have JBL on this forum and I dont' believe I have read one bad thing about them. I don't think you can go wrong with your choice. It's going to be a big improvement over the Sony speakers and it will be the first step in a long line of upgrades you will make over the next few years. [​IMG]

3. DanielN

DanielN Stunt Coordinator

Go for it Stephen, Im right behind you in my purchase of the exact setup.

4. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

Thanks for verifying my purchase, since even though it may be a small one for some, a college kid with no income, $350 is alot of money. Now i get to start scratching and scrounging for another 4 or 5 months so i can get the Pioneer Elite 43TX [​IMG]

5. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Stephen:

You'll love the speakers; they're a step up from what you were using.

--AM

6. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

Stephen,

7. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

Also, i just thought of this...

Would it be better to get 3 pairs of N28s and use them in a 6.1 setup, then maybe a month or 2 down the road pick up an N Center to move me on up to 7.1? Or would the N28s be overkill as surrounds and not really give me that much improvement over what i'm planning on buying?

thanks

8. Pablo Abularach

Stephen,

As you might know the surrounds are the less used speakers on a HT, but having identical speakers is great, I have Four S26, and it sounds amazing. If you have the money, and you could mount N28 then go for it.

Now the only thing that always happens in this hobby is that every other speakers is just a couple of bucks above, so everybody starts to go up, and when you make numbers you are $500 over your budget. But the best invesment on a HT is speakers, the tecnology hasnt change that much and I think it wont change in some time.

Hope this helps,
    Pablo Abularach

9. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

The more i think about it, the N28s would be physically too large for surrounds in my room. The Surround Right would block the view of the television from the kitchen. The Surround back(s) would not fit behind my couch well without moving it further from the wall. I would also have to shorten my current 36" stands, and probably completely rebuild, to accommodate the N28s. For this reason, and the fact that i'd rather move right into a 7.1 setup, i think i'll go with the N28s as mains, and the NSP1 package for my center, surrounds, and back surrounds. I've also decided to order from J&R instead of Ebay and some other random yahoo shopping site because they are offering free shipping, and the N28s on ebay for $120 shipped were new, but they had some damage to the box. This is once that i'll pay $15 more for the piece of mind of ordering from a vendor who is recommended alot on this forum as opposed to a random yahoo shopping vendor and an ebay seller that deals in store returns and blemished packaging items.

Thanks for the advice. I guess i really just needed to hear some validation of my selection and get a little feedback on some other ideas rolling around in my head.

10. Pablo Abularach

Stephen,

You are in win win situation with JBL. I audtion the NSP1 a couple a months ago, and I was very impressed with the detail this little speakers can deliver. Also consider that most recievers have a 100Hz cross over, and the N24 can reach 89Hz, so the speaker will handle everything the reciever sends to them. I almost bought an NSP1, but the S center won me, so I went with studio series.

Congratulations on your system, when you recieve it and calibrate it, please give us some feedback, I havent heard the N28.

11. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

The best buy i went to to demo everything didn't have the N28, so i used the N26II as comparison. I thought the N26II sounded great, so the N28s could only sound better because they go down to 50hz as opposed to 55hz. Probably won't make that much of a difference, but i like the size of the N28s better too. I wasn't able to try the N26s with the N24s... i was only able to try a N24/Ncenter setup, and a N38/N24/NCenter setup, but i was impressed with both. I'm sure the N38s would sound better for music or if i wasn't using a sub, but since i'm 99% HT/DVD/TV and i have a decent sub and am in the process of building a great sub, the N38s would be overkill performance and price wise.