Last Orders...another winner

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jan Strnad, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

I happened upon another excellent drama newly released on DVD: Last Orders.

It's a marvelous ensemble piece featuring Michael Caine, Bob Hoskins, Tom Courtenay, David Hemmings, Helen Mirren and an actor whose name I've regretably forgotten.

In the opening of the film, Michael Caine is dead, and his ashes have been brought to the pub where he spent many hours with his pals (Hoskins, Courtenay and Hemmings). Caine's son Vince (played by the forgotten actor) arrives to carry out Caine's "Last Orders," to deposit his ashes into the sea. The three surviving friends and the son set out on a road trip to the ocean with Caine's ashes in tow.

Throughout the trip we're treated to flashbacks, exquisitely woven into the present day action, revealing the relationships among these men, Caine's wife (Mirren) and Caine's mentally defective daughter, Jane.

My only problem with the film was deciphering the thick British/Cockney accents. I should have turned on the subtitles.

All in all, Last Orders is a real actors' movie, played by some of the best in the business.

Jan

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

3. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

And this is what I had to say about Last Orders back in March.
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ht=last+orders
    It surprises me that it's taken 5 months for anyone else to mention this little gem, as it's really well done. Hopefully your thread will get more replies than mine did Jan... oh wait... it already has. :b
    EDIT: Ah, so after reading Michael's post I see it has been mentioned then. I was just searching in thread titles. [​IMG] Anyway, I'm still mad no one replied in my thread. [​IMG] :p) [​IMG]

4. Michael Reuben

Ben, remember this link:
    2002 Alternative, Foreign, Independent and Arthouse Films
    It's where all the "little films" get discussed. There was a 2001 verion (now archived), and I guaranatee there will be a 2003 successor.

5. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

Ha ha Michael, it looks like we're just missing each other. Above post edited.

6. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

I totally missed all mention of this film when it was released theatrically. Let's hope it has more life on DVD!

Jan

7. Michael Reuben

The disadvantage of consolidating all the reviews of limited-release films into one thread is that you don't know what's there unless you routinely monitor the thread (which a lot of people do). The advantage is that the thread remains active, so that the reviews don't sink to the bottom of the forum and scroll off. It's the best approach anyone's been able to devise.

M.

8. Mario Bartel

Mario Bartel Stunt Coordinator

9. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Just got done watching this DVD. What a fantastic little movie this is! I don't want to go into too much detail (since I still have to write my review!), but I really enjoyed Last Orders and would absolutely recommend it to anyone looking for something a bit 'quieter'.
    Anyone listen to any of the Fred Schepisi commentary?

10. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I finally got around to watching this as a rental. I really liked the book and was afraid the film would not do it justice. I had no reason to fear. The film is a wonderful adaptation that distills the essence of the book quite well. The ensemble cast is terrific - and not just the well-known names, either. The actors cast to play the characters at younger ages are very good as are the various supporting roles. The assured direction, design, and editing make the multiple flashback structure very easy to follow. The film is very well shot by Brian Tufano who also lensed Trainspotting and Billy Elliot. Compared to some of the recent action blockbusters I have been watching, it was fascinating to see a film so skillfully assembled in a way that draws you in to the unfolding storyline and characterizations without ever drawing attention to its own cleverness.

The DVD is well presented on a single layer disc with a trailer and director's commentary for extras. Fred Schepisi's commentary is low-key, but very informative. He discusses just about everything you would want to know about the film with some interesting anecdotes about why 2.35:1 framing was chosen as well as how they used CGI digital compositing to get some very sophisticated shots of the characters holding conversations while riding in a Mercedes. You would swear it was shot with multiple cameras in a real vehicle due to the perfect synchronization of the background images of moving traffic and countryside with every cut.

Regards,

11. mike martin

mike martin Stunt Coordinator

Mark down another one who enjoyed this film. I am always a sucker for english ensemble casts. I can't say that I loved it though. Much of the plot was pretty transparent; but the performances made up for it I suppose. I did listen to most of the commentary. I would rate it as average. He pointed out some interesting things but I didn't enjoy his need to point out every single digital effect shot. To be sure the effects were good since I didn't notice any of them; but he wouldn't let it go.

12. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Thanks to Jan, I rented this a couple of months ago-- a wonderful and extremely moving film. Ray Winstone in particular was fantastic.