What's new

Last Peice of the Puzzle.. HK or Pioneer?! (1 Viewer)

Hello! I have read these forums for some time now and I would like to thank all that give great advice to budding home theater enthusiasts like myself.

Recently I have been bitten by the upgrade bug, and junking my Sony and JBL stuff for some higher end equipment. I need just one main component before I can assemble the new system, that being the receiver. Let me tell you what I have now for a setup, Fronts (2) Paradigm Monitor 7's (1) CC-370 for the Center, (2) Mirage FX Parametric Rears and a 20-39PCi SVS Subwoofer.

The ONLY thing I need to start reworking my setup is the receiver and I am down to two.. HK 525 or the Pioneer Elite VSX 45TX, and I am leaning toward the Pioneer for the Mic setup for a dummy like me =)

Please chime in if you can.. I appreciate it.

Yogi

Screenwriter
I have heard great things about the Pio's MCACC setup and how it blends everything together. You could choose the Pio for that very reason. If however sound is a primary concern the 525 would be a clear winner. So choose based on your requirements. I think you would be happy with either.

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
I've been a long time advocate on this forum and others of the Pioneer.

I had the 520 (predecessor to the 525). No doubt the 525 is very good and should be considered. The 525 probably has stronger amps. It has Logic 7 which is a competitor of DPL2 for converting 2 channel audio to surround sound.

But, the Pioneer is great. The remote is much better than the 525. I love the remote. The MCACC is fabulous. If your not an expreieinced tuner. I GUARANTEE you won't be able to get a 525 to sound as good as the Pioneer. I have a very good ear and I love to tweak and I can't come close.

Now, you should be aware that there is a rumor over on AVSForum that Pioneer is replacing a board on the 45 to deal with a shutdown condition that some have experienced.

Mine has shutdown only after reference levels in the room were exceeded and the bass freq's on the eq were cranked all the way up and the bass tone control cranked all the way up. I reached 98 db avg and 105 db peaks no problem. When I hit 100 db average and 107 db peaks it shut off. No way do I listen at these volumes.

It may just be a rumor and is not confirmed. Anyway, they are supposed to be shipping the new units in 2 weeks. So, get a new one if you wait.

You won't go wrong with either but I tell you the Pioneers are very very good.

Mike

Yes I think I need that MCACC setup as you guys refer to it.. see told you I am a HT newbie =)

You talk dB and levels I get lost, I just want a great sounding "WOW" system for me and the family without breaking the bank. Now the statement that "Pioneer setup feature is a really nice feature but if you want sound clarity then HK wins hands down" has me a little puzzled and miffed.

Is there that much difference in the sound quality of these two? or is HK just that good? Sorry for naive question..

Tony

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Anthony, the best advice is your own ears. Go and listen to each of those receivers. You owe it to yourself if you are spending that kind of money. We can all tell you what we like, but that's just what it is... what WE like. You have to live with it not us or the sales person. There are plenty of people who like HK and plenty of people who like Elite. I happen to like Elite as I was an Elite owner for 10 years and did not have any trouble (at any volume), but then again that was their older stuff.
HK, IMHO, makes good, solid, stuff. They always get great reviews and are well thought of. Would I buy them? No, because of several reasons which I will not share here.
What matters most again, is you!
You might wanna check out audioreview.com under reviews and just read what people say about reliabilty and what problems people have experienced with each one. Ask the sales person (if your buying in person) "Do these get returned alot?"
You should be the one deciding which sounds better. Maybe listen to a high dollar, high end system just to get a reference first.
I don't know, I might be dumb.
Good luck!

Thanks Chris that made a lot of sense. I will take your advice and try to find both locally. Only problem I see now is that I might not be able to find both same place with the same speaker setups, which would probably make a difference too.

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
I should also point out that the HK525 also has DPII in addition to Logic 7. That being said, many people view the HK as best for music, but I use it for HT and find it powers exceptionally well.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The rumor about the board replacement on the VSX45TX is apparently just that--a rumor.

I checked the relevant thread over at AVS again this evening and the only source for that "board replacement" story was one particular vendor. Other vendors and many local dealers have been consulted, one poster went to his local dealer and sat in when that dealer called Pioneers distribution branch--no "board replacement" delay.

That being said, it states in the owner's manual for the 45tx that it is suitable for speakers with 6 to 16 ohm resistance. There are 2 speaker impedance settings available on the receiver, one for 8+ ohm speakers and one for 6-8 ohm speakers.

If one has or is contemplating getting 4 ohm speakers, I'd stay away from the 45tx.

I own one, and my speakers (I have a 7.1 setup, btw) are all nominally rated at 8 ohms impedance. I have run mine at ear-bleeding volume and have not had a shutdown yet.

As far as any other aspect of performance, I couldn't be happier. The setup is a snap. The remote is intimidating at first glance but is very easy and logical in use. I'm hearing stuff I never heard before with my Yamaha RXV-795 or Sony 333ES receivers.

I was contemplating a speaker upgrade until I got this receiver. MCACC made my present ones sound so much better I no longer feel the need.

TimTurtino

Stunt Coordinator
Honestly, I don't know about the MCACC setup thing, but the 525 has a little microphone in the remote that it uses to set speakers levels.

Me

PatrickKing

Auditioning
Couldn't help but eavsdrop, but this subject explains my current situation. I thought I had convinced myself in buying the STRDA4ES, but now I too am wondering about the 45TX. Due to many reasons, I will most likely have to make this purchase solely on reputation. Does the 4ES even compare in this grouping? I have read many posts from 4ES owners who couldn't say enough good things about them, but the MCACC feature on the Pioneer has me intrigued. I am also a rank amature at HT set-up, so I could definitely benefit. 4ES? 45TX?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks