What's new

"Last of the Mohicians" disappointed! (1 Viewer)

Jim Robbins

Stunt Coordinator
I had purchased the LOTM early when it wasn't anamorphic. I recently purchased the later release (price droped from $22 to $12 recently) and was hoping for a sharper image. It was only slightly better with the image still way too soft. I would like to think that there must be a sharper HD transfer in the future for this film.

Gruson

Second Unit
I just want the ORIGINAL, theatrical version.

I miss it!

Damn this Director's cut.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
My preference would be a version with seamless branching, so you could see either the theatrical release or the director's cut.

Commentary would be nice, as well as trailers.

This is one title that really screams for a comprehensive special edition, complete with audio and video remastering/clean-up.

Someday....

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
This is the only movie in my top ten list that I haven't bought on DVD, only reason being that I absolutely hate the changes in the director's cut. I would buy the original superior theatrical cut in a heartbeat, even in a bare-bones release.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Count me in as another that prefers the theatrical cut. The d.c. wasn't terrible, but for both the scene of the spy escaping the fort and the ending, I much prefer the theatrical version. I dunno', maybe I'm just more familiar with it.

Still, this is the Director's vision (this year, at least). Was M. Mann denied final cut when it was first released in theaters?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I would buy a two-disc set, if that's what it takes to get a beautiful anamorphic version of both cuts. But the theatrical version has to be present (if only for the soundtrack!).

Cees

RickardL

Supporting Actor
As mentioned, the R4 and the UK R2, is the theatrical cut
in anamorphic 2.35:1 and with *isolated music score* in
Dolby Digital 5.1!!

I have the R1 DTS but I have been thinking of getting
the theatrical version since I actually prefer that myself.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
My 2 cents...

On my FP, the new release offers a big improvement in picture quality over the original release.

I love the film, but I loathe the changes made to Chingachgook's soliloquy. The original, spare, elegiac version is *so* much better than the bloated, connect the dots, dialog in the director's cut. The last time I viewed the DVD, I actually stopped prior to the soliloquy. UGGHHH!!

- Walter.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
I've only seen the theatrical cut once on VHS, and was not able to pinpoint differences when I bought the DVD (twice, ended up being a $4 upgrade that was well worth it).

I had thought that the DC was only extended and did not notice the deletions. After reading about them, I would be willing to upgrade yet again for release with both versions seamlessly branched.

I seriously doubt it will happen though. From what I have heard, Mann is very particular about his films. I remember it being at his request that a trailer and other extras not be included on the disc.

I had always wondered where that song on the soundtrack fit into the movie.

MattGuyOR

Stunt Coordinator
I prefer the director's cut. I'm glad they dropped the Clannad song. As nice a song as it is, it just didn't fit and seemed cheesy. I like the extended speech at the end. I thought it was beautiful and made for a less abrupt ending.

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
The best part that they cut was the "someday you and I are going to have a real disagreement" line. I always cringed when I heard that one. I think I like the DC better. I do like the Clannad song, but it did seem out of place in the film.

Gruson

Second Unit
This was actually one of my favorite lines they cut!

"someday you and I are going to have a real disagreement"

I really need a player that is region free/progressive......

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks