What's new

Last Question before I buy... Sports Suspension/Performance tires or not.... (1 Viewer)

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Well I'm ordering my 2002 A4 this weekend, I've decided to get the '02 because they are butchering the '03 :frowning:
But I'm down to sport suspension / performance tires.
Cost wise its a dang good deal. So do I get 17" Performance tires and sport suspension with some 15" steal rims / winter tires for the the winter.
or 16" All season rims with "regular" suspension.
This annoying guy in mpls is trying to convince me to get sport package and snow tires instead of non-sport 16" wheels... but he may be right... I don't know! ARG!!!!!!!!!
I know its a harsher ride with the sport... but do you get used to it? I like the idea of better handling.
Is it worth it to swap tires, or a major pain in the butt...
I'm in Minnesota so we get nasty winters sometimes.....
Any ideas / Opinions?? I've decided on everything but this...... :-/
Brian

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Get the sport, but you would do well to have a set of winter tires/rims. Swapping them is pretty easy, you can do it yourself or have a shop do it. Should not cost more than $20 (from an honest shop) when the seasons change.
If you aren't a "sporty" driver, you may not want the sport package. I think you get used to stiffer suspension. IMO, even the sport packages offered by most companies is too soft for my tastes, but that's me :D

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
I'm with John. I love stiff suspension. In a sports car, that is, which I drive...

If you want to drive it like a sports car, or really enjoy driving (if you're the type of person who drives his car just for the fun of driving it, with no destination necessary), then get the sport package. If you're just buying it to get from point A to point B, then don't bother.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Get the sport suspension. The 17" wheels on the A4 are very nice, much better than the 16" wheels from an aesthetics point of view.

Getting a second set of wheels for the A4 won't be hard. Take a look through the classifieds and I'm sure you'll find a second set for cheap to use with your snowies.

Patrick

Wayne Murphy

Stunt Coordinator
get the sport and snows for winter!!!!!!!!

It's not as expensive as you think. If you divide the cost of the sport tires by the time you use them and factor in the extra life because you use snows in the winter.

I've been doing it for the last 8 years and I won't go back to 'NO SEASONS' tires. They aren't great at anything.

Wayne

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
I agree with the sport/winter packages. The all seasons will not get you through a snow-ful winter. I'm also sure the A4's sport isn't as stiff as you think it might be. Audi/BMW are moving more into the luxury market and have been moving to "softer" suspensions even the sport packages have been softened to a lot of enthusiast's dismay.

I've got a 330i w/sport and 17" wheels (BBS RK's) and it's the perfect mix between sport handling and comfort. Even the wife likes to drive it and she drives a cushy (soft?) Yukon XL. If I need a more performance, I'd just have to replace the sway bars (thicker) and I'd be track ready.

Bob

AviTevet

Stunt Coordinator
You should always get snow tires in an area with a *real* winter :). You will always be able to stop quicker in slick conditions, and that alone makes it worth it.
About 15" wheels... they may not fit over your brakes. I know there's only one 15" wheel model that fits over the brakes in my car, and they're an expensive racing model. You might have to go with 16" wheels and tires, which bumps the total cost up between $20 and $100 (maybe more).

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Sport suspension will definitely be more funner.

So what are they doing to the A4 next year that's so bad?

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Changes to 03' A4 I don't like:
1. No more rear heated seats, instead you can only get front heated with a ski bag.
2. Sunroof and homelink now come in package with leather seats, I don't want to be forced to buy leather just to get the sunroof.
3. Aluminum Trim is being replaced by fiberglass, just looks blah IMO and I much prefer the Aluminum Trim
4. No more compass and auto dimming mirrors.
So basically I'll pay more for a car with less features. And The '02 A4 is the only A4 (and only car in its class) with Heated Rear Seats, which here in Minnesota is a nice thing :)
Brian

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
No more rear heated seats!? That sucks! Why did I have to buy that new house? Looks like I may have to buy a used A4 when I can afford a car again.

BTW, go with the sport suspension and separate winter wheels and tires. The sport suspension gives you a much more exhilarating ride.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Boy, those are bizarre changes. What company reduces the feature set on a car from year to year? It doesn't make sense. Maybe when they bring the new S4 over it will have some of those features.

Leo Hinze

Stunt Coordinator
IIRC, the standard suspension on the '02 A4 is similar to the sport suspension on the previous model year. So the standard suspension should be plenty stiff while offering a good ride. I drove the standard suspension '02 A4, and while it was a bit soft for me, it was much better than most other cars.

Regardless of the suspension you get, I still think you should have two sets of tires/wheels. All-season tires do not do a car like the A4Q justice. The car deserves to have performance tires in summer, and winter tires in winter.

Leo

Brad_V

Second Unit
Definitely need two sets of tires in Minnesota. I gave up on having all-seasons for snow. They can be ok, but they're never confidence-inspiring.

Suspension... I guess it depends on how sporty it is. I have 8-way adjustable HKS struts and H&R springs on my Eagle Talon, and even on the softest setting it's still rough. Turns on a dime, but my butt is getting too old for the ride.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks